• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ sport cage

don't know if you ever saw this, but take a look at how goatman made a little tie-in bracket that borrows the upper front seatbelt bolt.

I really dig this idea....it ties in your cage with the b-pillar.

I think could be an important feature for a bolt-in cage.

check it out!

maybe goatman will post some pics of it?

Richard, IIRC, ,your rear pillar is from a Commanche and that also has the belt bolt attachment and you tied into that also.

Could this be done to the factory rear pillar on an XJ by adding some plate (to strengthen and spread the load) w. a bolt mounted to it and attach that to the cage's rear hoop? Or this this area not strong enough? What do you think? TIA

would love to see the pics of goatmans tie in points:D

And if I'm going to spend my money on a cage it better damn well save my life in the event I need it. Not for just show or ease of install and comfort. I would rather deal with the roll cage in the way and save my life or passengers than to have something break and that being the cause of someone getting hurt. Just my .05 Jeff CamoXJ

I am wondering why not change the front cage to something like that image below. That will help us to get into jeep without hit the tube. Will it weaken the strength of the cage?
cage.jpg

as far as the extra bends in the bottom,,,,it will make it easier to get in but I think it would make a pretty big difference in strength, especially if it came down to a hard endo with lots of force on the A pillar.
-calvin

Why not do something up front like the TJ sport cage add ons?
Lots of extra "climb in" room. I know this may not be the strongest idea but I've seen several flipped Wranglers due quite well with this style of "sport cage".

TJSportCageA.jpg
tj_sport_bar.jpg

JEEPZZ said:
Why not do something up front like the TJ sport cage add ons?
Lots of extra "climb in" room. I know this may not be the strongest idea but I've seen several flipped Wranglers due quite well with this style of "sport cage".

the angle of the windshield keeps that from working on a XJ a TJ windshield is almost vertical. but an idea.

Andy I give you props for getting into cage building for XJ's

But I just can not see how a cage with bushings in it will really help if he does roll over.

If you sit back and really look at it, think about this.
If he does roll, there is a great chance that all the bushing end is gonna do is that the bushing will twist and really not give any true protection.

Now if you made it a bolt together cage with out bushings I think it would hold up pretty well, I just do not see how a cage with bushings will fair.( that is of course unless it is for show, j/k) :D

Great Idea

I think this sport cage is a great idea.

If you can make it either:

a.) less intrusive in the front of the vehicle - I like the TJ style idea if it can be done - or go through the dash with a rubber grommet to clean up the hole that will need to be drilled.

AND / OR

b.) sell it as just a rear bench cage to protect kidlets

then I will probably buy one eventually (i.e. when other projects are done).

Great work!

r@m

Back