• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch Questions

What I found Out (Kinda Long)

Well after some reserch this is what I found. Couldn't find horse power on all but these are the numbers I believe, I have no idea of how many selinoids each has.
Mile marker E8000 2 year warrenty, 80lbs, 32FPS up to 4800lb pull, 26FPS at 5500, 20 FPS at 6500 and 14FPS at 8000.

Mile Marker E9000 2 year warrenty, 82lbs, 32FPS up to 5400, 26FPS at 6200, 20FPS at 7300, and 14FPS at 9000

Warn M8000 Lifetime Warrenty74lbs, 42FPS no load, 16FPS at 2200, 11FPS at 4200, 9FPS at 5500, and 8FPS at 8000

Ramsey REP8000 Lifetime Warrenty, 75lbs, 36FPS at no load,15FPS at 2200,12FPS at 4200,8FPS at 5500,5FPS at 8000

The Prices Being Around $399 Mile Marker E8000 w/ regular hause
$449 Mile Marker E9000 w/ roller hause
$589 Warn M8000 w/ roller hause
$399 Ramsey REP8000 w/ roller hause

So with all this to me the Mile Marker E9000 looks almost irresistable. Highest weight rating, fastest line pull (loaded), good looking price
Down Side Heaviest, not an issue for me, slowest no load pull, only 2 year warrenty
So now I'm looking for opinians, I don't think the winch will see enormas use, but may get dunked in muddy water, as the is mud where I am. And Mud may be the prime time I use it. Lets hear it!

I don't have any experience with the Milemarker, but a few friends have them and they say they're junk.

If it's only going to see occasional use, then the Ramsey would be the "best buy".

I'm still a hardcore WARN man. If you want something that will work when you want it to work, that is the one you want.

Goatman, how can you talk smack about the HS9500? The operator must be smarter than the equipment!

Flowers

Beezil said:

agree with hydro.....pulls like crazy.....unless you are trying to steer and winch at the same time!

SPOBI alert!
My Milemarker 10,500# works GREAT steering and winching at the same time. It's a non-issue. The valve that transfers fluid and power to the steering pump does what it's designed to do.
This is a common misconception passed on by folks who've never used a Milemarker.
Spanking machine for you!;)

Re: What I found Out (Kinda Long)

96xjeeper said:
So now I'm looking for opinians, I don't think the winch will see enormas use, but may get dunked in muddy water, as the is mud where I am. And Mud may be the prime time I use it. Lets hear it!
If you want a winch that will run all day, even UNDER water, then the Milemarker hydralic series deserves some serious consideration. The install's a piece of cake, and there's no "upgrading" of the battery or alternator. True, it won't run with the engine off, but neither will an electric for very long.:eek:

This is a common misconception passed on by folks who've never used a Milemarker.

Billyfanny,

I *HAD* the milemarker 10,500 winch!

you'll never catch me speaking like that about a product I haven't had first-hand experience with!

I even had the "steering priority" valve......

sure, I could winch, and then i could steer, but trying to do both at the same time was a nowhere deal......Just about EVERYTIME I uesd that winch, I would have to winch hard WHILE putting on some kind of steering pressure.....a little turn of the wheel, no more winch......

so I said to myself "no more hydro"......

got myself a Warn winch AT COST/TAX FREE when I was involved in a manufacturing project that used one......so the switch for my was easy......

I still have the Milemarker, its in awesome shape, so if any of you guys out there want one, make me an offer. I'll gladly sell it, but I'm not giving it away!

Interesting...:confused:
I've had more than a few instances where I needed to steer and winch at the same time, and it's always worked fine.
I'll take it over melted power cables anytime. (been there, done that!)
In addition, the Milemarker's quieter and MUCH more precise. If you need to pull in just a LITTLE cable for whatever reason, it's easy with the MM. With a 9500i, you bump the switch and you OFTEN get too much, as the motor winds up and then back down. (also experienced that!)
When I got rid of my TJ, I finally ditched the warn and bought the winch I really needed and wanted. Milemarker!

Last edited:
Well, just to clarify, the 1.5 times vehicle weight recommendation is most certainly *NOT* only applicable on level hard ground. I have had my XJ axle deep in gumbo mud (back when I lived in NC) and pulled it out with no problems with--yes, believe it or not--my 6,000 lbs. winch. Now I live in Colorado and I have pulled the Jeep up and over a rock ledge, again, with the same 6,000 lbs. winch.

Certainly, an 8,000 lbs. winch is not overkill. Just as certainly, they do cost more and weigh more. I suspect that the reason most people recommend an 8,000 lbs. winch is simply because that is what's most common and they have never seen how thoroughly competent a 6,000 lbs. winch can be with an XJ sized vehicle.

Sean where's your winch?

Nice thing about standards - there are always exceptions, Don.

Regarding your winching experiences, you're clearly very skilled and/or very lucky.

Sorry, but I don't buy the story that, in the right hands, a 6000 lb winch will do the trick in all sorts of conditions. Of course, neither will an 8000, 9500, or 12000. Besides skill, it's also about probability and margin of error. In safety situations (and using a winch isn't a convenience), more capable is always better.

Maybe it's my bias as a firefighter, and having the right sized piece of apparatus for any job, but a 6000# winch does not provide enough of a comfort zone for safely and regularly recovering a 3500-4000# vehicle under adverse conditions.

Don't believe me? (...and I would certainly understand why - considering my earlier screw-ups in this thread). Just ask any commerical tow truck or recovery operator to show you their handbook of towing principles - the 1.5 factor rapidly increases under any unusual situation.

An 8000# winch (and I too am biased towards Warn) is the minimum I would recommend to any first time XJ buyer.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

I'm actually very surprised I'm not hearing from the electric folks who've smoked their winches..ESPECIALLY you 6k guys. I ran a 6k on the Jeep because it was free...and I always used a snatchblock...but I never had many hard pulls.

you run a 6k winch...or even an 8K on an XJ that weighs in at over 4200# (like mine does...4000 at street weight with no swampers and gear) and you get really stuck, you will need to be very careful you don't smoke that winch.

I like the new Warn Ti that tells you before it smokes;)

A 6,000 lbs. winch WILL do the trick, Mike, in "all sorts of conditions." I've used mine in all sorts of conditions. What I think you meant to say was that it won't do the trick in EVERY condition and I could certainly agree with that (although I have yet to find myself in one of those conditions).

As you said, no winch--6, 8, 15, however many thousands--is guaranteed to get you out of any and every situation. So, you have to compromise. The question is, what's the right compromise for MOST conditions?

The original question asked was, what's the smallest winch you would recommend for an XJ? For a lot of people the answer appears to be 8,000 lbs. Based on my personal experience, though, I have no hesitation recommending a 6,000 lbs. winch for an XJ. I would not, however, recommend anything smaller.

dmil, the 8274 has worked for me in what i can now categorize as "ALL situations".....

I don't have pictues, only one-ton as my witness to the winch pull of all winch pulls.

I can't describe it, it was so nuts......

no way in hell a 6000 lb. winch would have done it.......

IMHO, you want a winch that will work in ALL winch pulls reliably....

why have a winch that you can only rely on for mild to moderate winching?

one day you will find yourself in one of those "holy shit" situations, and THATS why you ante up for a winch 8000lbs and above.

it is illogical to say that "whatever will stop a 6000 lb winch will probably stop a 8000 or 10000 pound winch too"......well, that what I think you are saying essentially....if it is, its terribly faulty logic.

Better check into that $399 price for the Ramsey with roller. Most of the time their $399 winches don't come with ANY type of fairlead. BTW,don't you really mean "FPM" instead of "FPS"? Sounds like you're reading off the 8274 or the old-school Belvue's line speeds :laugh:

Ghost, my winch is in transit as we speak, errr type. A 6000 will "get you by" and that's pretty much it. It's great that someone has been lucky enough to not fry theirs doing some hard pulls. I and 99% of the folks on here won't recomend it. Does that tell you something? Most everybody I've seen reply on this thread actually has a winch or has extensive time being hooked to one :rolleyes: An m8000 will do you just fine and you have the warn service and quality backing it up.

Now on to the 9500 debate. I wouldn't recommend it to someone that has little or no experience with a winch. It's dangerously fast if the remote is in the wrong hands. You can stop the 3' of run in by bumping the remote real lightly/ quickly the other direction. The motors can take it, there is no load and you aren't going to shock anything. I love the 9500's, but would (and am) take a 8274 first any day of the week.

Uh Yah I did meen FPM, damn FPS thats a fast winch, don't get your hands cought in that! I may be wrong on the roller on the REP8000 From ramsey, But now I'm considering it over the Milemarker because of the warrenty, and the price. If I am correct though the $399 Ramsey is only 1.5HP as oppose to the 4.5HP thier more expensive winches have. Can I expect the same reliability, I am trying to avoid saving enough to shell out $600 or more but if $400 is buying "crap" i will wait. Anyone have the "cheap" ramsey, for 399 any opinians?

All this winch talk and not a single comment about types of gears?? Am I wrong thinking that the Warn 8275 is the only Warn mentioned one that is not a planetary gear set up??

Have you looked at the Ramsey professional (industrial) series??

Michael

OneTonXJ said:

Now on to the 9500 debate. I wouldn't recommend it to someone that has little or no experience with a winch. It's dangerously fast if the remote is in the wrong hands. You can stop the 3' of run in by bumping the remote real lightly/ quickly the other direction. The motors can take it, there is no load and you aren't going to shock anything.
There may be "workarounds" for the problem, but I personally prefer a winch that's easily controlable and STOPS when you let go of the button.
One of my pulls this past summer was helping out a buddy on a trail with a broken spring hanger on an old CJ. We had to get his rear axle aligned so it could be reattached. I REALLY needed the precice control, as we were moving the axle in inches, not feet. I don't think I'd have attemped that pull with the 9500i that I had previously. I think I sold a few Milemarkers that day. ;)

Back