• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where do you guys mount your cb antennas?

I ran a couple different setups, but a year ago I switched to an NMO mount in the center of the roof and a Larson Antenna for the CB frequency range. It has held up very well, is very flexible, and I got an NMO cap so I can screw the antenna off and cover the mount with a little black cap anytime I want. THe through the roof NMO mount is sealed with an O-ring and the antenna coil has another O-ring on it's base. THe cap also has this O-ring to seal it to the roof also. I think it's a pretty nice setup and uses commercial quality products. Jeff

Larson NMOK mount

http://www.radialllarsen.com/docfiles/MobileMounts.pdf

Larson NMO27B antenna

http://www.radialllarsen.com/products_mobile_1.htm

http://www.radialllarsen.com/docfiles/MobileLowbandMidband27-136MHz.pdf

4ft Firestik Firefly, drivers side rear, aft of the gas filler :thumbup:

CB_03.jpg

this was the only one I could find that the anttena is visible. I just used a lil wilson magnet mount holds on like a champ.

4080_04330125839.jpg

I used a hole in the center of the roof, with a gumdrop-style mount, and a 3 foot Wilson antenna. I had a longer Wilson before, but it came around and smacked the rear side window hard one time, and convinced me to change it, before I got to replace a window cause of an antenna.

w_howey said:
I used a hole in the center of the roof, with a gumdrop-style mount, and a 3 foot Wilson antenna. I had a longer Wilson before, but it came around and smacked the rear side window hard one time, and convinced me to change it, before I got to replace a window cause of an antenna.

Well window would be the least of my worries: I'd be more worried about hitting someone on the trail as they are spotting me or standing near by!!

all these ways seem unique and differnt then my way or anything i ever see on the road. I just have a 4 ft firestik just the same as my regualr antenna but on the other side. I know why this setup sucks tho. to much intereferance with the wiring from the engine, radio, and heater/a/c. it affects reception if any of them are on.

steinjeep said:
Nice slick mount. I wonder if that would work on my 91'?

It didn't do too well on my '90. Got sick of bending the bracket back into shape after running in tight wooded trails. The bracket can bend into the hatch and jack that up a little as well.

I have been using a Wilson1000 with a magnetic mount for about 4 years now. It holds up pretty well although it has fallen off a couple times. Finally this last trip the whip broke at the base and fell off. I'll have to go get a new one.
Here's a gratuitous rock crawling pic...
122633480uLITMx_ph.sized.jpg

Jes

has anyone ever tried to mount the antenna on the roof at an angle sloping from the front to the back? i dont know if this is possible by fabbing up a bracket or something. this would keep the entire antenna above the roof, without it getting ripped off by branches...
i currently dont have a cb (but it is on the list...), and just wondered if this was possible...

Kejtar said:
Well window would be the least of my worries: I'd be more worried about hitting someone on the trail as they are spotting me or standing near by!!

Whip was only 72" long enough to get the window, not nearly long enough to get a person . Unless they were completely stupid.

w_howey said:
Whip was only 72" long enough to get the window, not nearly long enough to get a person . Unless they were completely stupid.

Sometimes it doesn't look like it might hit someone, but 72" is pretty long and those whips can flap around pretty good (I know I've seen it flap). Anyways, I didn't mean that as criticism but as something to keep in mind and consider.

Kejtar said:
Sometimes it doesn't look like it might hit someone, but 72" is pretty long and those whips can flap around pretty good (I know I've seen it flap). Anyways, I didn't mean that as criticism but as something to keep in mind and consider.

If somebody is standing within 6 foot of a moving Jeep on a section of trail that would cause enough energy, to be put into the antenna to do damage, isn't that person a perfect canidate for the Darwin Award??

I didn't take it as criticism, but a spotter, or spectator needs to think about personal safety first. Example, yes under the front of a Jeep as it breaks over an edge is a cool camera shot. But, its not safe to be under there to take the picture.

Plus, like the orignal post said, I replaced the antenna, because of the whip flapping around. Hitting the window was a symptom of that, and merely the impetus I need to change something that didn't work well off-road, no matter how well it recieved.

I mounted mine on the right side of my ARB bumper, get the mirrior mount and drill 4 holes and bolt it on... You can see mine on the Jeep show case under my Jeep family forum

Handlebars said:
standard.jpg

Don't mount the antenna without a spring.

I've got the exact same setup, with a spring, but facing towards the front. Make sure your hatch is down when you get it tuned - the hatch causes significant amount of interference.

I've been on the receiving end of a whip before, it doesnt feel too good (was out goofin off tryin to take some kewl pics when my brother came bombing through the area in my gramma's '47 willys) I had a pretty decent welt and he had a bloody nose where i socked him one. If anything I would go with a 4 ft firestick and try to mount it with a good magnet to my roof, that way you can take it on and off and not have to worry about someone stealing it either, when you are in town.

Kristen

Back