• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ sport cage

2offroad

NAXJA Forum User
Me and Andy at Carolina Rock Shop built a prototype bolt in sportcage this weekend, for a full interior XJ.
DSC00830.JPG

DSC00832.JPG

DSC00833.JPG

DSC00840.JPG

here is some more pixs.
http://www.carolinarockshop.com/art/shop/Project_pics/MarkXJCage/
contact Andy for more info on price.
http://www.carolinarockshop.com/

since it's a prototype, and it's bolt it...it can always be changed and probably will be. :)

There are a few things I look for in a roll cage, protection in a roll, either high speed or low speed, and body stiffening mainly. I don't know if this has either. The first thing you're going to hear about from everyone else is triangulation. There is none in here, and it will probabaly not hold up in anything more than a slow flop. If anything get's pretty aggressive, which it can no matter what level wheeler you are, I doubt it will hold up very well.

Next is that it's held together with bushings. Yes it will help stiffen it a bit, but I'm sure when you're all flexed up, you'll be able to see all the bushings pushing and pulling on each other. That's not much stiffeneing going on. I know it's more expensive, but those tubing bolt on things ( I think MORE) offers them, would be a much better choice if you want to keep it bolt it.

I'm sorry, but I just feel that this wouldn't do well for carolina rock shop to put in production. _nicko_

First, don't think I don't like it, it's schweeet. I was just wondering if the bolt-togetherness and urethane bushings prevent the cage from stiffining up the frame as well as welded.:confused:

First off,let's not jump the gun here on the "triangulation" thing. I do know a bit about structural rigidity,and I do know that triangulation would help out a bunch,but I also do know a guy that had a Smittybilt "Sport Cage" that saved his life in a hi-speed roll over(with no triangulation at all). He had a YJ Wrangler with the sport cage extention from the factory roll bar. A little Honda pulled out in front of him,he hit him at around 50 MPH and endo'd the Wrangler,landing on it's "roof". The police officer on the scene told him that the Wrangler's factory windsheild bars usually do more harm than good,and the addition of that sport cage probably saved his life,and he walked away bruised,but the only blood was from a small cut to his scalp. That cage in Mark's rig looks like it will do OK as it's just enhancing the structural rigidty of the unibody itself,although I would probably change the bushing mounts to a solid type. Now,if it were a full-on tube buggy,I'd think quite differently,but in an XJ it looks like it would work to me. I would like to see a triangle brace behind the rear seat,but that's for you guys to decide,not me. :)

Last edited:
before anybody gets to hyper, this "cage" is made for DD's, so it fits tight to the body and doesn't get in the way of daily use, the front bars are to stay at home most of the time. it is not for "stiffining up the frame", just alot better than the stock body in ANY rollover. Bolt in for daily drivers was #1, then rollover #2.

keep in mind sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.

so speak your mind, thats why i put in here and did not keep it to myself.

aaaaalllllll RIGHTY THEN! Ease up, they're just questions. I don't have a cage yet. I'm just inquiring, that's why I submitted here.

Georgia Mike said:
That cage in Mark's rig looks like it will do OK as it's just enhancing the structural rigidty of the unibody itself,although I would probably change the bushing mounts to a solid type.

Exactly, I also think it will do an OK job, much better if it was solidly bolted.

Bolt in for daily drivers was #1, then rollover #2.
haha, I kinda find this funny....so you wanted to design something that was bolt in. Then as a by product of it being bolt in, it would help in a rollover, but the main purpose was to just have something "bolt in". It's just weird to me that that's the #1.

I can deal with the DD thing, and it might not need to be made for crazyiness, but just remember, high speed daily driving roll overs kill more people than slow offroad roll overs.

And back to my comment about it probably not doing so well in production.....yeah...I just read JU, they practically want to rape it.... :D

my ? is it better than nothing. if so my #1 is valid.

Hey Mark. Looks good! Glad to see I could provide some ideas!

opinions

what do some of you experienced cage dudes think of the cage? i would rather have a fully welded cage, but i can't weld, so something like this might be a nice option if its worth it.

Pat

First off, Mark and I have been toying with this idea for a little while. It is NOT meant to be the end all be-all cage for an XJ. This is just to add some extra protection. I am looking into the clamps similar to what rock hard parts uses on their cages but this cage was a prototype to take a look at how we could make it fit and still be removable.

Again, this is NOT meant to be the strongest cage ever, it is just meant to provide some additional support in the event of an unfortunate accident in the medium level crowd.

Andy

Beezil said:
if rollover is not #1, there's no need to waste time on a cage.

rollover MUST be #1
i agree to a point that is just beyond my grasp. but no cage or bolt in cage which is better. you can't hardly weld a full cage in a XJ with a full interior, so bolt in is better, as for "seeing some close-ups of the joinery" you can't now because it is only tacked at this point. this week Andy will finish the welds and more pixs.

better than nothing

Almost ANY cage is going to be better than no cage in the event of any kind of rollover (offroad or on). The fact is that most XJs nowadays do not have any cage for the very simple reason that the "full race" variety are too intrusive for use in a Jeep that hauls your grandmother almost as often as it goes hard-core off-roading (which means, MOST XJs!).

For those who don't care about ease of entry and egress, and who use their XJs offroad more than on, this cage would not be the best choice. For the overwhelming majority of XJ owners, however, this looks to me to be a nearly perfect solution.

So far, what I"m hearing is that the sales pitch is "Buy our sport cage. It's better than nothing" and "If you want roll-over protection, buy a Smitybilt SportCage"

Not every cage is going to be fully or even partially traingulated if ease of entry is a primary concern. A cage that doesn't have the benefit of triangulation has to depend on corner strength for it's rigidity. Using an articulating joint at the corners pretty much throws that concept out the window.

CRSU and 2offroad,

Do not take any of this as slamming or bagging on your cage progress. It is strictly constructivity meant to help you turn out a good product. You want it to be a good alternative to a stock XJ in a slow roll situation. If someone gets in an accident on a slippery hiway at speed, or goes down an embankment (lots of those in NC) and gets severely injured with your cage in thier vehicle, noone will question the integrity (or lack there of) of the XJ. All fingers will be pointing at the cage design and designers. If you are going to build a cage to sell, you must take everything into account.

Looks good, keep working,
Crunch

Back