• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has the highest Miles on an OEM 4.0L...no head/cylinder work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The odomoeter says 244K on my 91 but i didn't swap the gears for awhile so im guessing closer to 260K.

I've overheated it over 15 times, run it out of oil a couple times on steep hills. Had the engine at operating temp then fell through the ice on a snow run and soaked the engine in ice water (thank god for snorkels). And i run it to 5K all the time. basically im not easy on it.

Thought it was done about 10K ago. Torque converter bolts backed out. made a hell of a rattle.

I did pull the head off and change the head gasket, (thought it was the cause of my overheating, it wasn't) and you could still read the casting numbers in the pistons.

BTW i have the AW4 too, never so much of a hiccup out of it either.

Dingo

I got a "low mileage" unit-1994 4dr, 4.0 211k on the clock, and about 50k on the engine-apparently the PO changed or had the engine rebuilt, at my pace I am on track to hit 300k on the engine in about 2 years-seem to drive this thing everywhere, and yes I wheel it too:D

Jeff

245,370 on my 88 that we bought new for our then young family...Kids are gone....still have the XJ...and wife...both abit worn... :)

Late bloomer here. '87 MJ clocking in at 147k, no rust, mint interior and I just moved to Maine. I can hear the salt crystals sharpening their fangs.

My bro has a competely stock 96 grand cherokee, which gets regular oil changes of store brand "allsorts" oil (blend whatever's in stock/cheapest) at every 15000 miles. It's currently got over 250k. It has low compression in one cylinder recently, and has a pesky misfire and CEL as a result. But it still passes California smog!

He also has a 94 land rover with 240k, but that now needs a head gasket.

The 99 Jeep in my driveway is at 124k, and I hope to get around 2.4 mil out of it. We'll see how it goes.

1995 4.0L / AX15 - 276K miles. No engine or tranny work. It even has the original clutch. Everything works. I've spent ~$1900 on maintenance since new. This jeep has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned; including Nissans & Toyotas.

spenom said:
I have a 92 with 365,000 Km on it with zero head/ cylinder work.

My 97 currently has 147K and sees only about 1500 miles per year... At that rate my engine should be good for about another 100 years.:laugh:

My 96 has 224,000 (rounded) on the meter, but about should have about 6000 more as I haven't changed the speedo gear yet (I know, I know). It leaks a little at the rear main, and I did replace the PS pump. Still has the original clutch. I've been running Amsoil with 12,500 mile oil changes, for the last 50,000 miles, and so far so good. I'm thinking I'll replace the radiator, hoses, belts, thermostat, and water pump this fall.

Last edited:
Just picked up a 98' w/ 266K and it purrs like a kitten. Hell I say it runs smoother than my old 95' w/ only 25K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back