• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTF 2 gallons of water hidden in a body panel behind the cubby hole! Check yours!

on my jeep i found a whiskey flask, random assortment of 12 gauge shells and 3 beers hidden in the rear pass plastic pocket - i am guessing whiskey flask and shells for the dad - shooting sports, duck- and the hidden beers the kids! silly teens...

luckily my 99 has not developed any bad rust so far in those areas...

Hmmm how do you access it? Do you get to it from the inside or the outside?

Hi,
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned it but it might be a good idea to put some oil into this cavity or even better a wax spray. Depends how long you want your XJ to last I suppose, I've done mine, I need at least another 10 years on my 93.

The panel is accessed from the inside of the trunk. 1 screw hold it to the very last body pillar. Its a phillips head. Its the plastic panel that the rear seat belt passes through.

Mine has little drain holes in it that are facing the rear (if that makes any sense). It's a good thing because I'm getting water in from the top somehwere.

Plays For Jeeps said:
Was installing a swing away on my XJ a few days ago and unsurprisingly The floor of my trunk is gone. I kinda expected that.

But what did catch me off gaurd was the gallon of water wrist deep which had collected there.

It seems as though in that 1 foot of rocker panel behind the rear tires is shaped like a V-Shaped bowl. Water was being kicked up by the rear tires, soaking my rear carpet, and then the water was collecting in this bowl.

I drilled a hole in each body pocket and the water drained right out.

Just thought I would give you guys teh heads up!

See picture for where the water was collecting INSIDE the body panel. To check, pull off the plastic trim pieces (one screw each) the big ones with the cubby hole in them. Then just look down. You may see slushing water.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/

How was it that you never heard the water sloshing around as you drove?

:doh: That much water has got to make some noise as you drive.

Just a guess but, since no one but, the US Forest Service special orders that Dupount color (don't even ask me how I know). They knew it would end up in the hands of a land rapist and they planted that water there just for you:laugh: BTW, that is the only example that I have seen that makes that green look decent. Nice XJ! Police package?

77296cf029.jpg

F9K9 said:
Just a guess but, since no one but, the US Forest Service special orders that Dupount color (don't even ask me how I know). They knew it would end up in the hands of a land rapist and they planted that water there just for you:laugh: BTW, that is the only example that I have seen that makes that green look decent. Nice XJ! Police package?

77296cf029.jpg

Army used that color too for the MP's before they got hummers. We used to have to literally drag them out with either a M113 or M2 when they tried to get sneaky and use their radar guns on the tank trails trying to catch us doing over 15mph. They would always sit at the bottom of a hill and had no problem getting down there but back up was another story LOL. GoodYear GSA's in P215's don't do that well in Jersey sand or NY Mud for that matter, they seemed to do OK out at Irwin though.

F9K9 said:

77296cf029.jpg

That's not his jeep. Look at the license plate, pretty sure it says Utah. I think the OP just posted this as an example to show the area that he had water collecting.

I just noticed this weekend that I have water leaking in the rear somewhere on the passenger side. I hadnt even thought to look there though to see if its collecting. I will be sure to now though.

^Thats exactly what I thought all summer. It would be a dry summer day and I would notice water dripping from the rear quarters. I would assume it was just water that was in the rain gutters which ran out because of the angle I parked on. Now I know what was really going on.

Sorry, I should have stated, thats not my Jeep. It was just the first XJ ass shot which popped up after a google Image search.

I was pretty shocked I didnt hear the water either. But between the 33's, cherry bomb exhaust, carpet, and sound deadening material I guess it kinda makes sense that I wouldnt hear water sloshing lol.

mtnxj said:
That's not his jeep. Look at the license plate, pretty sure it says Utah. I think the OP just posted this as an example to show the area that he had water collecting.
Still the best looking XJ with that color. Imagine that on a Crown Vic:scared:

Back