• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch Questions

Bill.
I have the 10.5K Milemarker, I also love it, have not suffered the steering/winching issue, and run a synth. cable. Take it from me on this......give it up...this is not a hydro friendly crowd.
Maybe this is cause thier are not enough of them, maybe because it is different, maybe there is something to the steering/winching issue. I also have been able to steer and winch...but I have yet to do what I would call a hard pull, face it, the thing is rated at 10.5K Lbs.....it would take allot for a hard pull on this winch. In the areas and conditions I wheel, straight pulls in mud are more the norm., I don't do rocks.

You like yours...I like mine...we believe in them.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Bill.
I have the 10.5K Milemarker, I also love it, have not suffered the steering/winching issue, and run a synth. cable. Take it from me on this......give it up...this is not a hydro friendly crowd.
Maybe this is cause thier are not enough of them, maybe because it is different, maybe there is something to the steering/winching issue. I also have been able to steer and winch...but I have yet to do what I would call a hard pull, face it, the thing is rated at 10.5K Lbs.....it would take allot for a hard pull on this winch. In the areas and conditions I wheel, straight pulls in mud are more the norm., I don't do rocks.

You like yours...I like mine...we believe in them.

Rev
Thanks for the advice!:cool:

"it is illogical to say that "whatever will stop a 6000 lb winch will probably stop a 8000 or 10000 pound winch too".

You're right, Beezil, it WOULD be illogical to say that. That's why I didn't and wouldn't. I still, however, believe that most of the people who think 8,000 lbs. is a "minimum" winch for an XJ are simply ignorant of how much can be done with a 6,000 lbs. winch.

(Probably shouldn't react at all, but you done went ahead and used the "i" word . . . .)

I really enjoy the lectures given about "ignorance " from folks who delight in pushing the minimums and maximums of various activities.

Yeah, it's a real, fat, boring life here in "standards" land, except when we get to watch the risk takers on MaxTV.

Nope, I don't consider this a good debate. Just a soapbox for the "I can do things beyond what the book says" crowd. This sport is littered with variations (don't need no stinkin' fancy towpoints either, axle tubes are real strong, never broke on me before)

Nobody is saying you can't do it, we're just questioning the wisdom of choosing to go below what the collective experience has been - ignorance nonwithstanding.

Russian Roulette, anyone?

Mike in NJ :patriot:

I didn't intend to offend anyone by using the word "ignorant." It simply seemed to fit.

I, for instance, am completely ignorant of the situations where an 8,000 lbs. winch would work but a 6,000 lbs. winch wouldn't. I don't doubt that such situations exist, but I've never come across them so I am ignorant. If someone calls me ignorant about this I'll say, "Yep! I sure am."

As Mark Twain once said, "We're all ignorant, just on different subjects."

As for pushing minimums and maximums, the original poster specifically ASKED about the minimum. I answered his question. Others offered different views. Based on the discussion I suspect that he now has a good idea what is a reasonable minimum, as well as what offers a larger margin of safety. I'd call that a very good debate.

For reference the Milemarker Winches have a 2.5hp motor the 210:1 gearing helps keep the speed consistent.

Ok so some people have managed to get by with only a 6k winch and i know a fellow XJer in my local club who has a 5k that has gotten him out of some bad spots but guess what he wants a 8k winch or bigger, why? becauser its the better way to go. I had a x8000i on my xj and it was nice as hell and did what it had to but when it was stollen i decided to go up to the x9000i. I've with most every one hear get at least an 8k winch. now for the whole warn ,ramsey ,milemarker thing I chose warn since i know they last and for the most part wount leave me when i need it the most. I know a few running ramsey and they have had problems with them. I almost got a new 9k MM but ended up with the warn since I am a trail guide for Camp Jeep ans Jeep jambos I wanted to know that it would work no questions asked and form what i've seen in the past there is no question warn is the way to go. Also the M800 doesnt come with a roller fairlead just a hause unless you swet take who you gwtting it from.

Read the BillaVista article.

GREAT piece of work.

WOW I thought this was an easy question i was WRONG. Well since I opened a can of worms thatks for fishing guys. It seems 8000 is the conscenses for size, and it's mixed as for make. I was about set on the MM. But now I may be leaning at the Warn M8000. I have not heard from anyone who has the MM. any opinians? I am leaning now for warn or ramseybecause of the lifetime warrenty. does anyone run the $399 ramsey REP8000? Any opinians?

I'm winchless for now, but when I do plunk down the change it'll be on a hydro. Undecided as to fixed mount or a multi mount style for a hitch so I have front and reverse winching available.

And back on page one or two someone mentioned 5/16 cable possibly not standing up to loads with a snatch block. You can buy 3/8, and I think I've seen 7/16 somewhere. IIRC 3/8 is somewhere around 14,400 test (could be wrong).

on the debate between a 6k and a 8k winch,
where the 6 k is running hard the 8k would be going easy.
I personally would rather have a few extra pounds on the jeep and a few less bills in my wallet just for the peace of mind.

and dmillion soon enough you'll be kicking yourself in the ass saying i should have bought a 8k,
after you replace the motor in your 6k and have more into it than it would have initally cost for the 8k that would still be going strong.

I will be running a m12000 soon because i got it cheap, but i wouldnt have settled for anything less than a 8k

Mike

All I can say is don't get a Mile Marker electric. My buddy fried a brand new E1200 in one trail run. It was on a K5 Blazer but still that says to me JUNK. I would look at a Warn or Ramsey. I just got a Warn M8000 because the price was right and you cant beat the Warn reputation.

"...soon enough you'll be kicking yourself in the ass saying i should have bought a 8k"

Wrong. I've been using this particular 6k winch for 12 years now. Hasn't let me down yet. I'll let you know if it ever does, but I wouldn't recommend that you hold your breath.

Just thought I'd add a story. I have a 98 with 4.5 inches of lift, 33s etc and a Warn X8000i that I picked up used. And I burnt it out. Now, I still love it, and it works great after I fixed it. I should explain. My brother has a 90 GMC fullsize with 4 inches and 33s, and about 350hp. He decided to take the hard line through a mud pit down a local gas line. Needless to say, he was down to the frame very quickly with that weight and horsepower, and then it was all up to me. Obviously, I couldn't just tug him out with the minimal weight of my XJ, so I tied my hitch off to a tree (I know, not the best thing to do), and commenced putting my l'il X8000i to work. It pulled for a long time straight, no stopping (I know, another stupid thing to do, but every time I thought about stopping, he sunk back in...) and I ended up pulling him out just in time for my winch to stop working. Now, this is the interesting part. After cooling down for a while, it started working again and I reeled in my cable and drove home. What finally finished it off is when I got a phone call from my uncle, who was stuck out in a field in the snow...really deep snow (I'm Canadian, btw), and I winched. And winched. Uphill. For a while. Finally pulled him out (did I mention this was a fullsize again?), once again just in time for the winch to stop working. Fortunately, I also tore the cable just as I pulled him out, so I didn't have to worry about running the cable into my window and driving home with an open window in -30C weather. That did it. BUT...all I had to do to that thing was open it up, replace the 2 really badly burnt solenoids that control the reeling in motion (about $100 Cdn.) and a new cable ($50 Cdn.), and it's as good as new. If that story convinces anyone out there to go with Warn, my job is done. Oh, a few side notes...I'm running dual Optima Yellows into the winch, so that helped. Also, replaced the cable and added a heat sink onto the motor side of the winch, which should keep the motor cooler and reduce draw through the solenoids and coil of the motor. Oh, and I regreased the gears and painted the case, just to make it purty... Sorry for my verbosity, just thought this might help sell someone on Warn.

Back