• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which gearing for 33s with best MPG

4:10's , 33's on 15x8 steelies. 16.4mpg avg in town DD. Narrow tires help the MPG. 2001 XJ , Warn front bumper and winch, factory rear bumper.

Here are the combinations I've tried on my '93 XJ. When I got up to 33's I started running mud tires vs. previous all-terrains which probably affected mileage slightly as well.
4.0 AW4 3.55's 29's = stock, no issues, 16mpg
4.0 AW4 4.10's 29's = lots of power, lots of fun, 16-17 mpg
4.0 AX-15 3.07's 29's = stock, lots of power & acceleration, 16-18 mpg
4.0 AX-15 3.07's 31's = sucky sucky slow, riding the clutch to start, better hwy mileage, worse in town
4.0 AX-15 4.10's 31's = fun to drive, 15.5mpg around town, 16mpg hwy
4.0 AX-15 4.10's 33's = pretty good around town, at times wished for slightly deeper gears or at least a deeper first gear, good on the highway 15-17 mpg
4.0 AX-15 4.88's 33's = lots of fun around town up to 65mph, 14-15 mpg town, 15mpg hwy

Necroposting but I just got enough cash and am about to regear. I got BFG ATs which measure out around 32 actually, Im going to be doing lots of highway driving with college. Would 4.11s or 4.56s be better for getting the best MPG and better on the drivetrain?

Thanks

4.56... thats what i have and i wouldnt go any other way for a dual purpose setup

4.56... thats what i have and i wouldnt go any other way for a dual purpose setup

Have you ever ran the same combo with 4.88's?

If not, how do you know you wouldn't like 4.88's?

I run the 4.88/AW4/33's combo. I DD it and love it. Check Cal's post above.

from the info i've read on this forum and others running 4.88s is assinine. 4.88s are the highest you can go with case that is already weak. If he stays with the LP D30 i'd use 4.10s max with 33s. I have run 4.10s with 33s for 11 years and have had great performance on and off road.

i put these gears in at 150k miles and i have250k now.
oh specs on my jeep: '89 Xj 4.0L
5spd
6"lift
4.10 gears in open D30/D35
33x12.50 BFG KM1s

running this has kept my speedo the same as stock and the only thing reason i'd go higher would be to boost offroad performance. The higher gears would be nice crawling with the 5spd.

I have run 4.10s with 33s for 11 years and have had great performance on and off road.

...but, have you ran anything deeper than 4.10's? All of these guys saying that 4.10's or 4.56's are the way to go have not ever drove anything deeper!
How can you make that claim if you've never experienced anything else?

I've experienced them all! 4.88's are hands down the way to go with 33's and an AW4. Personally, my absolute favorite was 30's/AW4/4.10's.

from the info i've read on this forum and others running 4.88s is assinine. 4.88s are the highest you can go with case that is already weak. If he stays with the LP D30 i'd use 4.10s max with 33s. I have run 4.10s with 33s for 11 years and have had great performance on and off road.

Your argument is made pretty invalid by the fact that as many or more 4.56 gearsets break as 4.88 gearsets.

And I'm sure the 4.10 performance seems great, but run proper gears for a while and then try going -back- to 4.10's..

I remember the day I took the p235/75/15's off of my first 4x4 and put 31x10.5's on .. i thought to myself those tires were HUGE and I would never need or want anything bigger... that rig still has 31's on it.

Does that make your 33's assinine?

Your argument is made pretty invalid by the fact that as many or more 4.56 gearsets break as 4.88 gearsets.

And I'm sure the 4.10 performance seems great, but run proper gears for a while and then try going -back- to 4.10's..

I remember the day I took the p235/75/15's off of my first 4x4 and put 31x10.5's on .. i thought to myself those tires were HUGE and I would never need or want anything bigger... that rig still has 31's on it.

Does that make your 33's assinine?

I'm not sure i understand your arguement against mine. i was merly stating the fact that with a LP D30 you are scarificing alot of strength w/o a Hp D30. Also going to the max on a case that is already weak is asking for trouble with a DD that you have to rely on. i wouldn't go with anything more than a 4.10gear set. now i havn't run anything higher yet and my next project will have 4.56s or 4.88s not sure yet, but i will be running D44s. And if you read it the way i did when i wrote it i didn't call 33s assinine...

Have you ever ran the same combo with 4.88's?

If not, how do you know you wouldn't like 4.88's?

I run the 4.88/AW4/33's combo. I DD it and love it. Check Cal's post above.

all of you are right about me. i have not gone any deeper than 4.56, and i beleive i would like 4.88s for driving around town and smaller back roads for the most part and i would definatly like them for wheeling... who wouldnt like deeper gears for wheeling... BUT... the speed limits around me are 70mph... and as it is when i am going between 70-75mph my RPMs are 2800-3000, and that is exactly where i like it. and since i have to drive on highways to get anywhere I would not want to go any deeper. what Cal said and what you are saying can be very true for other situations and circumstances.

The person asked, and i answered with my personal opinion which i took from my personal usage. i have driven a XJ with 4.10's and that was definately not as good as 4.56.

isnt there a sticky about this?

i think my main issue with going higher than the 4.56s is tendency of the LP D30 case to flex under tourque and break. like i said before it may be a personal prefrence on where you like your RPMs at speed, but i've done a ton of driving in a bunch of different vehicles from my '89 XJ on 33s, '93 XJ on 30s(3.57s), '87 MJ on tall stock(3.57), to '08 F250 7.3L super crew. it seems to me with my experence that between 2000-2500 RPM is the sweet spot for most of the vehicles i have driven except the F250 which was arond 1300. i would have to agree at least about 90% to the chart, but you got to also factor in personal driving habits as well as where you drive(freeway or city). IMO 4.10s worked the best form me when i was about 50/50 city/freeway driving in my jeep as a DD. :conceited

So what gears do i use for 33s? im in the damn mountains in VT and do a lot of back road and intown driving, along with 55mph trips to other areas, the highways around here are limited to mostly 50mph so i cant drive at the sweetspot of 65 except for a few areas. I need to decide between 4.56 and 4.88s I read these posts and i just get confused on whats better for me. HIGH ELEVATION.

If you're in the hills and typically don't go over 65mph, do the 4.88's.

running this has kept my speedo the same as stock and the only thing reason i'd go higher would be to boost offroad performance. The higher gears would be nice crawling with the 5spd.
Big thing that may change your experience as compares to an AW4 is that you have a 5 spd. You're gearing decisions will be different from ours. You came with 3.07s stock as compared to our 3.55s. A 4.10/4.11 for you is probably pretty similar to a 4.56 to those of us running the AW4.

I'm not sure i understand your arguement against mine. i was merly stating the fact that with a LP D30 you are scarificing alot of strength w/o a Hp D30. Also going to the max on a case that is already weak is asking for trouble with a DD that you have to rely on. i wouldn't go with anything more than a 4.10gear set. now i havn't run anything higher yet and my next project will have 4.56s or 4.88s not sure yet, but i will be running D44s. And if you read it the way i did when i wrote it i didn't call 33s assinine...
He was applying the logic from your post that 4.88s are asinine because you see no need for them to tire size...his first 4x4 is still on 31s, therefore obviously anything above that is asinine...:)
isnt there a sticky about this?
Yes there is
So what gears do i use for 33s? im in the damn mountains in VT and do a lot of back road and intown driving, along with 55mph trips to other areas, the highways around here are limited to mostly 50mph so i cant drive at the sweetspot of 65 except for a few areas. I need to decide between 4.56 and 4.88s I read these posts and i just get confused on whats better for me. HIGH ELEVATION.
Here's lots of info on gearing:
First click the Axle swaps and Gearing thread at the top of Mod Tech - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80707
Then click the Gearing Decisions thread inside of that one - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46901&highlight=gearing

I will be running 4.88s with my 33s as soon as I get together the money to install the set I have for my D30.

I ran 4.88s and 33s. Great around town, meh on the highway as I couldn't comfortable cruise faster than 65.

4.88s and 35s are perfect, I can cruise at 70 mph at 2500 rpms while rarely downshifting on hills.

I won't get into the HP vs. LP debate or the 4.88s in a D30 debate.

I agree that 4.56 or 4.88's are ideal for a daily driver, but 4.10's are OK. I went with 4.10 because I picked up a LS 4.10 Exploder axle for the rear of mine and was able to get an already geared 4.10 HP30 for the front and have money for a locker in it. For me the gear choice was a practical matter of overall cost. It works well as a DD in the SF Bay Area and though not ideal off road it definitely works. Many of us need to look at our budget and make an educated choice, SEARCH and think through what you read, don't make a quick decision that will cost you a mint if you can't afford the mint! The main thing we all want is a usable and reliable truck that we feel good about.

Here are the combinations I've tried on my '93 XJ. When I got up to 33's I started running mud tires vs. previous all-terrains which probably affected mileage slightly as well.
4.0 AW4 3.55's 29's = stock, no issues, 16mpg
4.0 AW4 4.10's 29's = lots of power, lots of fun, 16-17 mpg
4.0 AX-15 3.07's 29's = stock, lots of power & acceleration, 16-18 mpg
4.0 AX-15 3.07's 31's = sucky sucky slow, riding the clutch to start, better hwy mileage, worse in town
4.0 AX-15 4.10's 31's = fun to drive, 15.5mpg around town, 16mpg hwy
4.0 AX-15 4.10's 33's = pretty good around town, at times wished for slightly deeper gears or at least a deeper first gear, good on the highway 15-17 mpg
4.0 AX-15 4.88's 33's = lots of fun around town up to 65mph, 14-15 mpg town, 15mpg hwy
I'll add one more to my list now cause I changed stuff again:
4.0 AX-15 3.55's 33's = OK around town, plenty of power for the hills and starting out still, gas mileage for the first tank was 16.4mpg. Took it on some dirt roads camping and it was ok, but it would suck for technical rock-crawling.

Back