• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ seems ok, but weird OBD-II issues

CDX74

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Scanguage II in my jeep, which will occasionally lose power and cut out. It works fine in other my other cars. Anybody else have connection issues with a scanguage that is permanently mounted? I also have a BLE+ OBD-II reader, which I connect to OBD Fusion on my iphone, but that can't read a VIN number from the computer, although it does read other engine data, so I'm wondering if my PCM has issues.

Years ago, I had a shop repair my AC, and ended up frying my gauge cluster, which they replaced. I'm wondering if they also damaged the PCM/ECU/computer too.

I have been having problems where car inspection places can't read from my OBD-II port reliably either, which is annoying. I have worked around this by finding sketchy inspection places.

My XJ runs fine, although i'm only getting about 160mi out of a tank these days, so maybe I should just continue to live with the problem?

You've got a huge problem if your only getting 160 miles out of a tank!

That would depend on what tire size and axle gears it's got, wouldn't it?

456 gears, with 33"s, and it's mostly city driving in heavy traffic these days, so about as bad for MPG as possible. :-/

I did get a "no bus" message over the weekend right after starting the jeep, but it did start and seemed to run okay. Stopping and starting again cleared that, so i'm guessing that's a connection issue, maybe with the cluster.

I have a Scanguage II in my jeep, which will occasionally lose power and cut out. It works fine in other my other cars. Anybody else have connection issues with a scanguage that is permanently mounted? I also have a BLE+ OBD-II reader, which I connect to OBD Fusion on my iphone, but that can't read a VIN number from the computer, although it does read other engine data, so I'm wondering if my PCM has issues.

Years ago, I had a shop repair my AC, and ended up frying my gauge cluster, which they replaced. I'm wondering if they also damaged the PCM/ECU/computer too.

I have been having problems where car inspection places can't read from my OBD-II port reliably either, which is annoying. I have worked around this by finding sketchy inspection places.

My XJ runs fine, although i'm only getting about 160mi out of a tank these days, so maybe I should just continue to live with the problem?

I've found that my OBD-II reader gets disconnected after an hour of runtime on my XJ. I think the ECU is ending the session.

You've got a huge problem if your only getting 160 miles out of a tank!

That's also about what I get for during short around-town drives in my hilly neighborhood.

Back