• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

You all be careful out there.....

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
There was a death in Harlan this week. A guy from SC. This is what I know. Be careful guys and gals!

Hey Guys here is what happened. The group had been wheeling that day and wound up at Lower Rockgarden, it was getting late so they were gonna head back to camp(they were camping on the Putney side) seeing they were so close to Evarts side Gade decided to get some ice for the next day in Evarts. The other 2 guys just headed back to camp while Gabe and Heather went to the store. They got the ice and Gabe let Heather drive the Jeep back to the Putney side on the way back Heather told Gabe the jeep was driving funny, they swapped seats and Gabe headed back to camp when the jeep went off the mountain(turns out the panhard mount broke off the unibody), Heather said it rolled about 3 times, then came to rest on a lower trail. The jeep was on its side and on Gabes leg but he got out from under the jeep and leaned on the cage while Heather was getting out of the jeep. He kept saying he was so sorry, and they talked for about 1 min or 2 then he passed out, Heather called for help and other friends arrived and started CPR. He was not gonna make it, his body started swelling immediately; they did CPR the whole time till he got to the ambulance. He was pronounced dead on the scene though.

Also I wanted to mention the towing company that got the jeep; they had to work about 4 hrs getting it back up the mountain. Our friends drove up there to get the jeep and called the tow company, he said it would be at least 200 just to cover fuel and labor. When our friends got there and told the owner the story and that his pregnant wife was in the jeep the owner said that he didn’t not want any money. He told our friends to give the money to Gabes wife. The name of the tow company was Alan's Towing in Harlan, KY. Just wanted to give them a big thanks!

There is goign to be a benefit ride. They are taking donatios for the family. Full therad is here:

http://www.offroadsc.com/showthread.php?2652-Lost-another-one-Gabe-Gardner-you-will-be-missed

Glen, I'm confused or maybe I just don't know he area well but was he on the public road or on a trail/private drive.

I hate to hear of these things happening. A fun day wheelin should not turn into this. Sucks for his family and little one on the way.

Glen, I'm confused or maybe I just don't know he area well but was he on the public road or on a trail/private drive.

I hate to hear of these things happening. A fun day wheelin should not turn into this. Sucks for his family and little one on the way.

He was on the main trail by Lower Rock Garden. Not sure exactly where it happened.

He was on the main trail by Lower Rock Garden. Not sure exactly where it happened.

I hope this doesn't turn into a lawsuit or something worse. Folks if it aint driving right, stop and inspect it. I hate to be critical but we beat on these things hard and things will break that can cause things like this to happen.

I hope this doesn't turn into a lawsuit or something worse. Folks if it aint driving right, stop and inspect it. I hate to be critical but we beat on these things hard and things will break that can cause things like this to happen.

Yea no doubt.... Stephen posted up on FB that this was his second customer this year that died from the lack of a seatbelt.

Harlan is the kind of place your rig needs to be in top condition for and you need to be on your game. The mountain is very steep on the side with the most trails. Many times you can look over the edge of the trail you are on and see where you will be down below. Some trails even run the tops of the mountain ridges.

Be careful and wheel safely. Our sport is fun but can be dangerous if not respected.

Harlan is the kind of place your rig needs to be in top condition for and you need to be on your game. The mountain is very steep on the side with the most trails. Many times you can look over the edge of the trail you are on and see where you will be down below. Some trails even run the tops of the mountain ridges.

Be careful and wheel safely. Our sport is fun but can be dangerous if not respected.

This. Most importantly, safety first. Wear that seat belt....it takes all of a couple seconds to click it on and can very easily make all the difference in an accident.

My thoughts and prayers to his family and to those who knew him.

Read this on NC4x4 last night, its crazy to me that even after a close friend goes out the same way, you would be so careless. I cant describe the way I feel for his friends and family, I hate this.

I find it very unlikely the family would attempt a law suit, more likely the 4x4 community will take good care of his family.

Back