• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch or Locker

Not mine: late 70's/ early 80's 8274. Found it on a local board for 500. Still in great shape, and will outlive the jeep.

Locker first, then winch

I know this is off topic! But

I was joking but btw we have the same winch mine I rebuilt (worked fine when I got I but looks way cleaner now)
the one w the amc jeep logo on the sticker.

I almost want the motor to die so I can put the newer (stronger) motor on it and motor spline. From the re released over priced one..
worked fine when I got it even with some old dirty water inside it.

I also paid 500 and am very happy with it it's long lasting durable and easy to rebuild amd parts are readily available from warn they have been very helpful in giving me c.s. On a 30 sumthin yr old winch

Last edited:
Yeah, just giving you chit, and assisting in changing this into a "what winch is best?" Thread

How long did the rebuild take you ( other than waiting for parts to come/ paint to dry?

Yeah, just giving you chit, and assisting in changing this into a "what winch is best?" Thread

How long did the rebuild take you ( other than waiting for parts to come/ paint to dry?

ok last off topic post. (LOCKERS WIN BTW)

me and my buddy did it over a weekend (pretty much a lil fri and sat nite) we weren't in a hurry I didn't have my bumper yet.
there are 2 great threads on it over at IH8mud (i think) with good pics and lots of good info..
If you do rebuild yours think about doing drain/fill plugs. not that it needs to be changed alot but I kinda wish I wouldve.

there's a ton of upgrades besides the upgraded solenoid pack/motor/motor spline .. ( the only stuff I'd ever do and only if that part fails first)

Like Double 6 hp motors, disc brakes, even water cooled dual motor set-ups. And a kit to replace the brake retaining clip w a threaded bolt.

mine is stock still (dont need upgraded) just new seals basically still runnin OLD parts and don't expect it to let me down . But a good ole high lift is good for emergency manual winching (dead batt?)

Last edited:
The locker will get you a hell of a lot further not stuck. A locker isn't there to get you unstuck, it helps prevent you from getting stuck. It would be called dragging or winching if that was what it was about. It's called wheeling because the driver behind the wheel is doing the work, not the cable dragging the jeep around. Why not just use a crane to set your jeep ontop of stuff, and then claim you drove it there?

The locker will get you a hell of a lot further not stuck. A locker isn't there to get you unstuck, it helps prevent you from getting stuck. It would be called dragging or winching if that was what it was about. It's called wheeling because the driver behind the wheel is doing the work, not the cable dragging the jeep around. Why not just use a crane to set your jeep ontop of stuff, and then claim you drove it there?

So, you have NEVER used a winch to get over an obstacle that you could not have done otherwise? Ya sure.
I stand by my statement.

60" high lift, shovel, lockerS, tow strap, stack rocks. I standby my statement, when I do need a strap, or stack rocks, or winch, I don't consider that obstacle as something I have "made". That is a fail. I find it hilarious that you changed your statement from "a winch will get you unstuck without a locker better than a locker will get you unstuck without a winch" and then claim to stand by your statement? Which statement, the first 1 I replied to or the modified 1?

60" high lift, shovel, lockerS, tow strap, stack rocks. I standby my statement, when I do need a strap, or stack rocks, or winch, I don't consider that obstacle as something I have "made". That is a fail. I find it hilarious that you changed your statement from "a winch will get you unstuck without a locker better than a locker will get you unstuck without a winch" and then claim to stand by your statement? Which statement, the first 1 I replied to or the modified 1?

What statement appears in the post?
And I posted that edit BEFORE your response. dipshit. You purist fags kill me
And where did I say "made"

So, I was scratching my balls..

and then my finger slipped into my anus..

and i ate it

Whoever said locker first if you wheel in groups, winch first if you wheel alone, I agree with that.

Also, cheaper winches do not necessarily mean broken winches. My Smittybilt has been worked hard and never acted up. It's slow, it's loud, but it works. Used it to drag dead cars up hills out of the desert, lift them onto a trailer, fold them in half and crush them. Pulled a Super Duty on 38s, an F350 on 33s, my own Jeep twice (in less than 10 minutes :D), and an Avalanche out of deep mud, a Prius, GMC 1500, and my 73 Ford with slide in camper out of the sand. Engo did well in the recent Four Wheeler test in all of the performance categories, but I've never heard of them prior to that test. T-Max matched or beat Warn in almost every performance category, but the price is about the same. Superwinch did very well also, but lost the ability to spool out from the remote, however, the Warn broke and was unusable. Based on that test, I'd consider TMAx or Superwinch if looking in that price range, Smittybilt for cheap, maybe take a chance on the Engo and its long term reliability.

You must have edited that post while I was typing my response, as I used your original stuck vs unstuck language. It was obvious I was responding to your original post. As far as talking shit on the Internet, that's the most retarded thing I've ever seen. Calling names like a schoolgirl from 1500 miles away, must be a tough guy. It has nothing to do with purist, I want to spend my time wheeling, not winching. Lockers help with that. Everybody gets stuck, but lockers let you spend more time wheeling and less time getting unstuck. Run the rubicon with open diffs and a winch, then run it locked without one(yes I've done both). Now tell me which was more enjoyable, and which started to feel like work.

a couple guys I wheel with bought the xrc8 from winchdepot.com and bought the lifetime warranty for like $20 extra. If it breaks return it and get a new one.

if you get a locker just go with buddys that have a winch, and the spartan locker in a 44 is great i like mine, makes a little noise when it unlocks but thats almost any luchbox type

Whoever said locker first if you wheel in groups, winch first if you wheel alone, I agree with that.

Also, cheaper winches do not necessarily mean broken winches. My Smittybilt has been worked hard and never acted up. It's slow, it's loud, but it works. Used it to drag dead cars up hills out of the desert, lift them onto a trailer, fold them in half and crush them. Pulled a Super Duty on 38s, an F350 on 33s, my own Jeep twice (in less than 10 minutes :D), and an Avalanche out of deep mud, a Prius, GMC 1500, and my 73 Ford with slide in camper out of the sand. Engo did well in the recent Four Wheeler test in all of the performance categories, but I've never heard of them prior to that test. T-Max matched or beat Warn in almost every performance category, but the price is about the same. Superwinch did very well also, but lost the ability to spool out from the remote, however, the Warn broke and was unusable. Based on that test, I'd consider TMAx or Superwinch if looking in that price range, Smittybilt for cheap, maybe take a chance on the Engo and its long term reliability.

that magazine is on the back of your toilet.. isnt it:)

To the OP, get both a winch and a locker before you propose to your GF while you still can get either. But seriously you said light wheeling so you don't really need a locker, and you also said mostly DD, might be better not having an auto locker at all during a SD winter. One South Dakotan to another, in the Black Hills I've done Jake, Dugan's, and Camp 5 and others open/open with very little trouble, granted I take the bypasses around places like Hal Johns...and you did say light wheeling. Get the winch first, especially if you wheel alone.

that magazine is on the back of your toilet.. isnt it:)
More like in my toilet after the weight they gave silly tests. Plus their ed in chief is the same guy calling us all whiners when people had a problem with Dirt Kings portraying us as a bunch of mayhem loving degenerates...

However, I do appreciate the performance info given by that test. I still wouldn't hesitate to buy a Warn given the right price, but it opened up my eyes to other options being available and possibly as good. My Smittybilt I just like because it's treated me well.

:cheers:

Back