• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch or Locker

well fellas I just bought the xrc8. My xj has a TNT winch bumper and I dont like the empty space plus I get bored after work a lot and wheel alone so I wanted the winch first. I HAVE to regear in the next few weeks because the old worn out 4.0 cant get those baby 32s moving on the highway. What gears would be good on my auto? I was thinking 4.56s since I plan on 33's after taxs.

You must have edited that post while I was typing my response, as I used your original stuck vs unstuck language. It was obvious I was responding to your original post. As far as talking shit on the Internet, that's the most retarded thing I've ever seen. Calling names like a schoolgirl from 1500 miles away, must be a tough guy. It has nothing to do with purist, I want to spend my time wheeling, not winching. Lockers help with that. Everybody gets stuck, but lockers let you spend more time wheeling and less time getting unstuck. Run the rubicon with open diffs and a winch, then run it locked without one(yes I've done both). Now tell me which was more enjoyable, and which started to feel like work.

OK, I have calmed down now, and I apologize for name calling.
I changed my original post because I thought of a better way to say the same thing. Wasn't even considering the stuck vs unstuck pickyness.
But I STILL stand by my statement. Winch before locker.:listenmus

Apology accepted. I don't know what you have for terrain in MN, but big rocks are zero fun without at least 1 locker. Winching every 3 minutes is just not my idea of a good time. In my opinion winches hinder people from learning how to wheel. Drive into a bad situation, yank it out. I will do everything I can to drive first, winch as a last resort.

Apology accepted. I don't know what you have for terrain in MN, but big rocks are zero fun without at least 1 locker. Winching every 3 minutes is just not my idea of a good time. In my opinion winches hinder people from learning how to wheel. Drive into a bad situation, yank it out. I will do everything I can to drive first, winch as a last resort.

Well, here is something we have in common.:woohoo:
But I did learn to wheel before I got a winch.
My winch is really only used for emergencies, not to yank me out when I use bad judgement.
For example, in order to avoid a turnaround, I would use the winch to get over an obstacle, so I don't have to drive 80 extra miles retracing my path to go around said obstacle. I feel that use is entirely appropriate. This has happened a few times while wheelin Colorado. Maybe some don't use their's that way. To each their own.

I used a winch (not mine) 2 times in the past 4 years of wheeling at rausch creek... I'm locked front and rear now but for the most part a recovery strap was all I've needed to get unstuck.

That said, I usually play in the rocks so that could be different then the guys that play in deep mud all the time. If you have a lot of mud where you wheel a winch would def have more use, lock the front first before anything though.

Back