• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tougher 15 inch tires.

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
Being a mail carrier in extremely rural areas I drive a lot of rock roads, but also encounter a lot of low traction conditions. I've been running accelera M/T-01s because they offer excellent traction for a low price. All of the sudden I've been getting a lot of rock punctures, I don't know if the county switched suppliers or got a new rock machine but I went from one flat every six months to one or more a week. Any suggestion on 235/75 r15's? These are 6 ply tires, most carriers run 10 ply but they also run newer jks and I can't find a 10 ply for 15s other than trailer tires. I'm not going to lift it or buy larger rims, I just need a more durable tire that still offers great traction.

I suspect that the MT/R Kevlars would be the most puncture-resistant, but I don't have a lot of experience on wet pavement with mine, so I'm reluctant to suggest them.

Maybe the Duratracs? When they first came out, they had a lot of sidewall problems, but that was almost 10 years ago and I've seen folks out on the trails more recently that were doing fine with them. Certainly they'd be great in the traction department (particularly since they're not only Mountain-snowflake rated, but studdable). I thought they had fantastic grip in dirt/rocks off-road, and I recall several folks remarking about how great they were in snow on the road.

Are these punctures coming through the tread, or on the shoulders/sidewall edges? The Duratracs do have significant shoulder lugs, so if you're seeing the issue right where the sidewall meets the edge, that might help.

It's always the center, the acceleras actually have really good sidewall protection. I had one rock come clear into the tire and another get stuck in the tread like a nail, never had that happen before.

Those tsl's are cool looking but load range b is a little scary. I haul trailers around sometimes and frequently have mail floor to ceiling, gets pretty heavy. 16s aren't really an option. I have a lot of 15 inch jeep wheels and 2 trailers that take the same wheel and tire so it's easy to swap across rigs

Those Acceleras look a bit like a knockoff of the original MT/R.

Just ordered a set of kumho venture mt51 mud terrains yesterday. They are 8 ply and look good. Hopefully they last longer, I did the math and I was only getting 18k miles out of the last 2 sets of acceleras.

Just ordered a set of kumho venture mt51 mud terrains yesterday. They are 8 ply and look good. Hopefully they last longer, I did the math and I was only getting 18k miles out of the last 2 sets of acceleras.

Perhaps you've discovered that budget tires can be a false economy - but 8-ply seems an excellent compromise & Kumho have a good reputation (as Cruiser54 attests), so good luck & keep us posted.

Back