• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Window Tint Question??

Yucca-Man

NAXJA Member # 683
I've been toying with the idea of putting darker tint on my rear windows for awhile now, but don't know how to proceed with one part. The rear hatch has the factory defroster across the glass, so what could I expect if I tinted over it? Any recommendations on how to proceed/what type tint might work better on the defroster grid?

Thanks,
Jim www.yuccaman.com

I've had no problems tinting over defroster grids as long as you clean it real well. I would think that window would actually be real easy considering it's shape/contour. It's been a while but I've always just used the stuff from Auto Zone.

quality tint makes a world of difference. (I.E. concord film is good and inexpensive). clean well with windex and if possible remove back glass.

It would be much easier to get a good cut with the glass out of the hatch because of the design of the rubber gasket. I went to a few tinting courses over the years (I tint my own and play dumb when anyone asks-unless its worth it) I'd recommend lightly cleaning the grid and glass with a fine scotchbrite pad,then clean it well. Don't cheap out on tint ,gila is pretty good tint. The problem with the rear windows on the cherokee is the window gasket design. When you go to work out the water and "fingers" it pulls (sips) dirt and dust from the gasket no matter what you do and how clean it is. When I tint that type of glass I cut it a little short (not too much cause you'll see the light where the tint doesn't cover) and put 1/4 inch black pinstripe around the perimeter of the outer glass, Looks smart and cleans it up, and it is virtually invisible from the inside.

I realize removing the windows would be easier, but in this case we're talking about 12-year old, 218,000-mile windows and gaskets that don't leak and I don't want to mess with success! :D

Thanks for the info though; I'll probably do it within the next couple weeks. Is it possible that factory tint fades? Looking at old pictures, it really seems as though the back windows were darker 8 years ago.

Although I did my Toyota 4x4 pickup's windows many years back, I want to avoid the "checkerboard" look of many do-it-yourself tint jobs. Would also like to make sure I get a dark tint, and not a metallic dark tint...any thoughts?

Thanks for the help so far,
Jim

I hear ya on not wanting to take the glass out, but I've found it a lot easier to tint the hatch when it's off the vehicle(never done an xj). Might not be too bad sitting in the back to do it though.

Back