• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Rag Doors

Incredible Hulk said:
The windows are made of plastic, much like in a soft door. They simply snap in and out, so I take them off when it's hot. Takes about 12 seconds. It's a great option since I prefer the open air feel for wheeling, but can still close it up for winter wheelin here so my wife will still come along, and I dont get soaked when it rains.
If someone wanted to pay for the doors I would gladly finish them up to sell. As of right now I have enough personal projects keeping me busy so they are on the back burner...
Could you post up more pictures of your doors? I wanted to build some half doors, and seeing more of your door fabin would help a bunch. Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

Yoy could also have tube doors bent to the whole outside rim of your door frame adn cover that with canvas, or cover half of it with sheet metal and the top half snap on canvas.

he already has. look through the other pages of the thread.. sick idea eh??

pottenger said:
Could you post up more pictures of your doors? I wanted to build some half doors, and seeing more of your door fabin would help a bunch. Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

come to find tube doors are more trouble than they are worth.. good idea for a good dry trailin rig or a rock crawler, but i think i'ma go with hulk's idea

woodbutcher said:
Yoy could also have tube doors bent to the whole outside rim of your door frame adn cover that with canvas, or cover half of it with sheet metal and the top half snap on canvas.

um you must not know much about metal work....it needs to be welded

i dont see how soldering would cut down on cost (unless you are factoring buying a welder)...?

but those doors that HULK showed are nice i am definitely brewing ideas in my head now...

-Tim

i'm a sheltered mechanic who is father now out of the military is too lazy to teach his son even the basics of mechanics... in other words you're right i dont know much, but i know enough to at least make shift it..

red_01_xj said:
um you must not know much about metal work....it needs to be welded

I know huh??? its beautiful work and yes i am talking buying/ renting a welder... cant afford it... unfortunaly... so i figure soldering would hold it there... for a while til i can have my step dad help me with it once i get back to texas...

jeepnuts311 said:
i dont see how soldering would cut down on cost (unless you are factoring buying a welder)...?

but those doors that HULK showed are nice i am definitely brewing ideas in my head now...

-Tim

my contribution...

ugly but it works. Plus I was able to keep the stock mirrors on so I wouldn't get hassled as much without them..

1zdqkr4.jpg

1zdr978.jpg

Newbie94XJ said:
I know huh??? its beautiful work and yes i am talking buying/ renting a welder... cant afford it... unfortunaly... so i figure soldering would hold it there... for a while til i can have my step dad help me with it once i get back to texas...

You can get a welder capable of doing work on doors for next to nothing. This little one I picked up just cause it was light and easily portable, plus dual 110/220 was about perfect for doing doors and I picked it up, sticks, gloves and helmet included, for $65 from a pawn shop...

zx2u6d.jpg

I had a local boat upholstery shop do the covers. Way too complicated for me. I just did hte fab work. Here's some more pics...
052cddc8.jpg

5f99f0b3.jpg

5086ffcf.jpg

Lots of tacks
e0f043cd.jpg

faeba243.jpg

Where to start...
15288235.jpg

I hope that helps. It was a great winter project last year, and I am currently doing the rear doors as well and changing the latch mechanism. I will try and answer questions wherever I can.
j

Incredible Hulk said:
I had a local boat upholstery shop do the covers. Way too complicated for me. I just did hte fab work. Here's some more pics...
052cddc8.jpg

5f99f0b3.jpg

5086ffcf.jpg

Lots of tacks
e0f043cd.jpg

faeba243.jpg

Where to start...
15288235.jpg

I hope that helps. It was a great winter project last year, and I am currently doing the rear doors as well and changing the latch mechanism. I will try and answer questions wherever I can.
j

how much would you sell those doors for??

Newbie94XJ said:
still wantin those rag doors XD lol but oh well... i am starting to look into the tube door idea though... any aftermarket?? or do i gotta make em myself??

yeah there is aftermarket ones, i think carolina rock shop and one or two other shops make 'em. A search should turn them up.

Back