• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where are you guys mounting your fire extinguishers?

Are you in the back where the fires happen?

I still don't get why anyone would mount them anywhere but right next to the drivers seat.

I have successfully used a fire extinguisher that was mounted in the back, but I actually had time to think that time. You are are right, the closer the better. With all that said, a rear or trunk mount is better than nothing at all.

With all that said, a rear or trunk mount is better than nothing at all.

Yes, but why go through the "effort" of mounting it there rather than right up next to you?

I still don't get it.

I say "effort" because it's not hard at all. I had mine mounted on the floor next to my driver's seat in 20 minutes.

Yes, but why go through the "effort" of mounting it there rather than right up next to you?

x2, i have one within arms reach, and plan on putting another within arms reach.

i have one mounted in the back as well

Isn't it better to leave the hood shut and spray from underneath?

Um...I'm not too sure I would be one for crawling under my jeep while the engine is on fire, just seems like a poor life choice. You don't know what's causing the fire, so you could get flammable liquids dripped on you and then YOU'RE on fire!! That would be a site to see, XJ on fire AND the owner on fire. Plus you are spraying that retardant UP, things that go up mostly usually come back down and in this case in your face and eyes. Plus there are tons of things you can't reach from the bottom i.e. the fuel rail.

I think that the argument about fire extinguisher placement is interesting. I keep mine in my hatch. I know, that I'm about 99% more likely to get in a traffic accident, versus experiencing an engine fire. I don't think that a risk of having a compressed cylinder next to the driver's seat is worth the advantage of 5 seconds of fire response time.

my thoughts exactly. your more likely to get T-boned, and i sure as hell don't want a compressed cylinder being squished in-between me and the car that is t-boning me.

I plan on mounting mine to the back of the center console if it works. in reach, and no danger of exploding in an accident.

I prefer to keep mine loose in the cargo area, that way if I'm in a wreck it will project to the front seat. Kinda like an automatic extinguisher system.

Anybody mount it to the trany hump?

I prefer to keep mine loose in the cargo area, that way if I'm in a wreck it will project to the front seat. Kinda like an automatic extinguisher system.

Mine's mounted to the passenger side of the tranny hump. Horizontal, just below the plastic of the center console. Easily within my reach when I'm driving and it doesn't really interfere with legroom. I may mount another one in the same place on the driver's side. Was going to mount it between the seat and the door, but it wouldn't fit without removing the plastic trim from the seat.

Mine's mounted to the passenger side of the tranny hump. Horizontal, just below the plastic of the center console. Easily within my reach when I'm driving and it doesn't really interfere with legroom. I may mount another one in the same place on the driver's side. Was going to mount it between the seat and the door, but it wouldn't fit without removing the plastic trim from the seat.

Ok, sweet. I was thinking about mounting mine there but hadn't tested for leg room issues.

Um...I'm not too sure I would be one for crawling under my jeep while the engine is on fire, just seems like a poor life choice...

I'm not saying you crawl under, just look from the side and reach down. I haven't had a fire in the jeep yet, but I had 2 in a lowered v8 s10. In the first an oil line from the filter relocation kit melted on a header and sprayed oil everywhere. This happened going down the highway. I pulled over and a passenger wanted to open the hood but I stopped him because I didn't want more air getting to the fire and causing it to flame up. I didn't have an extinguisher but someone quickly stopped with one and I put the fire out. At that point it was only burning pretty much on the header, but there was oil all over and if I had opened the hood there's a good chance it would've been really bad. Like the 2nd fire, but I won't go into that one...

Heeding some good suggestions here, I got a BC (liquids/electrical) for the front cabin and left the larger ABC under the rear seat for back up.

I did get it mounted on the floor in front of the passenger seat, but why in the world can't I just drill holes in the floor? I thought it was just carpet on some sound deadening and a sheet of metal . . . apparently not!!

I have not been able to get a third screw into the floor and only one went clear through. So, what gives?
SSCN0399.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

X2 on the cheap plastic head extingishers, worthless, clog easy, and no gauge means you have no idea if you have pressure.

I have a big 5lb one mounted on my cage near the rear hatch. I guess I really should get a small 2.5lb or whatever for up front/ small fires.

I have a HALON extinguisher in my Wagoneer, but what other type of extinguishers are there? I just thought there was the HALON, and the baking soda type.

I'm not saying you crawl under, just look from the side and reach down. I haven't had a fire in the jeep yet, but I had 2 in a lowered v8 s10. In the first an oil line from the filter relocation kit melted on a header and sprayed oil everywhere. This happened going down the highway. I pulled over and a passenger wanted to open the hood but I stopped him because I didn't want more air getting to the fire and causing it to flame up. I didn't have an extinguisher but someone quickly stopped with one and I put the fire out. At that point it was only burning pretty much on the header, but there was oil all over and if I had opened the hood there's a good chance it would've been really bad. Like the 2nd fire, but I won't go into that one...

In your situation it was probably better, but if I have a fire extinguisher don't see why you wouldn't go through the top. Fire is going out one way or another. Still a lot of electrical that you can't reach from the bottom.

Guess there is only one way to solve this...who want's to offer up their XJ so we can set it on fire? We need two volunteers.

Back