• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why do track bar relo brackets suck so badly?

Sort of semi-related, how feasible is it to replace the hardware on the frame-side bracket with newer and stronger nuts and bolts?

Personally, I don't think the bracket is the only problem. The unibody frame rail cracked & caused the problem on my '98 XJ. IMHO, the solution is probably a RE1665 track bar bracket & the RE1670 track bar bracket BRACE that crosses from the track bar bracket, under the motor, to the other frame rail on the passenger side.
RE1665 BRACE - XJ

I was asking because I bought the TNT track bar kit which includes their effin big bracket. The holes in that are large enough to handle 14mm bolts, but the parts catalog says the stock hardware is either 10mm or 12mm. I would like to upgrade if its possible, since the larger hardware ought to prevent the bracket moving around better

I have the beefy RE track bar bracket frame-side. Even with the 4 bolts as tight as I could get them, it was still moving around 1/4" and wreaking hell on my steering. Had a friend weld it straight to the frame on the side and bottom.

I had a bracket that came with my last xj when I got it. It would loosen up all the time and cause death wobble. Wielded it on and a few months later the wield broke and then the bolts came loose and my trac bar became disconnected. Only takes 1 time trying to turn without a trac bar in the city to get ya to change your mind. Was a heck of a surprise. I bought a used adjustable afterward to last me untill I could get the RE one with the new bracket. No looking back now lol. It's the only piece of RE stuff on my budget build for a reason, It's worth every penny.

PS mine is mostly a DD with some offroading so it sees mostly street.

So what I've gathered is that they really don't suck at all....so long as you can keep them tight or weld them in. I haven't heard anyone mention bump steer or any other nasty driving effects so long as it isn't loose. Doesn't sound so bad after all.

Guess I'll throw on the Skycrapper bracket and weld 'er on.....

Yes you will have bump steer and yes you will prematurely bind the pitman arm tre.Buy a "good" trackbar and be done with it!

I started out with a Skyjacker bracket and promptly removed it. By lowering the mounting point on the axle, you're changing the angle of the track bar, albeit slightly. The angle is not as close to parallel to the drag link as it was before, which will cause bump steer. As previosly mentioned, at static height with a tb relocation bracket, your tie rod end on the body is almost maxed out, which means every time you flex that passenger side at all it's going to trash the tie rod end on the body and make it loose. That looseness can translate into sloppy steering or death wobble. Simply re-drill the hole or get an adjustable track bar.

Back