• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

yeehaw...this might benefit my jeep..

Grifter144

NAXJA Forum User
today my brother decided it would benefit him to try and run a "yellow" (read red) light..naturally the chevy colorado turning left in front of him had a solid green light and went ahead with the turn...all in all my old 92 MJ bit it head on...

anyway got it home and started to look it over, turns out this old 4.0 5 spd. 2wd mj has a D44 rear with a trac loc and 4:10s(i have not confirmed this yet))..seeing as i have set of D30 4:10s from another axle that should fit my D30 rotation wise i might have just scored a "decent" axle /gearing upgrade to my heap...although i am not fond of the idea of swapping out my 29 spline locked 8:25 (3:55's) for a trac loc D44 seeing as the swap in itself would be more of a lateral swap...i am fond of the idea of 4:10's..since i have been in need of a gearing change for a pretty long time...really wanted 4:56's but free 4:10's would really help...

so gentleman your thoughts, is it worth it?

RLTW,
Grifter

Last edited:
need4speedjp said:
what size tires you running?

31's currently, long term i hope to go to 6 inches and 35's(but thats way long term) first i gotta fix the motor..i mean build and swap in a stroker...

Grifter

do you have a xj or an mj. mj's are spring under and the swap from mj to xj although very doable is a little more than bolt in. as for the gears you speak of do you have a spare 4.10 axle that you are going to replace your front with or just old 4.10 gears that you plan on putting in your axle. if you plan on putting in old 4.10 gears i would highly suggest re-thinking it used gears never set up right in another axle and setting up gears as you may or maynot know requires special tools and some good mechanical sense not a quick swap.
brandon

i have a xj, the D44 is out of an mj, i am aware of the need to change it from spring under to S.O...not to worried about that as i have access to a guy with a solid amount welding knowledge and helping hands, if i decide to go that route...

as for the gearing..yes i took the gears from a yj (HP?)d30 a while back...if they will fit the 99 HPd30 that i have up front now i might use them just to cover me till i can afford to go for a solid upgrade in the front axle dept...for now it would just be a cheap swap to keep the vehicle running (while in 4hi and low)...for what its worth the guy i spoke of earlier would probably be doing all the gearing...as i dont have nor can afford to put much into this as i do have a failing 4.0 on my hands...sadly i beat the piss out of this jeep and at 130000 plus she is really starting to play wierd games in the crap failing dept..

namely i am hesitant because i dont know much about the trac loc in the d44 performance wise and that worries me (i really like the way my powertrax works)... i know that the "whole" axle, new trac loc and all, was rebuilt oct of 05 by a R n P shop.. and yes i am searching for performance differences between the two.......

oh correction from earleir..6 inches and 33's not 35's..as of now...hheheheh

aprreciatte the info and suggestions..guess i just gotta make a choice..as i might have to "buy" this axle off the old mans co. to reimburse him for the rebuild..if thats the case it might go up for sale...

Back