• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Worth it to go pass side drop?

JeepFreak21 said:
You make some great points. I do plan on keeping the 4.0/aw4. Has anybody done it with this combo? How did it clear?
Thanks,
Billy

I put a 4.0, aw4 and dana 300 into my cj8 which has a shortened wagoneer passenger drop d44 up front and a centered 44 wagoneer rear. The exhaust on the cj was on the drivers side already, and the starter motor clearance isn't a problem. The rear fluid return lines on the aw4 will get in the way of the driveline depending on how much lift you use, but I solved that by using metric 90 degree elbows on the rear fitting. There is a clearance issue on the tranny "bell" housing if your driveline has a large diameter and the front pinion is shifted to the drivers side like my narrowed 44. If you were going to use a full width axle it shouldn't be a problem. I used a Novak adapter which is necessary to get the 300 front seal housing not to hit the output seal on the aw4. It is about 7/8 of an inch thick and also clocks the 300 up to almost flat. The flatter it is mounted the more of a clearance issue you will have on the tranny and driveline. More lift helps with the tranny to driveline clearance.

Hope this helps,
Dave

Back