• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

worked on my Exo today

Does the front of the exo just "run along" the window? Or is it tied in somewhere? I can't tell in the pics. Im asking b/c if its not, then wont it do more damage if you were to hit something high and head on? Or should I up my meds and stay quiet? Learn me! please!

There is gonna be another tube running down to the rock rail and a cross tube over the cowl. I still have to decide on how I want to do the backend

Ted Z said:
POR15 requires the por15 topcoat for anything exposed to UV... it says that right in the instructions. :idea:

shhhhhh......I did the tire carrier like when POR-15 came out, so I don't even think the UV safe top coat was out yet.

BTW, I've got POR-15 friends who gives our family nice discounts.... sometimes it's good to live in NJ. :)

I like it. So far so good, you're gonna tie that upper fender bar to the lower one aren't you? that'd make it extree beefy at the front fender.

Get out there & make up some damn B, C, D pillars!

-jb

vintagespeed said:
I like it. So far so good, you're gonna tie that upper fender bar to the lower one aren't you? that'd make it extree beefy at the front fender.

Get out there & make up some damn B, C, D pillars!

-jb

It will have to wait until after Calico for anymore progress, trying to do it in such a way as not to down the Jeep, 6 months was way to long last time.

Fullsizexj said:
managed to get most of the roof section done
1248917-P1200230.jpg

That roof is just rediculious...Many braces but not well thoughout..waists alot of tube. As said before, simple triangulation would have reduced the amount of tube used, and reduced weight.

Why did you do it that way?

I like the front fender bar progress, a couple of compound bends.. fun!

i don't have way to post a picture, but I would have put a large cross "+" in there, then connected the node of the cross to the corners with 4 more bars, giving you 8 triangles. that's my first thought at least, if I was actually building an exo I would put much more though into it. the simple fact is that triangles are way stronger than squares.

URF's exo going onto Princess II.
Something like this with a front to rear tube in the center and a side to side tube in the center as well?
Roofrack.jpg

mad maXJ said:
yup! I would add a "+" to that "x"
I thought about something like that but I want it to double as a roof rack since I don't have much trunk space with the rear coilover hoop frame and spare tire in the back.

ashmanjeepxj said:
That roof is just rediculious...Many braces but not well thoughout..waists alot of tube. As said before, simple triangulation would have reduced the amount of tube used, and reduced weight.

Why did you do it that way?

I like the front fender bar progress, a couple of compound bends.. fun!

But the size of the squares or triangles has a lot to do with the strength, plus knowing where the loads are going to come from. One of the points in having a roof halo is to keep the top intact in a rollover, where loads can come mostly from the side. With the size and number of the squares in this cage it becomes a grid, and will be very strong, plus would make a great base for a roof rack. I see no point in talking about triangles being a better design....just different ways to do the same thing. I did mine like has been suggested, with a cross and then tubing out to each corner, but mine is shorter because the back is cut off, and I'll put a floor of diamond plate for the roof rack, when I get around to adding it.

Phil Weeks said:
URF's exo going onto Princess II.
Something like this with a front to rear tube in the center and a side to side tube in the center as well?
Roofrack.jpg

there will be two more tubes per side, they originate where the B and C come through the roof and terminate in the middle.

Mines for chassis stiffness and not protection, though.

Can we all just admit that if you roll your junk over, it's gonna be fawked? All this exo talk of protecting body panels is a waste of breath.

Mr Murphey follows me around. I could put 12,000 feet of 1.5 tube around the exterior of my truck, and a darned rock would poke into the gas tank filler hole, spark on the tubing and blow me all to hell.

And I take exception with Phil's "exo" nomenclature for Princess II. It's just a roof rack :D

CRASH

Back