• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wrapping up a 5.3 swap

lagoober

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I'm trying to wrap up a 5.3 swap in my xj and it looks like the anti-theft / VATS system is not allowing my engine to stay running. Does anyone know of a local tuner or someone with the ability to just disable this piece in the PCM? By local, I mean somewhere between corona/norco and santa fe springs along the 91.

Thanks!

Thanks Grimm! I saw mention of the 30 minute trick, but just never got around to doing it. I figured a tuner would ultimately be the way to go for a few other adjustments as well. But i'm getting anxious to hear this thing purr, so I think I'll give it a go tonight. After all, it technically is a silverado sitting in my XJ at this point, so hopefully it works. If it does....then I button everything up and see if I can light up all 4 corners lol

Thanks again for taking the time out.

check out the threads in the street and performance forum there have been a few great LS swaps with detailed build threads.

I want to see it when you're done, lol.

I can't wait for it to be done! Just hearing the thing turn over and fire with open headers is badass! It only runs for a second and dies out, but damn its cool.

The 30 minute thing didn't work, but it is likely my timing was bad. My brother has a programmer, so I'm seeing if I can add my vehicle to it. That way, I can make adjustments as needed without having to see a tuner every time.

this is a smart swap.....I am surprised more don't go down this path. :thumbup:

Content unavailable.
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.

Sounds like your post is private.

That sounds good! open header? Did you also have the swap out the trans and transfer case?

Thanks! Yep, open headers at the moment. the engine I found came with a 4l60e transmission, np241 transfer case and another transfer case thrown in. so I put the entire setup in the xj. waiting on the sye from jbconversions for the rear. I'm getting close!

what are you doing for exhaust/downpipe?

Still working through some of those items. I was going to fab up my own long arm with clearance for the exhaust up both sides of the tranny, but for time sake, I went with a kit.....which shot my clearances all to hell. I'll probably end up routing it between the rear of the oil pan and bell housing. The headers I have in there are Hooker 8501, which are supposed to be "stock like replacements", they just hug the block a bit more (figured this might help with state referee). Both sides dump to the rear. The engine also sits a little lower than most of these swaps because I wanted to fit the truck intake under the hood so I made my own mounts. It is tight and I might need a very small cowl for a little breathing room, but the hood will close as it stands.

Back