• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who's actually run 33s, 4:11s, and an auto?

I have an auto and ran 33's with 4.10s for a couple of years. I run it at Tellico a couple times a year and a few other places and it is still my daily driver. I have never had need for lower gears. I've always been able to turn all four tires in low range.
I'm tired of the guys who like to play with their sticks try to tell guys with autos what gears they should run. They don't know. If you want to know what gears to run with an auto, listen to someone who has one.
With that said, I have no idea what works on dry clean rock. Haven't seen any in years. Good luck
mattk

mattk said:
I have an auto and ran 33's with 4.10s for a couple of years. I run it at Tellico a couple times a year and a few other places and it is still my daily driver. I have never had need for lower gears. I've always been able to turn all four tires in low range.
I'm tired of the guys who like to play with their sticks try to tell guys with autos what gears they should run. They don't know. If you want to know what gears to run with an auto, listen to someone who has one.
With that said, I have no idea what works on dry clean rock. Haven't seen any in years. Good luck
mattk

3.55s are much better. :laugh2:

Jes

mattk said:
mattk

Are you intimating that becuase one currently owns a manually shifted vehicle, they have no basis for referance to comment on the gearing needs of an automatic transmission-equipped vehicle?

CRASH

What I am saying is that if someone hasn't driven an auto equipped rig on the trail for a period of time, I would ignore his advice on the subject. This guy has already searched several threads on this forum and they are not clear. I think that is because a lot of guys are blowing smoke. :passgas: Some simple advice to listen to those who have more experience than opinion might help to clarify things. Besides his request was for those with "first hand experience"
Some on this forum (who only drive stick) have told me and others that our trannies will "burn up" using low gears. :BS: 101K miles so far and I'm not alone. It's sometimes hard to know who to listen to.
mattk

Last edited:
The problem is, there is a difference between "barely getting by" and "ideal".

I can guarantee you that I will make it through the Rubicon with 3.07's and 37's and an auto. I know it can be done.

Will it be enjoyable? No.
Will it make obstacles more difficult? No.
Is it good for your vehicle in the long run? No.
Will your friends heckle your wheel-spinning antics? Very likely.

CRASH

CRASH

I have none of those problems and I'm not just getting by. 4.10s may be just getting by with a stick but I wouldn't know.
mattk

I think I'm wheeling the wrong trails............they seem tough at 85 to 1 gearing!

CRASH

mattk said:
I have none of those problems and I'm not just getting by. 4.10s may be just getting by with a stick but I wouldn't know.
mattk
Where is Beezil?

I know he is gonna read this sooner or later.

Fergie

mattk said:
Besides his request was for those with "first hand experience"

OK My XJ is an auto and I ran 33's with 4.10 gears. I did it for about 2 months on my daily driver. I wheeled a few times during that time too. I hated it. The Jeep felt totally gutless on the freeway. Climbing any sort of grade required shifting out of overdrive. My gas mileage sucked too. Off-road was just as described above. Lots of wheel spin and torque convertor slipping. I quickly saved up the cash and installed some 4.56 gears and I love it. I got all the power back on the freeway and off-road I does make a difference. At least to me. Gas mileage still sucks, but is better. 4.56 was as low as I could go with the 8.25" diff, but I would have went lower if I could have.

Here is some first hand experience. Not a bunch of :rattle:

Bryan

Bryan C. said:
OK My XJ is an auto and I ran 33's with 4.10 gears. I did it for about 2 months on my daily driver. I wheeled a few times during that time too. I hated it. The Jeep felt totally gutless on the freeway. Climbing any sort of grade required shifting out of overdrive. My gas mileage sucked too. Off-road was just as described above. Lots of wheel spin and torque convertor slipping. I quickly saved up the cash and installed some 4.56 gears and I love it. I got all the power back on the freeway and off-road I does make a difference. At least to me. Gas mileage still sucks, but is better. 4.56 was as low as I could go with the 8.25" diff, but I would have went lower if I could have.

Here is some first hand experience. Not a bunch of :rattle:

Bryan
Thanks Bryan!
That's the kind of info I was looking for.
I think 32s will have to do, since my R&Ps are almost brand new. :repair:

Fergie said:
Where is Beezil?

I know he is gonna read this sooner or later.

Fergie

yeah, gearing posts used to be fun...it sets up an easily winnable debate with the "stock gears work for me" crowd.....

thing is, that crowd is stubborn to begin with, so why should I try to help those bark eaters regear their trucks correctly?

you can spend valuable web-wheeling time illustrating logic and mechanics to them, and they still don't get it...

they can go ahead and burn out their clutch packs or suffer driveline damage from not understanding torque load reduction for all I care.

a barkeater will always be a barkeater, no matter how much help you give em.

Beezil said:
yeah, gearing posts used to be fun...it sets up an easily winnable debate with the "stock gears work for me" crowd.....

thing is, that crowd is stubborn to begin with, so why should I try to help those bark eaters regear their trucks correctly?

you can spend valuable web-wheeling time illustrating logic and mechanics to them, and they still don't get it...

they can go ahead and burn out their clutch packs or suffer driveline damage from not understanding torque load reduction for all I care.

a barkeater will always be a barkeater, no matter how much help you give em.
And thats why I am regearing. #0s and 4.10s will be fun...might eventually go to 31s though. Who knows. All I know is that 3.55s are the best combo for 35" tires :)

Fergie

thats a joke, azxjman

Back