• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTF 2 gallons of water hidden in a body panel behind the cubby hole! Check yours!

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Was installing a swing away on my XJ a few days ago and unsurprisingly The floor of my trunk is gone. I kinda expected that.

But what did catch me off gaurd was the gallon of water wrist deep which had collected there.

It seems as though in that 1 foot of rocker panel behind the rear tires is shaped like a V-Shaped bowl. Water was being kicked up by the rear tires, soaking my rear carpet, and then the water was collecting in this bowl.

I drilled a hole in each body pocket and the water drained right out.

Just thought I would give you guys teh heads up!

See picture for where the water was collecting INSIDE the body panel. To check, pull off the plastic trim pieces (one screw each) the big ones with the cubby hole in them. Then just look down. You may see slushing water.

Last edited:
Mine had a lil baggy back there...

I cut and folded and then filled with expanding foam........... no more water!

Using expanding foam may have created a bigger problem for you. That foam acts like a sponge and actually traps and holds water in its open cell configuration. Its best use is for keeping air infiltration to a minimum but not where it can come in contact with water. Even when used in home building, there will be a barrier of some kind between the foam and any water contact. Just a word to the wise...your xj will rust a ton quicker wherever you put that foam.

Hudson Bend said:
Using expanding foam may have created a bigger problem for you. That foam acts like a sponge and actually traps and holds water in its open cell configuration. Its best use is for keeping air infiltration to a minimum but not where it can come in contact with water. Even when used in home building, there will be a barrier of some kind between the foam and any water contact. Just a word to the wise...your xj will rust a ton quicker wherever you put that foam.
The foam thing has been covered a bunch. As long as closed-cell foam is used, the worst damage it will do is create pockets that will trap water.

I found a very fine silt, like baby powder. Makes me wonder if this thing was flooded before I bought it? Anybody have unlimited CARFAX?

Will have to check mine. Too bad Jeep made the XJs tight enoung to keep water in......wished they had made the XJs tight enough to keep water out....ie the floor boards/cowl/windshields.

you $#$#ers, it's snowing out there right now but I guess I better get some clothes on and go look, why can't this crap come up when the weather is nice out.... :D Its too cold for streaking....

mine has enough rust in it to drain out all the water. :D

GrimmJeeper said:
i found a bag of pot and a pipe in mine 3 years ago right after i bought it :spin1:

How was it ? decent weed or crap :D :D I dunno about using someone elses pipe.

Back