• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which motor mounts?

Good info.. Thanks guys

To be fair I think any and all mounts wear and can be destroyed with time and abuse. Appreciate the insights though. Just like repeated launches in my subi tore up some high end ones eventually too

Still wondering what the difference in BDs 2 offerings is- not counting the longer or full kit varieties

The Brown Dogs are available in either stock or with a 1" lift.
Can't say I have ever heard of anyone lifting their XJ's engine, previously only seeing this done in Wranglers .

I ran the rubber-bushed BDs for over year and finally my wife told me to fix the 'noise'.
No matter how much the mounts were adjusted, the noise and vibrations were very annoying in a DD. This wouldn't be an problem in a rig primarily used off road.
I took a different route and installed hybrid stock mounts. A liquid polyurethane was used to fill the voids in the stock engine mounts, resulting in mounts that limits how much engine moves while not transmitting a lot of noise .
After 10,000 miles of mixed use, no issues.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157666925359378/

I run Ironman4x4fab on both the MJ and the XJ. He I believe has both poly and rubber bushings for his mounts. I've been very please with the quality of his all USA made parts.

Well id say with the options on the table there are definitely pros and cons... Even if only in price.

Having ran MORE whyd you switch? Any Stinky vs MORE comparisons?

A con about BD, from what I've read, is since they are "tighter" then stock you feel the engine vibes- not a big deal for me.

A con for MORE is they are nearly double the price.

While personal preference definitely comes into account- thats exactly why I made this thread... As to WHY that preference. I'd argue OEM "work"... But some cons to longevity and strength.

Just curious who likes what and why.

Still wondering what the difference in BDs 2 offerings is- not counting the longer or full kit varieties

I ran MORE on a Jeep I no longer own. At the time I put those on they were the only game in town.

Stinkyfab was cheaper and I wanted to try the new poly bushings

I took a different route and installed hybrid stock mounts. A liquid polyurethane was used to fill the voids in the stock engine mounts, resulting in mounts that limits how much engine moves while not transmitting a lot of noise .
After 10,000 miles of mixed use, no issues.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157666925359378/

Been looking into this — I’m going to try it just not sure which product to use

In your pictures you show the box of the product used — unfortunately there’s no part number

Which durometer urethane did you decide to use?
Did you buy from McMaster or did you find another source?

Been looking into this — I’m going to try it just not sure which product to use
In your pictures you show the box of the product used — unfortunately there’s no part number
Which durometer urethane did you decide to use?
Did you buy from McMaster or did you find another source?

The web address on my Flickr site had changed since last year and has been updated .
The kit came from McMaster-Carr and contains about a pint of mix, enough to do at least two motor mounts, possibly more.
I used a grade 40A semi-soft polyurethane. I would consider the 20 grade, if doing it again.
https://www.mcmaster.com/8644k53
I found the instructions on pouring the bushings here, follow exactly or the liquid polyurethane will leak out before it cures.
https://www.suspension.com/blog/do-it-yourself-liquid-urethane-motor-mount-replacement-inserts/

Interesting.. I love the dyi- but all that work and still having the flimsy stock mounts?

https://mountainoffroad.com/collections/cherokee-xj/products/bomb-proof-motor-mount-kit-yj-tj-lj-xj

Any of the other SF,BD,or even m.o.r.e. other mounts are practically the exact same.
SF I've heard has a poly bushing similar in durometer to rubber
BD offers both rubber or poly

More has a mount like the others, then there is the type in the link.
Ide be willing to bet most aftermarket performance mounts are the same performance. It's a cloned design with whatever bushing the company sticks into it, then plated or painted. Performance mounts will transmit vibes Far more than stock.

Vibe dampening however I doubt anyone beats what I've linked. More dampening medium is probably going to make a difference.

I would say choose price or performance and purchase accordingly.

Just My 2 centz

Last edited:
Interesting.. I love the dyi- but all that work and still having the flimsy stock mounts?

The flimsy stock mounts in the XJ I’m working on lasted 136,000 miles — if I can make a $9 Mount last half that then I’ll be very satisfied

By filling the void around the rubber in the stock mount it should make them a little more “performance” too

Im not so bashing it.. I think its a cool idea!

If people are ripping off beefy mounts- i'd just be hesitant to use the stock thin stuff.. Maybe reinforce it somehow- but then that all depends on the use. Light trails and pavement id probably do the same to some stockers.

Some heat shielding around the driver side mount might help.

The flimsy stock mounts in the XJ I’m working on lasted 136,000 miles — if I can make a $9 Mount last half that then I’ll be very satisfied
By filling the void around the rubber in the stock mount it should make them a little more “performance” too

I was looking for a mount that was stiffer and had less movement than the stock mounts will retaining most of the noise damping. I feel it is stronger than a stock mount being solid, there is less movement to tear the rubber bushings apart.

Not all XJs are used the same, our 2001 XJ is not a dedicated rock crawler, instead it is an all-purpose vehicle that is pulled behind our motorhome, that sees city and highway driving, as well at 4X4 trails.
You will never see it running the Hammers in Johnson Valley but it has crossed the high altitude passes in Colorado more than once.
Somedays, we drive 200 miles or more and want a comfortable, reasonably quiet ride. Lining the interior in Dynamat was an attempt to quiet things downs, the BD mounts added much more noise than the mat reduced. I seriously doubt that other after-market mounts will be significantly quieter.
Different needs for different folks.

Just some food for thought on the OEM mounts:

When I put on my MORE mounts I had just come off of a set of OEM ones that were installed, lasted a couple months on the road and were then trashed after 3 days of light-to-moderate low-speed wheeling (no jumps or real fast stuff) on 2 inches lift, 30x9.50 tires, and no lockers.

The MORE ones were a little stiff for the first day or two, but once they settled in they feel like they haven't changed in those 13 years.

Last edited:
I used brown dog rubber 10 years ago, held up fine. Upgraded to full engine plates so I went with SFR to match the transmission mount.

Vibrations seem the same to me, maybe a little less but the brown dogs bushings were wore out.

I think the SFR look like a more refined product. Only negative on the SFR was there were a few spots that weren't clean for the ZINC coating that were already rusting when I go them. Not a huge deal, I dabbed some paint on them.

9ZmasisJLNn8m9q00j7d-5gRXNlYQhhqSgUoD6fv0_wDd3bMCz16UrVNEkZWTa0lTmZuAwX9swPGWEf9rJ_3llUjhD7QxCF4crJdGJ3D96J9cPmyluZxGjsPmM-zxLJj2X3psMxPCCAZ9VvxXJz6sz-_s26nTqHwdFdcGVP6IQFpC9MFpNh9iwkQ4xu1jYL7qNpwoCkZguiuHcJ5iSNpOFHS5fB2XNNiDunvsZS-58WkOldnjZWNAzHIRjJOuJCL7Eir0QevhmgYRYDAKhQpdxSHivgl3axMji-mcXxe8DjSktcV6iv4lxqEauBbzrM0TYV4VDEvoAyrJrYZDGndn6leu5rKiAoHqsA5a-TbEaGnTv97qI7Z9H6-Ljdzn7CDEzJYaIoPZgtR35QFQ-rkFKq89qKCAbRInIBdg-JQL0qGIhtYuHf5hrLPZaoiop9eWMfBfu0EgRoq5hGjjS1jvSY2gc1d8F2UtEyP9z1q2gLBceKpAr12eWD-eCGfvgf13QNf7UHIxSy4D39oiJ3ij7cLtvVc-PlI-pMnwAdgCy7zcwXEqNd8u_V-QtfZTxEm7-v5d5Uhd1-8CLJLkdBxr9M5m8ev0iao0pABcPmTsgdgsf8_YFRrlxpLSuGpPIqvt-WH2oRyqDdS1sdoaF7C5b2n4W5bJvy_=w679-h904-no

w70eY1cVRkRnrDkX0fHwUX-zoaQc87dyh05PUEyTY8dA_P3jitg4rE9HV6JzRQoQbXTFbv95blWbVa_mrkN0YhLXKVqDHsGbuYaZ--NEkJqj__YqkARdowlfEf2p9Lt46gtq-MxcT0YHGnmJnLo7bpgap5oqjjZaNTfQfK_g-s7yCHJklVHTsNZ35GW-LDcqkEfw309oLI9b27iHaU5ZmKy_x6JVx36FqSRZxIo3qy2KPpQlvNNp89ddgCb_5hL0IRbRud5QMLbSMPZC1jyQu6ySCnhbCkJKMx-yB5ooWm7gLoH1xGal-BYIz3pzToGVdfPDqRN2jc0fS3eIm-FZ88Mc7513nd3Cw7PD0pQ0Zxy1jhJVfRb7r5jm7OluSVuBYmWgCLSKQve0H8fNE9HoOHH232zKFOL_vMIpbAq2yUXdQR-R6_YTZQahKbjh1K7e8w-I6djKwJ-GvrXnsA54D-SWf3UPg0DqhVp40VsOJ9cur0eT4cUuld56C85k3oUn0v9juaL6MLc0htjzsQV327BgraG216K0iBN3HKkWZFvTTeWmyPP2xPRpkNNmOMQjkH0DrMS0oHVLd2dxm_XLXuc3pW_7TEx-Akl00nUHi8au362ojEKbB-xkvraeb8AApFGFc9l1ksQJ0wrXnDpTXK7yLvyLcYg_=w679-h904-no

ASw6bGTgD8HpeMLZA0DxlwP5JG_QTALNCnawHD6DRZBB30FdjJk3Qx9PfneWjiZsoyVyfgTTV07p_Xo--T7ZU1yHTFCp9YdB8rTmtyIYiSbRa0UPTwVkazwlgo91uZc7DaPImtrR6RplY64tKSAcAIywyYXGF4x0cwixfkRqehvcqZ9eU4p82qaFYoQrZwzFTEeTfVFXA0XtU3XtcJDIZHiXnMhI21c9JLrt8jVSWdW3sl0e10sJsqvo0nEo3HWQDdp4x_Y6EaH5dAwIKeO_YqZfwrI3dNDsEEvRih8eIMY2QLYNFx8CrpGUlUg-bMih_Y-rpdXFSYnssonzqbd-0jJnns8x9362DFiB350l4SS6FE3EvJspYVExZm7TQhu3dTK4jilUGrZOZ2v9zI7d4Vo6kHBgCMMF6Q7ueAxmZ4q79Rj2Nvnfwxew6Cm3pFAzJEepv4IDiv81KldOXfNZ33aDgHXdjf6uT8YVe5Xy1aYcarrcJvpg9tDlL4PyL9naXAkW3Fm8VMlDXUU3Seq1pyDcI1TCU5sWlkFDRG4iJooTvkDnppbHaFnvLLalER6tQufRQ8JknMJFC8QutsST8cI7jQldRfHsxjjYdr8Hpo7-UDVfloF_w25UVFQY6OUhj0WkH5arha4lnDrrrFGLec7mqUR3zkOM=w1205-h904-no

Pics no worky

Mount vs mount both are similar save the compound of the poly... The brackets speak for themselves. Thanks for sharing!

Back