• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who uses a CB anyway?

Don't the off-road groups in the west require WORKING CB's in all vehicles on a ride?? It seems like everyone I have ridden with here in the midwest requires them.

Ours is on, when we are traveling the freeway, in a group of off-roaders or on the trail.

You get alot of places that cellphones are fancy battery operated garbage in your pocket.

I also have a dual band 2m/70cm in my Jeep, mostly to gab with other amateur off-roaders. Plus, in a pinch amateurs take a call for help with a lot higher degree of regard, than the CB/FRS crowd.

Main FRS problem is, trying to explain to people how to operate the CTCSS encoding.

BTW, I don't think I have ever had more than about a one minute converstation about antennas.

PS, If you are going to a hamfest TAKE A BATH!!!!

Do any of you guys know where to get a linear amplifier? When I ask the local Radio Shack guys all I get is the RCA dog stare. The few people that I’ve met that actually know what they are tell me that they are illegal and won’t say how/where to get one.

I also use mine while commuting. Its helpfull to find out where traffic tie-ups are located so I can take an alternate route.

RR3

Wiley Coyote said:
Do any of you guys know where to get a linear amplifier? When I ask the local Radio Shack guys all I get is the RCA dog stare. The few people that I’ve met that actually know what they are tell me that they are illegal and won’t say how/where to get one.

Find a local CB shop, usually near truck stops, and see what they have. I have just a Cobra 29 that was peaked and tuned in my T/T and it recieves upto 5 miles. I have a Cobra 18 in my XJ and it gets out about 10-15 miles. It's all about the antenna set up. If I ran a linear I could go farther.

Linears are only illegal if you use them outside the FCC regs.

ALL linear use on 11m or CB is ILLEGAL. There is the FCC reg for you in a nutshell.

The reason you get the blank look is that if they get caught selling, they are in a heap of trouble. If you get caught operating, the worst they can do is siezure of the equipment and a 10,000 dollar fine.

MuddyXJ, Are you are talking about having the antenna tuned? I haven’t done that yet, the local shops want $40. I’m thinking about just buying one of the meters (~$25) and doing it myself.

W_howey, I understand that its illegal to run more than 4 watts of power on CB channels, is that the jest of the law? How would I go about getting a linear amp for “educational” purposes only? Do you have to have a license or something or is there a place on the internet that will ship no questions asked. I did a search, but all I’m coming up with is general CB/Ham radio type shops. I didn’t see any product listings for “linear amplifiers”, is there another name for it?

Most CB amps, are created under pretense they are for 10m amateur radio operation. They are then modified to be used in the 11m band.

The FCC lately has been cracking down on Internet sellers of 'non - type accepted' radio gear. That includes all of the export radios, and linears.

You may want to look under some of their nicknames. Footwarmers, heaters, fire, and various others. Look to the CB at a local truckstop, or nearby. That will probably be your best sources.

Keep in mind, most of the CB amps out there, are horribly, horribly dirty RF wise. Meaning they make a ton of noise on frequenicies above and below the one you are operating on. That is what generally will get you in trouble. Any interference with a liscensed service, and complaints to the FCC get noticed.

Your neighbor's cordless phones, and TV's are not liscensed, so complaints go unoticed for a long time. But interference with Amateur operation on 10m, or worse any public service, and the complaints get listened to.

More than 4 watts output is not the gist of the law. It is the word of the law.

Spend the most many you can afford on your antenna, it is the most important part of the set-up.

Buy a good antenna first, and you don't have to replace it later.

Wilson antennas are the best, with K40 antennas second.

Tuning antennas is not difficult, but it takes a little skill to do correctly. A good meter is key, as you don't want flaky readings causing you to cut incorrectly.

Smaller amps tend to interfere less, not because of quality but because of less output. The main reason is that the frequency control in the amps is lacking. The CB-type amps are of a lower quality than amateur amp.

Putting in a low pass filter, between the antenna and the amp is one way to filter some interference. But if you are operating on the high side of CB channels, 35 -40 and you have someone close on the low end of the 10m band, chances are you are going to interfere some. The lower edge of the 10m band is 28 Mhz. Channel 40 on CB is 27.405 Mhz. Normally 595Khz is a large amount of bandwidth, but a noisy amp can kill alot more than that.

BTW, I saw several amps on Yahoo auctions today.

W_howey, Thanks for the info. So, I’m looking for a low power linear amp with a low pass filter under the pretense of using it for 10m band. What constitutes low power? I’m not trying to talk to some one on the moon, just looking for a little more range than “standard”.

P.S. I'll start looking for amps at Yahoo and ebay.

The filter will be seperate from the amp.

Low power would be 100 watts max. I saw a couple of 40w amps on Yahoo. Some export radios put out more than that though. You also have to pay attention to the input or 'drive' of an amp. Some amps can't take 4 watts input without damaging them. Most mobile CB's put out 4 watts out of the box.

Also you need to pay attention to the power rating of your antenna. A quality antenna will have the rating with the literature that comes with it.

If I remember Wilsons are at least 500 watts depending on model.

I don't think I can stress it enough though. BUY THE ABSOLUTELY BEST ANTENNA YOU CAN! A good antenna and less power does a better job than crappy antenna and tons of power.

first off, im a totaly newbie to all this. ive read through all the posts i can find about CB and HAM radios, but i still dont know the difference between the two or which one is better. if someone could explain that in simple terms that would be awsome.
thanks

poolespond said:
first off, im a totaly newbie to all this. ive read through all the posts i can find about CB and HAM radios, but i still dont know the difference between the two or which one is better. if someone could explain that in simple terms that would be awsome.
thanks

Anyone can get on the CB band and broadcast. HAM or amatuer requires a license to operate at any level. You used to have to know Morse code to get a license but you no longer need to for the Technician class license. The test seems to be fairly easy from what i have seen and there are only 35 questions! With the Technician lic., you can use what is known as the 2 Meter band. It is pretty much "line-of-sight" communications but there are tons of people on there to talk to. You can also make phone calls on the 2M band (long story, but get a book and you can read about it). The communications quality in equipment between CB and HAM is like night and day. The best CB gear I have seen pretty much sucks. If your a gadget type person HAM seems to be the way to go. There are clubs around that can help you pass any of the tests. They usually meet monthly. Most people I have met that are HAMS are really into it and I guess that is why they come across as being geeky. Most people I have met on the CB bands seem to be pricks or just regular truckers passing the time.

I have been studying for the Tech. test since I first started this thread and it seems rather interesting. The electronics might give you trouble but is do-able for the beginner. I have a degree in electronics and the tech lic. covers first semester stuff.

As far as CB, i think I will sell mine cheap as soon as I get my Technician License. I may just throw it out so no else is contributing to the crap on that band!

Some said something about Ham fests and taking a bath... If you have ever been to one you know what that means!

Go to www.arrl.org for more info on HAM radio

Burley

Burley did a pretty good job of explaining it.

Personally, I hate the term ham, when referring to an amateur radio operator.

Amateur radios now are no more complicated to get up and running than CB's. You can get them as fancy, with as many bells and whistles as you want or as simple as you want.

The Technician test is simple, I didn't take a class. I helped a friend study for his, and took a bunch of practice tests with him. Passed on my first try(Funny though, he didn't pass until the third try)

The statement that Tech amateur is 'line-of-sight' is somewhat incorrect. It depends on the mode operated(Sideband,FM,etc.). Technicians are allowed all types of modes. The radio bands they are restricted to though tend to yield shorter range communications. (Burley, read up on Moonbouncing).

Most commonly avalible CBs are pretty low quality. The higher end units, though can be pretty nice. Steer clear of 'modified' or export type radios. They transmit outside of US CB band, and are far more likely to get you in trouble.

Remember, Amateur radios and CB's are NOT interchangeable. They transmit and recieve on different frequencies. Amateur radio operators are expected to behave in a much different manner than CB's ops do.

As far as dumping my CB, I won't/can't do it. On the interstate is still provides the absolute best source of real-time traffic and weather. Not to mention, every single club or group organized trail ride I have been on in the Midwest requires an operating CB in the vehicle.

Another website that would interest you, they give practice tests online using actual test questions.

www.qrz.com

The ARRL provides a huge amount of information on getting started in Amateur radio, and all the different things you can do.

PS, I'm the one that mentioned the hamfests and baths. Once you go to one, it will be perfectly clear my meaning.

W_Howey, I was refering to the 2 Meter band as being line of sight. Is that accurate?

Well, yes and no. It depends on mode operated. FM will be line of sight.

The 2m or 144mhz band tends to yield shorter range communications. But, this is a big one. Most Technician E-M-E(moonbounce) takes place in the 2m band. They usually use Sideband and seriously directional antennas.

I had some more to this thought, but it has been a long night and the kids are running around this morning.

this question is a little off topic buth with people that i can tell know what they are talkin about. I have no knowledge on the ham but did just pick up a cheap cb off a friend and put it in my jeep. I bout a 20 dollar antenna from G.I. JOes, about 3 feet tall. How far is the range on it and is there a way to get better range with the stuff i have or cheap alternatives. And whats up with people spitttin there life storys on there. They talk so muchi cant interrupt and tell them to shut up. haha.

w_howey said:
I don't think I can stress it enough though. BUY THE ABSOLUTELY BEST ANTENNA YOU CAN! A good antenna and less power does a better job than crappy antenna and tons of power.

Right now I'm running a magnetic mount for the cb in my XJ and use it really only for the trail. Going to go to a side body or bumper mount on the rear passenger side. if I get into 2M will I run into interference with another antenna mounted on the rear driver's side? By interference I mean do I have to shut one off when I transmit on the other?

Thanks

dellstopjeep said:
this question is a little off topic buth with people that i can tell know what they are talkin about. I have no knowledge on the ham but did just pick up a cheap cb off a friend and put it in my jeep. I bout a 20 dollar antenna from G.I. JOes, about 3 feet tall. How far is the range on it and is there a way to get better range with the stuff i have or cheap alternatives.

Try to get at least 70% of the antenna above the highest point of the vehicle. Don't loop your coax, will affect reception. If you antenna is an adjustable one get a SWR meter (if CB doesn't have one built in) to adjust it. If not adjustable you will need to find the right length of coax/antenna combination. ( about 8 or 12 feet is average) Try not to use the clear plastic coated coax if it will be in sunlight. Try to keep it away from any other electrical devices like radios or amps.

If the CB can be peaked and tuned by a CB shop I would have it done. Average cost is $15 to do that. Don't be affraid to ask them questions. Best place to find a shop is near truck stops.

Just .02 from a million mile professional driver.

You would want 9 foot of coax, or a 12 foot, or an 18 foot piece. The subject of coax length, has to do with feed-line impedance at certain frequencies. The best recommendation is to use 18 foot. or a 9 foot piece.

Shutting off one radio to operate another, can be a sticky situation. There are a ton of factors to figure in. Antennas, coax(length and quality), particular brand of radios, amount of things done to a radio, position of antenna, and mounting type all factor in.

I run a completely stock, out of the box CB, attached to a roof mounted Wilson antenna. My dual-band rig is also out of the box, running to a hood cowl mounted Larsen antenna. I don't have any problems. Some times yo get some noise, if my wife is operating the CB and I am operating the dual-band at the same time. Not a very common occurence though.

Back