• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

why do you guys spend so much on t-cases???

You get NP231s for that price with a fixed yoke already? :spin1: NP208J is Jeep. LH drop (same as XJ, MJ, YJ, TJ, ZJ) from '80 to '88 Full Sized Jeeps as an option (only cheaper stripped down models). I see them used for @$150 or so. You will need a spacer between the trans and tcase (23 spline AW4 or AX-15) and the rest I'm about to find out.
I have a NP242 AM (21 spline XJ case) I can compare it to and I'll be taking pics of the setup as I put it in my MJ.

Well I wouldn't compare a 241 to an Atlas. There is a difference between a gear driven transfer case & a chain driven.+ having 2lo front or rear wheel. I originally did the sye w/ the 231, then a few years later Terra had the 2low & 4:1 & I had a great price on them. Later found I wanted a little lower gearing & a gear driven box, sold the 231 & put in an Atlas 5:1 & never looked back.

Rob $.02 :cool:

Hey Jeepers, I am curious about this thread. I have a '94 COP XJ and it has the 242? I has 2 high, 4 part-time, 4 full-time, and 4 low. Is this a "bad" trnsfer case? If I'm only gonna' lift 3-4", max, and I'm only gonna' run 31"s, will this transfer case hold up and is it worth installing a SYE, should I need it?

Thanks, I'm mechanically challenged:-(

what about the fact that the NP241 is bigger, and heavier?

I know a few guys who have custom suspentions that depend on the small package of the 231 to fit in the vehicle... Clearance is king in this sport, and anything that makes me compromise that, isnt worth the $$$

Its looking like Im going to have to make a choice here real soon to buy a teralow or a Stak d300 replace a case - just based on clearance that I want my rig to have...

XJ_ranger said:
what about the fact that the NP241 is bigger, and heavier?

I know a few guys who have custom suspentions that depend on the small package of the 231 to fit in the vehicle... Clearance is king in this sport, and anything that makes me compromise that, isnt worth the $$$

Its looking like Im going to have to make a choice here real soon to buy a teralow or a Stak d300 replace a case - just based on clearance that I want my rig to have...

I hear that...I ended up clocking the D300 nearly flat, and I still had to notch the crossmember out for the detent spring retainer nut on the NP231. A half inch bigger and the flat belly skid would have been much harder to do.

Here's the pic I promised
ax15np208j.jpg

I have a 241or and a 231 with sye sitting side by side the only problem I see is the clocking is different. I have not tried to install it yet. Mainly because I am converting a 2 wheel drive xj to 4 wheel drive.

scorpio_vette said:
i was talking with a couple buddies a few days ago, and ran across some numbers that didn't make sense to me.

i see so many people spend tons of money on the tera 4:1, 2low wide chain upgrade etc.etc..etc.. and end up spending upwards to $1,500-$2,000 to end up with a "modified" 231.

why don't you just go to the dealership and buy a rubicon t-case brand new with warranty for around $1,300??? hell you could still add the tera 2lo if you really need it, and still safe money over the tera 4:1.

just curious...............

To answer the original question, at least my thoughts -

Because it's easier to justify a few hundred here and there. If you are trying to solve a specific problem, its much easier to spend the $400 for an upgrade than throw down for an atlas.

Its the same reason people put money into the D30. It's really not a half bad axle (as with the np231). The short term costs can be easily justified whereas the cost to upgrade to a 44 seems prohibitive to do all at once.

Lastly, its simply less work (at least it would seem) to modify whats there instead of buying a new tcase that might have tunnel clearance issues, driveshaft modifications, etc.

CanMan said:
The thread is almost 2 years old?

haha i love it when people bring back threads from forever ago. :D

Thats true...

They either get yelled at from bring a thread back or for starting a new one on the same topic hahahah.

Guess they should just know the answer. lol

Thats true...

They either get yelled at from bring a thread back or for starting a new one on the same topic hahahah.

Guess they should just know the answer. lol

haha the only way to stear clear of that is say, "I am aware this is an old thread."

:looney:

I would love to put in a 241 but to my knowledge there is no way to hook up the speedo cable in the earlier model xjs that has been converted to a 23 spin output shaft.

this is a good thread with good tech. I'm getting ready to swap in my 231 to flipped 300 and found this searching.

hey vetteboy. your pics on jeepin.net are gone. any chance you can fix the links to your pics?

Not really...the server they were hosted on has long since been disconnected.

Is there anything specific you're looking for?

Not really...the server they were hosted on has long since been disconnected.

Is there anything specific you're looking for?

shifter setup and crossmember.

I have a cable to the 231. I just need to build a shifter for it.

How are you shifting the 300?

and did you do a seperate crossmember for the 300 to accomodate the flatbelly. I've been through your thread a million times but can't seem to put it together in my head without pics.

Back