• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there a simple mod faq that has general consensus of the XJ community? (newbie)

Yep Root Moose,

I found a few similar accounts digging into forum posts here and there.

There's a good point to what you're saying.

I guess my take on your deal is if you're going to take the thing apart and put it back together, or pay someone to do that, save your money and overbuild what you can for later -- especially if you're the type who's "prone" to mod vehicles. This would avoid buying say a basic 2 or 3" lift and tires, then a few years later going to a 4-5 and 32s, and gears, and SYE and lockers..... etc....

Thanks again to all who replied, I'm building up a list of links of decent articles and it all pretty much makes sense.

Funny thing though, I'm still reading 50/50 on "does a 1996 or later XJ with a 3"-3'5" lift and 31" tires need an SYE." Some folks say, no way. Some say heck yeah, right away.

I figure it's work saving to get as much done at one time as I can.

Re: Is there a simple mod faq that has general consensus of the XJ community? (newbie)

You're local and like-minded, so I sent a PM, you're welcome to join us in wheeling or wrenching. We'll lend you a hand with either.

Re: Is there a simple mod faq that has general consensus of the XJ community? (newbie)

Good questions and some good advice answers. Here's my philosphy when it comes to the trail - keep what you brought, protect what you brought improve what you brought.

Start with the minimum equipment for a sanctioned NAXJA run. Tow/recovery points front and rear, fire extinguisher, full size spare (ok ok - working spare) 1st aid kit and secured battery. There are several manufacturers of front tow points, the important thing to remember is that there needs to be a bracket to spread the stresses, don't just put a bolt through the uni-frame. For the rear, use a properly attached tow hitch and shackle in the reciever. Tow strap, no hooks.

Next think body protection. Fuel tank skid, TC skid and rocker protection seem the most used. Again several manufacturers that advertize here on this board produce what you need and each one has a dedicated following. I ran some trails with some great people at the 20th Anniversay run in Moab two years ago with just the improvements noted and my sister (rightseatsis) did the same with her 01 XJ this past October at the Moab run. Stock XJs work well.

Improve what you brought...ok here's where it gets sticky...I read alot from what the west coast gettin crew posts and a common thread (read the Sierra Chapter thread about building for Fordyce) with these guys is that they starteed just above stock and learned the capabilities of their rig and how to read the terrain for the correct track lines before starting to build their 'hard core' rock crawler. Crash and Jes stress this alot.

Most folks want the lift first, well lifts lead to SYE's that lead to driveshafts. & lifts lead to bigger tires, that require new wheels and brakelines and shocks and bump stops. Bigger tires lead to needing gearing to regain the lost performance, etc...

Just one man's thoughts...but what ever you decide the two best investments you can make are joining NAXJA and purchasing a factory service manual.

Tom

Last edited:
Boatwrench said:
the two best investments you can make are joining NAXJA and purchasing a factory service manual.

Cant agree more

Back