• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ flare comparison

That is good to know. I really like my rears, so I will be buying the fronts. I put lock washers on mine after the trial fitting because I had a nut bottom on the bolt. He supplies all stainless hardware with the flares.

I run the Napier flares, wouldn't change a thing.

IMAG0930_zps186062ef.jpg

IMAG0877.jpg

I really like these! Got any pics of what/how the cutting went down?

I'm not fond of the pocket flare look, preferring something that provides a cleaner line, while offering tire coverage. The BW Flatties have worked well for me. I like them painted to match, I've had several non-XJers comment about how they like my factory flare option better........:shhh: For reference, I'm running 6" of lift and 285/75/16 tires.

IMG_7023-1.jpg

IMG_8776_zpse0f44ddb.jpg

IMG_8522_zpsd636ba18.jpg

I too don't view my rig as disposable and was concerned about introducing a potential for rust by notching the wheelwells, per BW instructions. For this reason, I added an extra couple of steps, taking the time to weld the notches back together and then primed/painted the area to minimize rust.
http://www.bushwacker.com/Instructions/10922_r0.pdf

The rear flares have held up to a rock-kiss or two, but if true durability and protection is your priority, fabbing a set of tube flares that are similar to the BW flatties and incorporating them into reinforced quarter/fender armor (JCR?) will give you the best of both worlds.

I freakin' love your rig- I'd like to see a pic of your finished rear cut/fold/weld job. I'm still not too fond of the BW flat flares, but they look good with the matching paint!

The hooligan rears on their website don't look anything like the ones pictured here- am I missing something?

? they look the same to me.

That is exactly what I want to do on my 2 door. Finally saw it. Thanks.
Did you have to cut much or is it just re-drill the holes?

you have to cut and fold the rear to match the front stock opening (which is larger) just mock the front flares up to the back cut them to match the body lines and then mark and bolt them on. it took my no more than 2 hours to do both sides and no-one has ever thought it wasnt stock.

my buddy was going to toss his flares and i literally pulled them out of his trash can. so Free front flares reversed and notched and they were good to go

"Jeeptubes.com sells Thor fender skins and tube flares. You can even get them complete. Here's a pic from the site of the front flare. This is what I plan to do."

How much additional tire clearance do you get (over stock) with the Jeep Tubes? Will they allow a lot bigger tire? Assuming of course that there is some trimming to do on install.
I'm looking at options as well and have thought Napiers (31x10.5 will be 33x10.5 next)
but the tubes have to be more durable. And do they extend out enough to provide mud protection?

Thanks.

I'm in the market for some fender flares since I'm tired of being sky high to keep the 33s out of the fenders. Call me a pretty boy, but looks matter to me- I wheel my Jeep as much as possible, but unlike many Jeepers I find it's best to steer away from the trees and rock faces rather than slam into them. My previous XJ had its share of bruises, but I want to keep this one straight and looking good for as long as possible.

I've looked into a few options and just wanted to get some more opinions and get some feedback on the ones I'm considering-

Notch Customs (formerly made by Iceland Offroad)
Napier Precision
Rusty's flares All 4 or maybe just on the front only (rear clearance isn't that big of an issue on my XJ) Also, opinions on their rigid vs. flexible flares

I've mostly ruled out Bushwackers based on prices and bad reviews.

Aso, on the issue of rear cutting- the gash n' fold method just seems wrong... can anyone give insight into a cleaner solution? I've had (most of) this XJ for about 12 years now, and have no intentions of ever selling it, so whatever I do to it has to be done for the long haul!

Thanks in advance!

I would avoid notch customs. They currently have a court order to cease production about something to do with Iceland offroad is working with another company to produce again to get parts out in a timely matter. A few local guys on Jeepforum are currently in contact with Emil from Iceland offroad that is here I heard about the cease production.

Hey Tom95YJ. Do you have anymore info on whos talking to Emil. I paid him 500 bucks and he just took my money and ran away. I would really like to get intouch with someone who can actually talk to this guy!

I would avoid notch customs. They currently have a court order to cease production about something to do with Iceland offroad is working with another company to produce again to get parts out in a timely matter. A few local guys on Jeepforum are currently in contact with Emil from Iceland offroad that is here I heard about the cease production.

If you didn't hear already, Notch created a vendor account on JeepForum.com, so they could clarify officialy (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/new-iceland-flares-1475500/index5.html)

Short story: no, there's no court order or law suit at all. They legally acquired the molds, and are in production. They've already sold quite a few, and keep them in stock. As far as everyone can tell, they really DO ship within a business day.

A couple customers talking about them:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/icelandic-flares-snorkle-check-1479947/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/iceland-fender-flares-stock-1475359/index2.html

And they're going to start selling the bumpers "soon," too!

rear TJ flares, front and rear
Maybe too late for the OP, but x2 on the rear TJ flares. Cheap, look great (IMHO) and hold up to a beating. Trust me, they've been bashed & squeezed between trees and I had to only repair the cracked paint. Had them on there since 2007.

pajeep2.jpg

img20130220154431968.jpg

Napier, only flare iver seen online and in person I have liked. In a perfect world I would do the Thor with tubes but these were a great deal from doug!

No regrets! I just cant wait to get my rear bumper with lower quarter guards now. Also I need 35s and my AJ's offroad bumper!

I was super ocd and fitted them with my own hardware from fastenel and no edge trim and just spent a lot of time shaping the plastic so it was perfect. It lines up great with out any adjustments.

img20130220180336327.jpg

img201302202120559421.jpg

Youll see better pics when I get my bumper mounted!

I'm in the market for some fender flares since I'm tired of being sky high to keep the 33s out of the fenders. Call me a pretty boy, but looks matter to me- I wheel my Jeep as much as possible, but unlike many Jeepers I find it's best to steer away from the trees and rock faces rather than slam into them. My previous XJ had its share of bruises, but I want to keep this one straight and looking good for as long as possible.

I've looked into a few options and just wanted to get some more opinions and get some feedback on the ones I'm considering-

Notch Customs (formerly made by Iceland Offroad)
Napier Precision
Rusty's flares All 4 or maybe just on the front only (rear clearance isn't that big of an issue on my XJ) Also, opinions on their rigid vs. flexible flares

I've mostly ruled out Bushwackers based on prices and bad reviews.

Aso, on the issue of rear cutting- the gash n' fold method just seems wrong... can anyone give insight into a cleaner solution? I've had (most of) this XJ for about 12 years now, and have no intentions of ever selling it, so whatever I do to it has to be done for the long haul!

Thanks in advance!

I'm still trying to locate a good fender and am probably just going to build a set of tube fenders....either way to answer your question about the cut and fold yes their are other ways...some just cut it completely and say screw it, others mig it together and use seam sealer then paint it.....me I did it an uncommon way because my shops got a badass tool most people don't have in their garage its a factory pinch welder (i know im special :shhh:), basically i cut up the fender to where I wanted and the pneumatic press welder (pinch welder) did the rest by sandwiching the two pieces together then welding them. To fill in the seam i used 3M's panel bond. After that I used dur-glass filler and sanded it to give it an edge. Then masked it off and put a nice good ole coat of bed liner on it. I can get pictures if ya want....

but the best bet so if you want to stay away from the cut-o-fold, get mig welder no real need to go my route just weld it on up..remember it is thin steel 20g i believe maybe so tacks you wont be able to run a solid bead. Good luck and take your time. believe me it shows:gee:

Last edited:
I ordered a set of notch flares. Shipped next day and recieved in 4 business days. They look bad ass. Ill be making a thread about it prob on friday.

Do any flares look right with stock rims? Most of the time it looks like you need wheels with less backspacing to make the aftermarket flares not look like your XJ is wearing shoulder pads.

Back