• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yokohama Y742S tires - anybody have them?

VigoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Good evening everyone! New member here.. I've been lurking for a while since I purchased my '01 XJ in 2006, finally decided to make an account. Lots of plans for the Jeep coming up and could use all the help I can get.

I'm currently running 2" coil spacers and shackles giving plenty of clearance for 235/75r15 tires. I'm on the market for new tires and like the skinny look. I came across the Yokohama Y742S (7.00r15) http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Y742S

I'm planning on purchasing new rims as well, the tire specs call for 5"-6.5" wide rim.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/crr-69561235

I've searched high and low with 0 success, would you run these on a 15x6" 3.50bs or 15x7" 4.50bs. I'm now running 15x8 3.25bs and they stick out too far in my opinion. I do air down for the beach, would the 7" wide rims run a high risk for blowing a bead? Also, to my knowledge the stock XJ rims are 15x7" 5.25 bs. Will the 6" rim look funny or pose any axle/hub issues with 3.5bs and 0 offset? Thanks a bunch in advance for any help!!

200$/ea for those? Um.. too much money to throw at soemthing like this. Would stick with some 235/75s or maybe find a skinnier 85 series tire?

Yup, just about $200 each. A decent set of 235/75 will run about $140-$170ea.. Financial advice aside, anybody have some technical input?

I'm not sure why you want a tire so narrow. A 235-75-15 is a great size for stock Jeeps, its actually pretty dang narrow and won't tend to hydroplane on water and is good in snow, but its wide enough that it allows for a good sand contact patch if you air down. I'm having a hard time understanding why you would spend $800 on narrower tires that require narrower rims that will decrease axle width. Maybe you can let us know why, what kind of driving?

I'm currently running 235/75r15 with 2" lift. I'd like to maintain the narrow width while adding some diameter. I suppose 30x9.50 would be the next best.. I live in New England and spend half the year driving on ice and snow (I do snow removal so I need to commute in some pretty hairy stuff). I've always been told narrow is better for winter and even in muddy conditions.

1510899_775372430896_108434387_n.jpg

Figured I'd show everyone what I'm working with..

How about some 235/85R16, Yoko Geolander AT-s, or other? You were planning on buying rims anyways.
Really one of the very few ways to get skinny/tall tires without going full retard.

I've considered a locker/limited slip set up. Not 100% on how the various different systems work or engage. I used to drive a Bronco (4" suspension, 2" body on 35") and had gone wheeling with someone who had a locker set up and said it was hell to drive with on the road and would lock on taking corners? Any truth to this? Again, I don't know much about the different types or even the type he had installed.

Well it all depends on type. The only lunchbox style (auto) locker I would run for lots of snowy roads is a Powertrax no-slip, there is no rough and sudden engagement with them. Yes, you have to learn how to drive with it, but no big deal. Don't punch the throttle in corners and you will be just fine. I live in MA and love my no-slip. I say either that or a limited slip, but limited slip you won't get 100% lockup. Selectable lockers (grizzly, ARB, Eaton) are nice but pricy. With a selectable turned on you will always have understeer, not a big deal, but not something you have with the no-slip, however the advantage to a selectable is that its extremely predictable because you turn it on or off.

Here I thought I was aware of all the tall skinny tires and now I see this.

I've been considering going with a 215/85r16(8.5x30.5) or a 235/85r16(9.5?x31.7). If you want a tall skinny and you're already set on getting new rims I'd go with one of these. Much much more choices in tires.

Both are very popular with expedition rigs. The skinny tires definitely have a following but the XJ guys don't seem to run them for some reason.

Last edited:
There was a guy on Expedition Portal who put those on his XJ in Alaska. He said he really liked how they performed. I think he might have studded them too.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1098242&highlight=y742s

The only post I was able to find on here regarding these tires is from the same guy I'm assuming. He put them on his stock XJ 15x7" wheels. They didn't look terribly narrow, just tucked it a bit due to the high backspace of the stock wheel.. I guess I'm more looking for info on which rim would be best for the tire application. My thoughts are the 15x6" 3.50bs will sit them just inside the fender flare if my 15x8 with 3.25 is about 1/2" outside?? My main concern is with such a narrow wheel split virtually 50/50 over the hub is there any potential for excess stress?

Back