• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xtreme Mud Terrain?

I appreciate everyone's input.................I'm gonna do a little more research on these before I buy them.............who know's I'll probably buy my fifth set of swampers?:doh:

I had the old PC MT's...there were fine...never had any complaints and the y were 31's.
I wouldn't have bought them in a larger size because the side wall would have be too thin.

The new XTRM MT's would be fine though with the changes they have made to them...I will be getting a set at truck fest...

I had a set of the older Coop MT's they were ok, but would pack up in really slimy mud....the new Xtreams LOOK better....a bit more void....but you will be damn hard pressed to find a better MUD tire than TSL's....

I love how every person is off topic, talking about Dick Cepeks, BFGs Goodyears and Pro Comps... but just NOT THE RIGHT Pro Comp. Nobody is even mentioning the tire the poor guy is asking about in the last few posts! And you wonder why people get pissy on here? It's frustrating when everybody wants to talk about "MY JEEP" "MY JEEP" "Thats what I have, thats what I have" "Wanna know what I have, wanna know what I have!"

Lets call it the Pro Comp Xtreme MT. (that's it's name).
Not the X Terrain, not the Xtreme Terrain, not the XTRMTR.

Now, for the rest of you who want to talk about YOUR tires, start your own thread.
This thread is about the Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrain.

Sorry bud, I've never used them... they look like they would do well in any condition....
... now for answers from those who HAVE used them.

Last edited:
Dude are you freaking blind?

Look up 3 post!

barillms said:
I love how every person is off topic, talking about Dick Cepeks and Goodyears and Pro Comps... but just NOT THE RIGHT Pro Comp. Nobody is even mentioning the tire the poor guy is asking about in the last few posts!

I read the same article in 4Wheel and Offroad that was mentioned earlier.

I believe there were about 6 tires listed in the review, Pro Comp Xtreme MT, M/T MTZ, Hercules ???, Dick Cepek ??? and some others that I can't remember.

The Pro Comp Xtreme MT did well overall, but the impression given was that it performs better in the rocks than in the mud. They were hinting that the name of the tire was misleading. All in all it didn't do awful in the mud, but it finished in the middle of the pack. Once again it excelled in the rocks.

The Mickey Thompson MTZ (made by Cooper Tires just like the Pro Comps and Dick Cepek's, in fact there's a good chance that the Xtreme's, DC's, MTZ and Cooper SST's all have the same carcass) performed better in the mud but slightly worse on the rocks. MTZ's cleaned out their treads a lot easier than the Pro Comp's did.

A sleeper tire was from Hercules. Can't remember the model name but the magazine was impressed with its overall performance. Biggest problem with them though was their 2-ply sidewall, which means a greater potential for trail carnage. I would assume the Hercules is the cheapest offered tire in the review.

IMO when it comes to sidewall strength it really comes down to luck. I have seen all of the mainstream mud tires be referred to as having tissue paper sidewalls over the years. I doubt it can be proven that one is significantly weaker than the other. I personally think it is often a matter of hitting the tire just right with an obstacle and whammo, you have a ruined tire. So I generally take references to weak sidewalls with a grain of salt.

i agree, my friend blew out the sidewall on his brand new 31" MTR

Yeah I really appreciate everyones input, and I wasn't sure how long these tires have been on the market. I guess my main concern was if anyone had any 1st person experience with these tires, and if so how did they perform? I've always had swampers and loved them from bias ply's to SSR radials. I'm currently running a RE 4.5" superflex with a Teraflex 1.5" greasable shackle in the rear. I have 31x10.50 SSR radials that have lasted three years. I'm really looking for a 32x11.50 or 33x12.50 that is suitable for the trails around here (Tellico, Uwharrie). I've never owned any MTR's or Mickey Thompsons etc. My Jeep pretty much sits in the garage for the week, and I drive it only 20-25 miles on the weekends. I guess tire wear doesn't concern me, just overall quality. Since Interco has been so good to me I'll probably stick with them........................Unless someone here can change my mind?

barillms said:
I love how every person is off topic, talking about Dick Cepeks, BFGs Goodyears and Pro Comps... but just NOT THE RIGHT Pro Comp. Nobody is even mentioning the tire the poor guy is asking about in the last few posts! And you wonder why people get pissy on here? It's frustrating when everybody wants to talk about "MY JEEP" "MY JEEP" "Thats what I have, thats what I have" "Wanna know what I have, wanna know what I have!"

Lets call it the Pro Comp Xtreme MT. (that's it's name).
Not the X Terrain, not the Xtreme Terrain, not the XTRMTR.

Now, for the rest of you who want to talk about YOUR tires, start your own thread.
This thread is about the Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrain.

Sorry bud, I've never used them... they look like they would do well in any condition....
... now for answers from those who HAVE used them.

kinda hard to get peoples thoughts as it just came out and no 1 has had em long enough to give their own opinions. People are finally commenting on MTZ, STT's etc. They finally have had long enough time out to get a full review from users. Only thing you can do with these is buy em or read articles and base your thoughts from pictures or goto a vendor and look at them.

My friend just got a set of these for his Toyota, they are ok in the mud, stayed kinda gummed up though. Good on the clay terraces (closest thing to rock crawling here), decent in the sand. GREAT on the street, quiet, they handle nicely, if it's a daily driver i'd like 'em. Nice tires overall. But, I don't think you could get the same offroad performance out of them you did from your ssr's.

Last edited:
From what i know, i work at a local garage that sells high end tires and the pro comp name mt,at,xt is what they mean the mt is made for mud and will wear shitty on the pavement but flex nice in the mud and clean out good, the ats are a nice snow tire that work very well once they heat up.

Back