• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Replacement

The Liberty is rated at the same 17 mpg average as the XJ. The edge is rated at 18. The new car must get two mpg better than the clunker (19 in this case) for $3500, or 5 mpg better for $4500.

fueleconomy.gov

The Liberty is rated at the same 17 mpg average as the XJ. The edge is rated at 18. The new car must get two mpg better than the clunker (19 in this case) for $3500, or 5 mpg better for $4500.

fueleconomy.gov

The xj w auto is rated at 15mpg for this program.

Yep!! Been there done that...

Gotta play the game!!

Nick

If you make good money there is nothing wrong with having nice things. If a person is working for $10 an hour he has to be a lot more frugal. I've been both places several times and both are fine.

x2. Some people get so cranked up on things they can't change.
I might not be able to change the program but I can avoid adding to the problem. The more people take advantage of this, the more tax money the gov't spends on it that could be much better spent else-where. The more successful the gov't decides it is the more likely they are to extend it and cost more tax dollars. The more successful it is, the more programs like it the gov't comes out with. Yeah, sure it sounds great, "free" money to help me buy a car! Yippee! Let's do it! Except that taking advantage of this "opportunity" does nothing but encourage the gov't to keep taking my money and giving it to you to spend on things you probably don't need anyways.

How's the old saying go? Something like: liberty exists until the gov't discovers it can stay in power by robbing Peter to pay Paul?

If you make good money there is nothing wrong with having nice things. If a person is working for $10 an hour he has to be a lot more frugal. I've been both places several times and both are fine.
If you make good money there is nothing wrong with saving your money to pay for it yourself. I'm not advocating buying your cars straight cash (although I would love to be able to do that) but come up with your own down payment, don't take it from everyone else's pockets.

I don't agree with farm subsidies...but I still buy food...do you?

The XJ is still wheeling in N Colo. A beater Volvo that has already been totaled twice by previous owners' insurance lived for 2 more years and is now going to the parts bin.

Avoid future problems the next time you vote, what is done is done.

" Spent elsewhere" ....as in a program I approve of...NASA, global warming BS research, midnight basketball, guns for sporting tickets, everyone has an interest.

Last edited:
Or how about just paying down our already massive deficit rather than adding to it further? Farm subsidies is a weak argument. Yes there likely is a better way of growing food in America, but do either of us have the option of growing our own food so as to avoid buying subsidized food? No, not really. Do we have the option of buying a used car or a less expensive new car instead of going for the nicer one with the clunker rebate? Yes, yes we do.

I might not be able to change the program but I can avoid adding to the problem. The more people take advantage of this, the more tax money the gov't spends on it that could be much better spent else-where. The more successful the gov't decides it is the more likely they are to extend it and cost more tax dollars. The more successful it is, the more programs like it the gov't comes out with. Yeah, sure it sounds great, "free" money to help me buy a car! Yippee! Let's do it! Except that taking advantage of this "opportunity" does nothing but encourage the gov't to keep taking my money and giving it to you to spend on things you probably don't need anyways.

And you say farm subsidies are a weak argument...

Since when has our government followed sound business ideologies when dealing with tax dollars? You act like the $4500 being paid for a clunker isn't worth saving someone's job in the auto industry. I would think a jobless autoworker on unemployment would be getting much more than 4500 of our tax dollars.

Government spending will always be a necessary evil. You might as well take advantage of a program you're paying for.

Then you go do your speaking with your vote.

I don't agree with the CARS program and really I think it's a waste of our money, but I swallowed my pride and cashed my XJ in for 4500 bucks this morning. Didn't even buy an American car, bought a Honda that was assembled in Ontario(with 60% US parts) I was going to buy a new commuter car for the wife anyway and this deal falls in my lap, I'd be stupid to turn it down.

It was my turn to get some of that "free" money that everyone else seems to be getting lately.

20061114_sheep.jpg

I don't agree with farm subsidies...but I still buy food...do you?

The XJ is still wheeling in N Colo. A beater Volvo that has already been totaled twice by previous owners' insurance lived for 2 more years and is now going to the parts bin.

Avoid future problems the next time you vote, what is done is done.

" Spent elsewhere" ....as in a program I approve of...NASA, global warming BS research, midnight basketball, guns for sporting tickets, everyone has an interest.

Bingo!

Well, at least when all these people trade in their Jeeps for econoboxes they will have no reason to be on here anymore. They can move to NAEBA. I will stick with my old Jeep that can take me anywhere I want to go in any weather and won't crumble in a 5mph fender bender.

Well, at least when all these people trade in their Jeeps for econoboxes they will have no reason to be on here anymore. They can move to NAEBA. I will stick with my old Jeep that can take me anywhere I want to go in any weather and won't crumble in a 5mph fender bender.

And Fix!!!

After working on my wifes Toytoa Camry I will stick to old tech any day.

IT'S back with 2 billion more.

Actually you probably have a better likelyhood of raising your own food than I do of building my own car.
Most mulicipalities allow urban dwellers a couple chickens (no roosters), a garden and a bee hive. If you live out of town, you could have goats and a cow also...try it..it might mellow you out a little.

Back