• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which exhaust is the best w/o going broke?

metrohick

NAXJA Forum User
I have to do two exhausts on my XJ's... One is lifted 6" LA's etc and needs exhaust asap. The other one is used for plowing and trail fun too; just not built up with a sickness like the others - YET

Anyways, I did dual Flow Masters on my CJ w/4.0 head and I really like that sound.

I can go get acustom set bent and welded for like 400 w/o replacing the cat.

I gotta do the cat on the lifted one and I'm not sure if a high flow cat is worth it or not...

*** DELETED ***

So, in you r opinions of these I know Turbo's sound good but they're weak if they get hit etc.

Bolt on kits:
Gibson
Magnaflow
Borla
MBRP
Dynomax

I'd like to hear what you guys like under the XJ's

Thanks

(You didn't mention whether or not you'd reinstalled the cats, and it's not worthwhile to guess. Besides, we have enough trouble with the Greenies as it is, we really shouldn't talk about that overmuch - unless it can be shown that you had a significant positive net emissions effect in doing so.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't count out Spintech.

I think you should put the cats back on your CJ, as its illegal and puts a hinder on an already looked down upon hobby...just saying.

I don't run a muffler, just straight pipe from the cat back. Gives a nice deep throaty gurgle to it; all natural engine sound.

I'm assuming that if the CJ has no cat, it is smog exempt???
Billy
Only makes a difference if it came catless from the factory, which since he deleted the cats, I'd imagine it didn't.

A buddy of mine has a Borla catback and it sounds pretty good. Ryno on here runs a 12" glasspack and it sounds awesome. Those can be had pretty cheap.

My best souding exhaust setup up would have to be my stock cat, and then 2.5 inch piping all the way back. I constantly got compliments on that setup. Once the cat went bad, i bought a high flow magnaflow cat, and that made it way too loud. So i threw on a cherrybomb and now it sounds pretty nice, but i do miss my old exhaust setup.

For muffler I would say Magnaflow, do not waste your money on the cat-back kits as they are overpriced, and as you said can have a local shop make a custom setup.
For the lifted one, you can definitely do a custom downpipe without the dent. Make sure that the shop you have this done at has a mandrel bender.

Bought a Dynomax universal cat and magnaflow magnapack style muffler and welded it up with a turn down. Probably cost $200 total, if that. A tad loud, but has a good sound to it.

My '99 XJ has a Magnaflow cat and Dynomax cat-back, sounds pretty good but no noticeable difference in performance. The Dynomax cat-back is also cheap and doesn't hurt to much when/if it gets hit with a rock on the trail.
My '97 XJ is running a Spintech Cruiser series muffler. Well made, good deep sound but definitely louder I just couldn't package a bigger muffler or I would have.

one of the journeymen i have worked for has an old model A pickup hotrod. his exhaust is out of stainless steel electroplolished high-purity tube and fittings orbital welded together. oh wait, you said without going broke...

Lol at everybody talking about no cats on the CJ rofl.

Question...How do you do duals on a 4.0?

Easy enough - have the header split 1/2/3 and 4/5/6, have an exit flange/collector (three-into-one) for each set, then run parallel tubes and cats/mufflers out the back.

Awful lot of work for minimal gain, tho. Better off fabbing up a properl equal-length header with two three-into-one collectors dumping into a wye collector, fixing the downpipe to match, then leaving well enough alone on the rest (2.25"-2.50" is about right for the typical 242ci. A mild stroker will want 2.75"-3.00" exhaust.)

Back