• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Brake/Steering Upgrade

Mike H.

NAXJA Forum User
Are there clearance issues on a rig with small lift.
I'm sitting at 2.5"... running 33x10.50's on stock brakes and it's terrible, going to 35" rubber soon... must improve brakes.

It works on a stock WJ at lower heights that that. The more parallel to the ground and to each other you can get the drag link/trackbar the better. You will have to do a new trackbar mount.

Re: Re: WJ Brake/Steering Upgrade

... running 33x10.50's on stock brakes and it's terrible, going to 35" rubber soon... must improve brakes.

[Opinion] There's a lot a things that can make XJ brakes suck even with stock tires. I'd recommend fixing those BEFORE upgrading your calipers or you may have a hard time knowing if your system is performing optimally down the road... Depending on the year you may want to upgrade your booster, definitely replace all your fluid if it's been more than a few years, rebuild the hardware in your rear drums and make sure they're adjusted properly, rubber lines become too flexible with age (causing them to expand when you brake) and need to be replaced as well. If you overlook doing these things and just run out and upgrade your calipers and rotors and still aren't satisfied, how will you know what to do next?

I know on my '87 after doing everything but the booster upgrade I could lock up my 31's. On my 2000 I did it all again and was satisfied with my panic-stop distance on 33's. If you're going to 35's start now by making sure your system is in tip-top shape! [/Opinion]

You may have done all this already... In which case, keep being awesome :D

I appreciate where you are coming from however...
The stock Brakes were totally rebuilt, good pads and shoes, fluid fully bled, I run stainless lines, it's a '97 with the stock booster. That was the first time after going to 33's. It sucked, I dealt with it for a year. I decided to go to rear disks and WJ fronts about 16 months ago and was persuaded to rebuild the stock setup... a second time... I regretted it the first time traffic came to a halt on the freeway there after, and have ever since. I am not doing this a 3rd time.

You will love these brakes.I just finished up the swap two weeks ago.I am on 31s for now.I have zj rear disks,wj booster these brakes are ridiculous! do it and don't look back.Just be prepaed to lay out some cash.

Well, the rig is my daily driver, and there was just too many issues to address to keep it so I've gone to the dark side.
P1060134_zpse430cf35.jpg~original

2013, V6 6spd, 4.56's and dealer will swap out the tires for some KM2's

Back