• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB: Dash Switches

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for rear defroster and fog light dash switches for a 95. I'd alos like the panel with the writing that describes the switches since mine only has one hole on the right panel and the left panel is blank. I assume 84-96 would work?

My XJ didn't come with a rear defroster or fog lights, but I recently put a new rear window in and it has the defroster, plus is appears that all of the wiring is already there. So I'd like to add it.

I installed fog lights and would like to use the factory switch, which I'm sure I can wire up as long as it's not a momentary switch. I've never seen one in person so I don't know if they are.

I also have an e-locker and would like to use a factory switch to activate that as well. I hate the push button that came with it and figure I could get one of the factory switches to work with it as long as it's not a momentary switch.

I have some panels and switches lying around, let me see what i can dig up.

I recently switched a panel and switch in my 94, noticed the prongs on the switch differed from one i had. So the wiring/plug wont be identical 84 through 96.

Best bet is to avoid 80's stuff probably. Get as close to your year as possible.

Thanks John. Let me know what you find.
I checked the factory parts books and it looks like the fogs are the same from at least 84-96, but the defrosters are only the same from 92-96.
Even though I don't need the wiper switch, they are the same from 84-96.
I'm guessing the fog switch would work for my locker.

If OverlandXJ can't find one, I have a spare around (strangely, just got back to mass from my weekend PA trip to pick up tires and a lawn tractor, and drop off a leaf bushing and throttle body...)

Let me know if you need it. Will come with both switches and ~2" worth of wiring harness for each.

stone, i'll check in garage later and see what i can find. I used to have a bunch of that stuff.

You want this on the left..

XJswitch2.jpg

The one on the right only had the trans power/comfort option iirc. However, the hole is there if you cut the black cover over it.

XJswitch3.jpg

Ooooo, pretty simulated wood.... I've got the mega-cheap black plastic look going.

The defogger on the left is one of the ones I'm after. Since I don't have either on the left there's no bracket behind the plastic cover. I drilled a hole trough the cover and mounted the elocker push button there. I guess I need to snag the bracket piece on the left too.

OK, i could only find this one. It doesnt have the icon for the driving lights, and the switch is the one that didnt match the plug on my 94. But it's yours if you want it bud.

I may stop in at the local upull this weekend, they had a 95-96 there that i grabbed a gauge cluster for one of the SEC members.. i'll see if it has what your looking for if someone else doesnt hook you up prior.

XJswitch4.jpg

Carefull on what panels you get.

I got bit this weekend.

I found a XJ with the illuminated 12V port, the clock panel that goes next to the inst. panel. and picked up the rear wipe/auto trans power/econ panel.

Only to find out that I don't have the proper wiring in my XJ (96) to hook up the clock, and the power port. I can make the power port work but I don't have the proper connector anywhere for the clock.

As for the rear wipe/trans switch I have the AX-15 so I'm not to worried about the trans switch, I'm planning on using the switch for rear mounted flood lights/back up lights.

I totally agree. Try to stay as close to your model year of XJ you can find in the bone yard.

Good Hunting.

The one I have looks like John's but with the driving/fog light switch and legend as well (I think it has the legend, anyways.) Let me know if you want it - it's yours for shipping costs, I already have one in my Heep and got it for a pittance because I pulled a huge pile of other dashboard/electrical junk at the same time.

Note: it does NOT have the little indicator bulb sockets behind it, somehow they got lost. There are holes in the bezel for bulbs though.

If no one else has one for you, I'm probably going to the junk yard this weekend. I'll check back later in the week to see if you got a hold of one, and if not, I can pull you one from the yard.

Wow guys, so many options, thanks. :)

I think that I may take a JY run myself this weekend. It seems like I need the piece behind the switches as well. After I see what kind of luck I have at the yard I'll see what I still need.

Thanks again.

how far is Honey Brook from New Ringold? I've seen you on BMJA so you might not be that far. There is a place called EZ pull that is/was loaded with XJ's. When I lived out that way I would just go out on Saturdays to collect XJ stuff for spares... Might be worth the trip if you're close.

Back