• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

You know you own/drive a XJ when...

you know you can multiquote right? :spin1:

hit the button that says "+ on it right next to the quote button for every post you want to reply to. Then when you are done reading, hit the post reply button and you'll have them all in one spot.

you know you can multiquote right? :spin1:

hit the button that says "+ on it right next to the quote button for every post you want to reply to. Then when you are done reading, hit the post reply button and you'll have them all in one spot.

Crap, I've been on here for 5 years and didn't know that!! I's always click "quote", then copy that "reply", go back to the thread, and "quote" the second one, and paste the copied one in to the same reply.

My first :doh: of 2012!!! Yay!! (Of course, I spent the first 16 hours of New Year's Day on the dirt, a ways away from cell signal, so that lowered the :doh: quotient for most of my day).

You know it's an XJ when you spend the first twenty minutes of a drive after a two week (or more) rest wondering which of the shakes, rattles, and noises are normal and which may be a sign of impending doom.

This is me. After the 20 minutes I remember that everything self clearances and will be OK.

...when you fix the EGR valve with a pair of scissors and two screws...and it suddenly runs better than new.

...when you fix the used one the previously owner unloaded for cheap with a $13 used power steering pump and 2 screws.

...when every XJ in the family's Check Engine Light is permanently on but they all run fine.

...when the passenger can sometimes put down the power window, but the driver always had to put it up.

...the rear overhead light refuses to come on, but if left in the on position will drain a battery stone dead in under 6 hours.

...your left turn signal light is permanently lit while driving but the turn signal works fine.

...when your rear hatch shudders so violently at 60 mph you're afraid the glass will blow out so you've resolved yourself to drive 58mph even on the freeway.

when you realize all the things wrong with your rig in the span of 8 minutes, and dont know the edit button :anon:

Scratch that, step 1 is lift jeep

Mines got a 3" lift that supposedly gave me 4.5" (sure it was just the good ol' factory sag) and I had a hell of a time, 1) getting the pan off & out and 2) reinstalling it with the gasket... so even now this is my step 1

...when you think you're in need of a wheel balance, and find out the front pads have dug divots in the mounting surfaces on the knuckles. Then you fix them, and viola, no need for a wheel balance. But your pads are shot and the rotor is blue, because the brake pads have been dragging...

When you're too busy trying to keep a rig on the road that you forget which groups your in for years because you're no longer online every day.

Glad to see this place hasn't died out completely!

...when you fly 400 miles to pick up an XJ that has been sitting in someone's driveway undriven for 4 years, and driving it back is your only option, through 100+ degree desert heat, because it is totally stock, straight, rust-free and only has 217K miles, and knowing that whatever may break or fail you can rig something to get you home.

Then 3 years later you fly the entire family from Phx to Atlanta in December to buy a sight-unseen stock, straight, rust free 1999 Limited with 180K miles and road trip it back.

That first trip I dragged my new-at-the-time girlfriend with me. As much as she worried on that first trip, she was excited about the second trip. I need to marry that woman.

Last edited:
You might be an XJ owner if...
1: your girl/significant other is worried about it making it to work.
2: you carry around your tool bag "just in case"
3: you spend more on tires,oil & a lift kit than you spent on the rig itself!

There's still some left???

When you have to "help a friend" when a garage mechanic tells them first they have a valve tap, then a week later (of not driving it) that it's a rod and they have to replace the engine!

Not many. Post "Cash For Clunkers" I've been lucky to find a few that qualify.

You know you own/drive an XJ when you compare everything else you ride to your favorite... "mule".

Back