• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which engine block heater should I go with?

The idea's really simple: warm the engine and it will start more easily. That is literally it.

Plus, it prolongs the life of the engine, easier on the starter, saves on startup fuel consumption.

I have heard of electric dipsticks that keep the oil warm...not sure how well they work as I have never used one...a search on Google shows they still sell them..

It helps to read pages of the thread other than just the current one ;) This was mentioned earlier.

I've never seen one installed. Where on the block does the OEM block heater connect?

It replaces the freeze plug on the driver's side of the block towards the front. Not much to see, really - from the exterior, it looks like a freeze plug with a power cord coming out of it.

I mounted two inferred spot lights on a long board that will slide under the Jeep. They are on a timer and general kick in about 2-4 hours before going to work.
What's good about this is they will heat everything under the hood. Battery, oil, block. In the sub 0 I may cover the hood with a blanket too.
They can also be use on any car they will slide under. If you use the smaller bulbs and a thinner broad it will fit under many cars.

idea stolen, now if I can just get my wife to not drive over it.

I have never had a properly maintained 4.0 not start. I used to live in MN. All mine where high out 4.0s from 91-95. Keep a good battery, upgrade cables, good starter, stay on top of your ignition and you will never have a problem. I ran 10-40 dino oil year round. I have had 4.0s start in -35 degree weather without windchill.

K and N oil filters help with cold weather starts. Lowers the oil pressure until the oil warms up.

It's not that a properly maintained vehicle "won't" start in MN winter. They will.

It's that some of us prefer to spend a few cents on a couple of hours of electric power to make it "easier" on the engine when starting in those severe conditions, as well as allowing for faster heat to the cab.

dealt with backup generators for my 20+ years in the Air Force, and I wouldn't use anything but a 500-1000 watt Kim Hotstart tank-type heater connected in parallel with heater hoses. I've had quite a few problems with the freeze-plug type as they concentrate their heat in one spot, and don't percolate throughout the engine. just my $.02

block heater question...

I have a 96 XJ 4.0 and I'm looking to install a tank type coolant circulation motor heater. I've been given advice that there is a point somewhere down low on the passenger side of the motor where I can install an out-take plug (to hose) to extract coolant for my proposed new coolant heater circuit.

Can anyone here give advice (or possibly a pic?!) of where this plug is located? Or, is there any knowledge on where to purchase/get the actual outtake plug to install into my motor to take off the coolant?

Thanks so much !!

Last edited:
I’ve started my 2000 XJ in -25 degree temperatures with the OE block heater. The Jeep fired up with no problems, maintained a low idle, and started blowing warm air in approximately 60-70 seconds. I would encourage anyone to install the OE block heater.

I'm installing one. I doubt I will use it much right now as I don't think my apartment complex would be too happy about that, but I think I could use it at work during the day.

Do you leave them plugged in all day or just a few hours before you leave?

Personally, for Kentucky conditions and a Jeep 4.0l.... I'd say don't bother with the block heater. My 4.0l has never had a problem turning over in Chicago or Michigan conditions during the winter.

My Dodge diesel has a block heater, I've got it set on a timer. The timer kicks on the block heater around 0330 for an 0700 commute. No reason to leave it run all night. Still, it takes around 5 miles before the temp gauge needle lifts off the peg (lots of iron in the block, 11 quarts of oil and 23 quarts of coolant.)

Mine's plugged into a timer; it runs for four hours twice a day (6am to 10am and 6pm to 10pm) based on when I'm most likely to need a pre-heated engine. This has hit a good balance between power consumption and convenience and has not resulted in coolant boil (which would likely be extremely hard to do with one of these anyway).

I'm installing one. I doubt I will use it much right now as I don't think my apartment complex would be too happy about that, but I think I could use it at work during the day.

I’m living in teacher housing while I get ready to build my home, so I don‘t pay for electricity. I leave mine plugged in 24/7. LOL

If you're concerned for electric usage, then I would probably buy a timer. I also have a Dodge Cummins, and I leave it plugged in 24/7. I never know when I might need my vehicles, so I just leave them plugged in.

My 89 has the OEM block heater in it, I plug it in anytime the forecast is for subzero temps at night. Two minutes after startup, I've got warm air blowing from the vents. YMMV.

block heater question...

I have a 96 XJ 4.0 and I'm looking to install a tank type coolant circulation motor heater. I've been given advice that there is a point somewhere down low on the side of the motor where I can install an out-take plug (to hose) to extract coolant for my proposed new coolant heater circuit.

Can anyone here give advice (or possibly a pic?!) of where this plug is located?

Thanks so much !!

Back