• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which locker should I get?

Mike you couldn't have posted this at a better time. I'll probably be in the market for a front traction aid this year and in a similar situation as you.

Okay, Powertrax has TWO lockers. The Powertrax Lock-Right and the Powertrax No-Slip. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. With that said, I've had a No-Slip in my D30 for several years with no issues at all. And I do believe that it is worth a few more bucks over the Lock-Right or Aussie.

But Mike, if I were to get a new front locker, I would go for the Ected, and then the OX.

Damn n00b.

bj-666 said:
i have arb and ected love the arb and the ected ehhh not so much. you can search for some of my posts about the ected but basicly it isn't a full locker it just pushes clutch packs together really hard, good for most but if you say your running hammers you'll prob get it to slip. mine has been back to auburn twice and i can still get it to slip.

Oh, I don't need to search, I've read them as you were going through the issues. Because that locker was on the top of my list. But you and Andy S are making it go down on my list :(. Josh has made it go up, haha.

Last edited:
Goatman said:
Mike, if you have the money for the selectable you'll probably regret not getting it. However, if money is an issue, plenty of folks are driving around with non-selectable front lockers with nothing other than minor clicking now and then.........you'll never feel it.

There is always the possibility for problems with a selectable, either cable adjustments with the OX or air issues with the ARB. Don't know much about the Ected.

What is your comfort level for an occasional problem, verses your very slight possible annoyance with somewhat slight front end noise?

VERY good point Richard. That's another a point for a non-selectable on the locker score card. I didn't really think of it that way. Honestly, I have a lot of noises already, it's a 19 year old vehicle that has been wheeled hard, and I don't mind them too much at all. As long as it's still working, what do I care. I do mind when siht don't work.

Which has got me thinking, maybe it wouldn't be so bad to do an Aussie. Worst scenario: I hate not being to turn it off and the noises. I can always sell it and get a selectable later. I wouldn't be that much into it.

EliasJ123 said:
Mike,

Your thread was TOO LONG.. I stopped reading your post after the 4th line.. :gag: lol

Anywho.. I would like to get a selectable up front too. ECTED and OX are on top of my list.

I'm going to steer away from ARB. I never ran them, but I've been on the trail with enough guys who had problems with ARB. I'm not bashing them at all. I know other guys who have run them forever without any problems..

BTW - Don't let Rick talk to you like that... :twak:

E

Yeah, I was trying to cover all basis. Usually if someone posts "What locker is the best?" you get a million people responding with questions to the poster like "how often do you wheel? what type of terrain are you gonna be doing? is it a daily driver? how much you want to spend?" I just fielded those into one gigantic post. :D

Pretty divided, as usual. Some say ected blows, some say ected is great. Some say go ARB, some say stay away.

Maybe I should start a poll? That might be interesting. Let's get the contenders before I do it.

Ected
OX
ARB
Full Detroit
Aussie
No-Slip
Lock-Right
Lincoln

Am missing any? They don't make the electrac anymore do they?

I'll throw in my 2 pennies.

I run lunchbox lockers front and rear. I couldn't be happier, they do exactly what they're supposed to do. I do DD my XJ. Aussie in the rear, LockRight up front.

I will never own an ARB. Everyone I know that does run them has problems with them. Usually an air leak, their compressor is on the fritz or something else. Seems like they're always fighting them.

As for selectable lockers, I think OX is the way to go. I've not had any personal experience with them but I really like the simplicity. Not much to go wrong with them. No compressor, no air lines. I have heard they are a PIA to get set up but, once they're set up, you're good to go.

I've been running my OX lockers for about two years now and have NEVER had a problem with the cables or had to readjust anything. If you set them up right the first time you'll be good to go.
I did however have a problem of some of the bolts backing out, but I took care of that with a few tack welds.
If I were to buy another locker for a DD that gets used on the hammers it would be another OX. ARB/POS would probably be second even though I really don't like them.
If you plan on driving alot in the snow or ice I would stay away from auto lockers.

For the front axle of a rig having no lockout hubs that will spend any time at all on pavement, I would say a selectable locker is mandatory. But that's just me talking.

Heed the words of SanDiegoXJ. The ARBs are positively addicting for their ability to instantly switch between truly open and truly locked. But that flexibility does come at a price. Like SanDiego, I've watched for years as nearly everyone I know that runs ARBs brags about how great they are -- usually while we're on the side of the trail waiting for them to fix the damned things again.

And now, I've become one of "them". Despite being satisfied for years with Detroit Lockers front and rear in my CJ (with lockout hubs), I took the plunge with ARBs in my XJ. For the first two years they performed flawlessly, and I have become a true believer.

But two weeks ago in Las Cruces, just before the final ledges on Cayenne Crawler, the front airline somehow got cut by the front driveshaft u-joint. Looking at the installation, you'd say it's impossible for it to get close enough, but that sure looks like what happened. In any event, there I was preparing to have a go at the toughest obstacle on the trail with just a rear locker. After several valiant attempts (and a prodigious use of the right foot), I got close, but no cigar. I finally had to take a cable. :rattle:

I now have the airline repair kit on order, and bought a spare to keep in the Jeep for next time. And i bought a spare solenoid. "Those guys" are always complaining of a bad solenoid. Whatever.

I still love my ARBs -- because MOST of the time they work fine. And when they work, they REALLY work. So next time it will be ME on the side of the trail bragging about my ARBs while I attempt to fix them...

How did I suddenly become "one of those guys"? :wierd:

raneil said:
For the front axle of a rig having no lockout hubs that will spend any time at all on pavement, I would say a selectable locker is mandatory. But that's just me talking.

Heed the words of SanDiegoXJ. The ARBs are positively addicting for their ability to instantly switch between truly open and truly locked. But that flexibility does come at a price. Like SanDiego, I've watched for years as nearly everyone I know that runs ARBs brags about how great they are -- usually while we're on the side of the trail waiting for them to fix the damned things again.

And now, I've become one of "them". Despite being satisfied for years with Detroit Lockers front and rear in my CJ (with lockout hubs), I took the plunge with ARBs in my XJ. For the first two years they performed flawlessly, and I have become a true believer.

But two weeks ago in Las Cruces, just before the final ledges on Cayenne Crawler, the front airline somehow got cut by the front driveshaft u-joint. Looking at the installation, you'd say it's impossible for it to get close enough, but that sure looks like what happened. In any event, there I was preparing to have a go at the toughest obstacle on the trail with just a rear locker. After several valiant attempts (and a prodigious use of the right foot), I got close, but no cigar. I finally had to take a cable. :rattle:

I now have the airline repair kit on order, and bought a spare to keep in the Jeep for next time. And i bought a spare solenoid. "Those guys" are always complaining of a bad solenoid. Whatever.

I still love my ARBs -- because MOST of the time they work fine. And when they work, they REALLY work. So next time it will be ME on the side of the trail bragging about my ARBs while I attempt to fix them...

How did I suddenly become "one of those guys"? :wierd:

Great response man! Thanks. Yeah, without lockout hubs, or a vacuum disconnect, I'm thinking a locker will just aid to my already crappy on-road ride. But 229 for an Aussie is still pretty hard to pass up. It's almost worth trying it out first for a year and if I don't like it, I'll have one in the for sale section.

mikedashg said:
Pretty divided, as usual. Some say ected blows, some say ected is great. Some say go ARB, some say stay away.

Maybe I should start a poll? That might be interesting. Let's get the contenders before I do it.

Ected
OX
ARB
Full Detroit
Aussie
No-Slip
Lock-Right
Lincoln

Am missing any? They don't make the electrac anymore do they?

OK, nobody said I was missing any, so I started two polls, this might interesting. One poll is which one should I get, and one poll is what do you HAVE? Probably going to be pretty close, but I know Andy S would vote he has an Ected, and would vote on something else :D.

which locker should I get?
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=945893

what do you have?
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=945894

mikedashg said:
Great response man! Thanks. Yeah, without lockout hubs, or a vacuum disconnect, I'm thinking a locker will just aid to my already crappy on-road ride. But 229 for an Aussie is still pretty hard to pass up. It's almost worth trying it out first for a year and if I don't like it, I'll have one in the for sale section.

Very true, but make no mistake about it: it's more than just your on-road ride that will be affected by this decision. Being able to run completely open will significantly improve your turning radius on- AND off-road. It's one of the most often-overlooked advantages of a selectable locker. With both ARBs disengaged, it's amazing how much more maneuverable my XJ is in tight spots. If I lock up both ends at the same time, it's like trying to turn the Titanic -- and it's harder on your front axle u-joints.

Yes, I was cussing like an old sailor when when my front ARB suddenly went offline at the most inconvenient moment, but don't think for a minute that I'm seriously contemplating replacing them. No way. It's like a drug. I just need to get all my excuses (and repair parts!) prepared before my next 2-locker outing.

Best of luck. Whatever you decide, enjoy!

raneil said:
Very true, but make no mistake about it: it's more than just your on-road ride that will be affected by this decision. Being able to run completely open will significantly improve your turning radius on- AND off-road. It's one of the most often-overlooked advantages of a selectable locker. With both ARBs disengaged, it's amazing how much more maneuverable my XJ is in tight spots. If I lock up both ends at the same time, it's like trying to turn the Titanic -- and it's harder on your front axle u-joints.
The difference being that in the front axle, an auto locker like a lunchbox will "unlock" very easily in 2wd, so your turning radius isn't affected at all. If I understand correctly, an engaged ARB acts like a spool, while a lunchbox still allows differentiation.

Yeah, I don't buy the whole "on road turning radius" argument. My turning radius has not been affected by my front No-Slip. I can mall crawl with the best of 'em.

Of course, once 4WD is engaged offroad, there is a slight decrease in turning radius. But that holds true for just about any locker, doesn't it?

While a front automatic locker is not truly "invisible" in 2WD, I barely notice mine at all.

MikeG, try to find someone local with a front Aussie and test drive their Jeep to see how you like it. Or you can drive my Jeep next time I see you.

I have Powertrax up front. The problem I have had is if you get on the brakes hard on a slippery road and push the clutch in it tends to eat u-joints.

Mike the auto lockers are fine on the street but off road when in 4 wheel drive they bind up under load and can affect turning radius. That is unless you switch back to 2 wheel drive, but who wants to do that when trying to tackle a hard obstacle? Many run them without complaints but I like to be able to turn as tight as possible. You might be fine with it....

I have ARB's in mine, but I just installed 4 Tru-Tracks in 2 Jeeps (my boss and a friend). After wheeling my buddy's Jeep, the Tru-Tracks are amazing. We have a lot of snow up here and he has an advantage over me because he has the tracion all of the time, while I only have it when I'm locked. I hesitate to lock in unless I'm off-road, so, he's got ,me beat there. Also, they were 1/2 the price of the ARB's. We went wheeling on Saturday and he went everywhere I went and never slipped a tire. They did great.

Don't get me wrong, I love my ARB's, but for the price and the incredible performance, I would probably go that way if I was to do it again.

Daedalus454 said:
The difference being that in the front axle, an auto locker like a lunchbox will "unlock" very easily in 2wd, so your turning radius isn't affected at all. If I understand correctly, an engaged ARB acts like a spool, while a lunchbox still allows differentiation.

That's correct. On the street, in 2WD, an automatic locker in the front can be nearly invisible. Especially if you unlock your hubs. :laugh3:

However as pointed out by corbinafly, this works better on the street than it does in the dirt. When you're really "working it", an automatic locker can get in a bind, and can stubbornly refuse to "unlock" until the load is relieved. At that point, your turning ability is somewhat compromised. No, it's not the end of the world, but it's not insignificant, either.

Each system has its own advantages and disadvantages, and for every installation, the owner simply needs to be aware of the various tradeoffs and make their decision accordingly. I'm not taking the Detroits out of my CJ, and I'm not taking the ARBs out of my XJ. For each rig, I'm satisfied with the balance that's been struck.

raneil said:
However as pointed out by corbinafly, this works better on the street than it does in the dirt. When you're really "working it", an automatic locker can get in a bind, and can stubbornly refuse to "unlock" until the load is relieved. At that point, your turning ability is somewhat compromised.

Obviously you're happy with your setup, and are not a fan of autolockers, but I'm curious to what degree this negative effect is being exaggerated. Can anyone with first hand experience comment on how noticeable it really is, and how much you feel it limits your ability to navigate obstacles.

Last edited:
Back