• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XM vs Sirius

Which one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Love the Sirius, wheeled all weekend in the dense woods in BFE NC and always had a good signal and music to listen to.

Music channels make sense (What the hell is the "Fred" station supposed to be?), like 70's, 80's, etc.

My Directv switched the music channels to XM and we never listen to them anymore because we can't figure out which ones play what format and the playlists suck.

I had Sirius in a rental car on a trip in Colorado. The only time I lost a signal was going through a tunnel. I don't have much experence with XM, but I was really happy with the Sirius.

Get sirius... I personally have xm but thats because the owner of my car prepaid like 2 years on it so its free... I work at circuit city though and I listen to sirius all day long... it is much better and it has football... XM will have better reception since it does have 4 satelites but it is on clearchannel playlists and u will hear repeat songs allll the time being that clearchannel is the shortest playlist out there

I love sirius. I dont even have FM or AM presets anymore. i even wish i used my 6 disc cd player! I really like it and will pay for it as long as they keep the good music up.

my parents have xm in their cars, and dont like it at all. I dont either!

i've got XM and love it, have never lost signal, on the other hand, one of my co-workers has sirius and it looses signal all the time, cuts off in the middle of songs, their radios are junk, i'll just stick with XM, it's better all around in my book

Um, excuse me...you Sirius users....what is your method of choice for install??? I'd rather not do the add on...wires going everywhere option. I was hoping to swap out the head unit for a satellite ready unit. Unfortunately, we've got that Din and a half size opening....not much to pick from, and I'm not a fan of the Din with a bunch of black plastic around it look. Apparently we aren't a "double din" but just 1.5 Din?? I'd like the clean look of just a radio, and no wires. This is about all I've been able to find as a direct fit.... http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QUwCoS3iXRq/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=130DEHP47D. And I'd like Bluetooth too if possible...............
Any suggestions? and pics?????
Thanks, and Happy Holidays:wave1:

I have Sirius and like it a lot. I did the add on and the reciever is set on top of the dash with a little bracket that they gave. the wire to the antenna and to the cig lighter can all be pushed in to trim pieces with out removing them. It actually turned out not looking bad at all.

I prefer the plug and play units.
They have a much more informative display, and I get to use it in the house and at work.
Of course, I did have to buy a head unit with an aux in, FM modulation just sucks.

87manche said:
Of course, I did have to buy a head unit with an aux in, FM modulation just sucks.
That is part of what I was concerned about.

the hard wired fm modulation isn't horrible. This is likely what you'd use on a stock radio. The little box to do it is about 20 bucks. Turn on the PnP and it cuts the signal off from your radio and pumps it direct into the antenna jack. Like hooking up a VCR that displays on channel 3.
If your stock radio had the option for the cd changer then you could get an adapter to make that into an aux jack. I think blitz makes them.
Check out logjam electronics online.
Don't have the website handy, but they had adapters for most anything.

scoobyxj said:
Chuck you can get a single din install kit that has a little slot in the bottom. I had one in my old Chrysler van held a disk case nice.

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=99-6000

Okay, this just gave me an idea for something. How many CDs (in jewel cases) can you fit in there? I can't quite tell from the photo, but from the description it sounds like only one. What I'm thinking here is that depending on the size of that aperture, it might make a good spot to locate a couple of switches.

I've only used XM. I wasn't very impressed. Sirius seemed to have a better music station line-up that XM. If i were to purchase one (i backed out on it a few months ago), i'd get Sirius.

scoobyxj said:
Chuck you can get a single din install kit that has a little slot in the bottom. I had one in my old Chrysler van held a disk case nice.

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=99-6000
Thanks man! That is exactly what I was looking for. To me, that looks much better than the centered DIN with black plastic all around it.:wave:

Wow, this sucks. I've been thinking about getting XM for a while. Mainly cause My pioneer head unit says its XM ready and the fact that my ex girlfriend and her new ceo boyfriend work for Sirius. (Can't stand the thought of helping those two out) I abolutely HATE Howard Stern (he's washed up and doesn't have any new material, can we say "has-been"?) So naturally XM looks better to me from the outside. But the majority of you guys are loving Sirius. Am I going to either suffer lower quality stations or swallow my pride and get Sirius? Man, tough choices here. Would Sirius work with a radio that says XM ready? Hows that work?

Back