• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj plus snow= no go?

Just got back from a little drive....in the snow and ice. (after putting on 4 tire chains)

And tire chains are the absolute best in the snow/ice. They make the xj act like its on wet pavement when its on solid ice.

I can even drive up steep hills of solid ice without slipping.

The XJ is great in the whitestuff. In winter unless you're on pavement just leave it in 4hi. In the deep stuff 4lo. The tires will make a big difference. Look at Cooper Discoverer S/T. AS for weight, carry your winter survival gear, if you don't already have; skid the girl for extra weight and keep a full tank o' gas.

Here is what mine can do:

DSC03881.jpg

DSC03878.jpg

That is with 6"s of lift, almost wore out 33" BFG MT's, and OPEN diffs.

BFG AT's work the best for me on the jeeps and Winterforce tires on the full size van and the Tracer. Two of the best tires I have ever used in the snow. Good tires make driving that much easier and more safe.

Kim

1996cc said:
Here is what mine can do:
That is with 6"s of lift, almost wore out 33" BFG MT's, and OPEN diffs.

If you have enough tread left on those MT's to do it, get them siped and you have even more fun. Siping made a big difference for me on my mud tires.

Chris W, formerly from WA, AZ doesn't have much deep snow to go play in :(

it has always seemed to me that the condition of the snow has made a big difference... wetter snow always provided more traction and ability for the "go" and the fluffy white stuff was always a little worse to get going in... BFG's do real good in the snow if your looking for a good snow tire.
just my .02

I have always had luck with bridgestone dueler tires.
The f150 I drove last year had a set of duelers ht's on em and I rarely needed to use 4hi. Combined with the weight of the truck (89 with an auto trans, 5.0, super cab and 8 foot bed filled with snow and car parts) they were great, it was the crappy brakes that made things a little hairy at times.

MY fathers 01 xj has dueler apt3's on em and they were unstoppable in the snow. He only had problems on deep snow as the xj is stock height and it would build up snow under the car.

My 92 has revo's but no use in snow yet so I can't pass judgement on them yet. They have been great out in the trails though.

I would think tires.....but...I put the Wranglers from my '90 XJ (4.0 AW4 242TC) which is a bull in the snow, almost impossible to get stuck, on my '91 XJ 4.0 AW4 231TC and it totally sucks in the snow. We had about 3-4" today, I went out to move it so we could plow, first time I ever used it in snow...I'm changing the name on it to Hoover...it sucked that bad....lol

MY BFG M/T's made a huge difference in the snow.

I had some bald bfg AT front and almost bald open country AT schwab tires on rear, and as soon as I touched snow I had to be in 4wd to keep from being sideways the entire time.

With the MT's 2wd cruises around no problem

dizzymac said:
I would think tires.....but...I put the Wranglers from my '90 XJ (4.0 AW4 242TC) which is a bull in the snow, almost impossible to get stuck, on my '91 XJ 4.0 AW4 231TC and it totally sucks in the snow. We had about 3-4" today, I went out to move it so we could plow, first time I ever used it in snow...I'm changing the name on it to Hoover...it sucked that bad....lol

So do you attribute this to the few extra inches of wheelbase or the weight difference/distribution?

i've been running cooper LT's... amazing in the wet stuff. i drive to mt. hood at least once a week. plenty of snow and packed ice on the roads around there. the cooper's are the best studless "m+s" tires i've used so far, my old bfg mt's were great in deep snow, if you go mud tire get them siped. the LT's have tons of siping which keeps her on her feet. les schwab has something similar. only issue is with the sidewalls, a little weaker than i'd like to see.

i tried to get her sideways the last time i was up there, these tires track great on both packed and fresh snow, ice, slush, from 32 d, all the way down to 20 d so far they don't lock up easily, don't like to spin out either, i run em about 27 psi up front 25 psi in the rear for the deep stuff/ice.

btw, this is with open diffs and a 5 spd.

cooperLT1.jpg

Get yourself a set of Kumho RoadVenture AT 825's in the 235/75-15 flavor and you will be cutting through the snow with ease. I ran these on my 92 XJ Laredo until I lifted it and went to 31's.

TireRack doesn't carry them in that size, I bought them locally through a repair shop that carries Kumho tires.

as mentioned by a couple of others: bfg ATKOs

absolutely amazing compared to a regular suv tire (such as wrangler APs or BFG trails)...i can usually drive until my bumper is pushing the snow before things get serious. sort of like those sweet pics posted a bit back...but on a smaller scale. virgin snowy roads are so much fun!

"Chris W, formerly from WA, AZ doesn't have much deep snow to go play in :("
No snow?
Leave Mesa and go north to play with that new XJ.
Thanks for the center cap screws/retainers for mine.

I cant wait to try out my new XJ in the snow! To bad its January and it 60 deg. here in New Jersey. My YJ was decent, but with a short wheelbase and lockers it made it a bit difficult to keep in line in the lighter stuff. Hopefully winter will be here soon!

last years snow here in Delaware was easy for my stock XJ to handle with the Dueler AT Revos, so if you've got AT tires, you should be fine. the deepest I hit was only 18", though... so nothing too tricky. I did have to pull a pickup up a hill, though. hehe

If your stock I would suggest BFG A/Ts 30x9.50x15. They have surved my friends and i good in Northern Minnesota. IMO probably the best true AT tire there is. You can usually pick'em up for around a 100 each sometimes s bit cheaper.

Bfg a/ts suck in the snow,slightly better than drag radials. We have the white stuff on the ground for four months.

If you are trying to decide between a couple of tires, and you are in the snow a lot..............get the ones with the most siping in the tread and you will be happy! Avoid solid lugs with now siping!!

Flash.

Back