• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winches?

IllianaXJ said:
Read this comparo on winches, pretty interesting. Personally I run a TMax, and love it. I had a Ramsey previously and hated it, a Hilift jack would have been faster.

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/gene ... icleID=353
Ya I was just going to look for this article, I think its a good one. I enjoyed this paragraph.

"Be it effective marketing, brand recognition, reputation, or simply propaganda, all testers involved had an expectation that the sun will rise in the East and the Warn will accomplish the pull. While the other winches were being watched closely to see if they would finish, the Warn’s ability to finish a pull was never doubted. In fact, it only received an occasional glance to see when it was done. This peace of mind alone may be worth the premium price to some readers."

Anyone use this winch before? (Warn 9Rc) What did ya think?
RCP Phx said:
Its basically for competition,very limited line length.I wouldnt even consider it for a recovery winch!

Cool, thanks for your input. What did you think about how it operated? How much did you pay for yours? And which competitions have you used it in? You have used it before, right?

I don't think he has it, he was probably just saying that it was for competition use mainly, and wouldn't be suitable for a recovery winch when out on the trail.

Another Vote for SmittyBilt here...

mini-IMG_0764.jpg

IntrepidXJ said:
Warn M8000.......I won't trust anything without a red 'W' on my rigs when I'm out alone

x2

Tried and true. Know 'em inside and out from PM rebuilds (that's Preventative Maintanence for those keeping score). Only issues I've seen with 'em are the occasional bad solenoid (happens) and failures were from gross n00b negligence.

Go Warn. :)

Begster said:
I don't think he has it, he was probably just saying that it was for competition use mainly, and wouldn't be suitable for a recovery winch when out on the trail.
Yep,there is one particular spot where we have to winch up,and 50' isnt going to get it!

Find an used 8274, they are everywhere and so are the parts. You can rebuild them on your bench and they are bulletproof. Besides being underrated for power, they are one of the fasted line speed winches available. With new synthetic line, a new solenoid cover, new remote, and seal kit, I have a grand total of ~$400 into mine.

i have a harbor freight 10k that has never let me down. even under water and mud. it is slower than other winches but always gets the job done. these winches are actually the same thing as the mile marker winches. i bought it used for 200 so it was a no brainer. if i ever need to buy another winch ill probably buy another one just like it.

outlander said:
who the hell cares if a winch is slow?I'm not in that big of a hurry to get unstuck.I can wait on my tabor 9k to do its duty.

i've come across a number of situations where I was winching uphill and driving and needed my winch to be able to keep up so I didn't overrun the cable. no-load line speed is the most important spec i look at when buying a winch.

outlander said:
who the hell cares if a winch is slow?I'm not in that big of a hurry to get unstuck.I can wait on my tabor 9k to do its duty.

The guy who got suckered into being behind you on the trail cares.

:anon:

IntrepidXJ said:
i've come across a number of situations where I was winching uphill and driving and needed my winch to be able to keep up so I didn't overrun the cable. no-load line speed is the most important spec i look at when buying a winch.

Yeah, when I bought my Champion winch, I didn't care that it was slow, but the first time I had to use it (winching somebody up an icy forest road), the driver overran the cable several times, getting it caught up in his wheel more than once. It did the job eventually, but we kept losing ground we gained with the engine because the winch wouldn't keep up.

I got my Warn M8000 with lifetime warranty for about $550.00 to my door.

Can you get a cheaper winch? Yes. Are there other winches with the same specs for $50.00 to $100.00 cheaper? Yes. Would I feel more comfortable buying
a product from a company known for its service and quality, and probably be around longer than me, and my jeep? the answer is yes again.

ill tell you what my first and only winch was a tabor 9K i def dont think it is the best winch but it had never let me down and it was super cheap ive had it for 4 years i think now its been submerged multiple times and also submerged and frozen here in alaska...it is def slow but it works

I have a warn 5687 8,000 pound winch that I took off of my old Jeepster, it is at least 30 years old, and still pulls like hell. When on my Jeepster it pulled the jeep and a 99 powerstroke on 35s, both dug down, through the sand. The only problem with it is.. how the heck do I mount it on my XJ?

Harbor freight 299.99 special.. Hasn't failed me yet and it looks like a mile marker(probly made in the same place different sticker) 8000lb pull rate, and my dad has puled down trees onto my truck.He was to lazy to get the chain saw.
Mr. X:peace:

Back