• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where are you guys mounting your fire extinguishers?

Agreed on the missile hazards. Anything mounted fore-aft without a significant stop block could shoot out in a collision breaking a foot. Or a noggin for that matter.

I've put a big ABC (10#) under the rear seat in place of the stock bottle jack (had to cut out the bracket and some carpet).

From every thing you guys are saying, I think I need a second (maybe 5#) within easy reach of the driver's seat. (I'm working on that).

Leather gloves with the FE is a great idea!
FEstowage.jpg

Last edited:
This is a little pricey but its automatic and you dont have to open the hood, and you dont get all that white poweder everywhere..

http://www.racedaysafety.com/ess-fire-supression-system--23-liter-afff-syst23.html

ESS Fire Suppression System - 5lb (2.3 Liter) AFFF System Free Shipping!

Item# RDS1600
$413.00
SFICertification: choose oneNo, don't need precharged & sealed per SFI specsSFI 17.1 system charged & sealed per SFI specs (+$15) ESS Accessories: select hereAdd a 2.3 Recharge Kit (+$54.95)Add a 4.6 Recharge Kit (+$64.95)Add an extra Nozzel Kit (+$29.95)Add one 10 ft. coil of 1/4 Aluminum Tubing (+$15.00)

Product Description

FREE SHIPPING!

This ESS (Emergency Suppression System) is a two zone fire system that offers protection to two zones in case of a fire. Recommended zones for this racing system would be the engine and driver. This system comes with 3 nozzles, 2 nozzels for the engine and 1 nozzel for the driver. If you are looking for a three zone system to cover the engine, driver and fuel cell, try the ESS 4.6 liter system.

ESS is designed for racers by racers and meets competition approvals of SCCA, NASA and other auto racing sanctioning bodies.

This system comes complete with 10 feet of aluminum tubing, 3 Nozzels, Bulkhead Tee, Manual Release Pull Cable, All needed Brackets and Hardware to complete installation as well as Instructions and Charging Kit.

Benefits of the the ESS System Include:

* AFFF will not cause electrolysis like dry chemical extinguishers and will clean up with water.

* Rechargeable by the user.

* The 2.3 Liter System is equal to a 5 lb. Halon System.

Agreed on the missile hazards. Anything mounted fore-aft without a significant stop block could shoot out in a collision breaking a foot. Or a noggin for that matter.

I've put a big ABC (10#) under the rear seat in place of the stock bottle jack (had to cut out the bracket and some carpet).

From every thing you guys are saying, I think I need a second (maybe 5#) within easy reach of the driver's seat. (I'm working on that).

Leather gloves with the FE is a great idea!
FEstowage.jpg

Yep, and your rig will burn before you have time to get that thing out, especially if you have anything thrown on the backseat, or floor.

ktmracer has two smaller ones mounted on each A pillar. Easy to reach, and his rig has caught on fire before, so he won't mount them anywhere but where you can get to them easily. I have one mounted on my rear D pillar, and will be mounting the other one on my passenger A pillar in my '99. In my '91, with the difference in the seat design, I have one just on the ground between the door jam and seat base.

yup, I got a kiddie 5# mounted on my a pillar driver side. Easily accessible from the driver. I know I need another one, but hey one is better than none.

Mine is mounted right by the transfer case lever next to my right leg. Its just a 2lb'er. Will probably add another in the future.

You'd be suprised at the amount of cracks people make about me having a fire extinguisher.. Never really understood the humor behind it??

around here mostly ricers have fire extinguishers, thats probably why they laugh. But hey if your jeep is on fire and you dont have one Im sure you wont be laughing.

. . .You'd be suprised at the amount of cracks people make about me having a fire extinguisher.. Never really understood the humor behind it??

ha, I remember Bill Cosby doing a routine on driving a Shelby(not sure if that was a Cobra or a Mustang) "back in the day." he made a pretty funny deal out of the trepidation the presence of the fire extinguisher brought to him!

I guess I need to get one out in plain view to worry my passengers!

within arm's reach of the driver's seat and retrievable with one hand, quickly, is a must. Get the largest extinguisher you can use easily and quickly.

Oh, if you ever have an engine fire, TURN THE VEHICLE OFF IMMEDIATELY, next pop the hood. Some of the fuel lines are plastic, you don't want to be pumping gas into the fire, nor do you want to be pumping ATF all over the place after those lines burn through. You also want to be able to open the hood, but that's somewhat less important.

Yep, and your rig will burn before you have time to get that thing out, especially if you have anything thrown on the backseat, or floor.

ktmracer has two smaller ones mounted on each A pillar. Easy to reach, and his rig has caught on fire before, so he won't mount them anywhere but where you can get to them easily. I have one mounted on my rear D pillar, and will be mounting the other one on my passenger A pillar in my '99. In my '91, with the difference in the seat design, I have one just on the ground between the door jam and seat base.
You're right, of course. I'm down with that, but I mostly have it there to put your rig out! Some others also helped me realize that if there are passengers, or stuff in the back, or the seat back down for cargo, then the location is useless.

I did jump out of the driver's seat and have it hand in seven seconds, but I'd like to get a smaller one mounted on the passenger front floor; maybe one of those Purple K jobs.

Good observation, BTW. Thanks for the feedback!

I think that the argument about fire extinguisher placement is interesting. I keep mine in my hatch. I know, that I'm about 99% more likely to get in a traffic accident, versus experiencing an engine fire. I don't think that a risk of having a compressed cylinder next to the driver's seat is worth the advantage of 5 seconds of fire response time.

I'm fully aware that engine fires can be measured in minutes, if not seconds. I also know that my small fire extinguisher probably won't put the fire out anyway, assuming that I can hit the target with the small amount of retardent that I have.

Ask yourself how many people you know that have been t-boned in an intersection. Now how many people do you know that have had an engine fire. Of those folks that you know of with an engine fire, would the outcome have changed if they had to grab the extinquisher from the hatch. For those of you that respond with your buddy's engine fire story, don't forget to include the count of traffic accidents. Thanks!

i have em' on each a-pillar

if there is a fire. one is in my hand and ready to go in nanoseconds.

its a hell of an adrenaline rush when you open the hood and see 5 foot flames come out. i wouldnt consider mounting them anywhere that isnt within arms reach.

partout014.jpg

I think that the argument about fire extinguisher placement is interesting. I keep mine in my hatch. I know, that I'm about 99% more likely to get in a traffic accident, versus experiencing an engine fire. I don't think that a risk of having a compressed cylinder next to the driver's seat is worth the advantage of 5 seconds of fire response time.

I'm fully aware that engine fires can be measured in minutes, if not seconds. I also know that my small fire extinguisher probably won't put the fire out anyway, assuming that I can hit the target with the small amount of retardent that I have.

Ask yourself how many people you know that have been t-boned in an intersection. Now how many people do you know that have had an engine fire. Of those folks that you know of with an engine fire, would the outcome have changed if they had to grab the extinquisher from the hatch. For those of you that respond with your buddy's engine fire story, don't forget to include the count of traffic accidents. Thanks!

been in 2 accidents at speed, never at fault. not to mention jumps with hard landings, hitting rock faces hard enough to blow my airbag, and the fire extinguishers have stayed put

This topic seems to come up every few months and hopefully it brings awareness or ideas to people.
within arm's reach of the driver's seat and retrievable with one hand, quickly, is a must. Get the largest extinguisher you can use easily and quickly.
Exactly this. I understand most people are not trying to conform to most racing organizations rules, but those rules are still good ideas in terms of safety for most rigs. Under the seat, behind a tire, in that cubby hole, next to the rear quarter glass, etc are all to far away from the driver to be immediately effective. Hopefully no one ever needs there extinguishers but it is something to keep in mind.

I've got some Amerex 2.5lb'rs mounted on quick release hinges the B-Pillar hoop. I've had the cheaper Kiddie ones in the past and they seem to leak out and loose their charge within a few months. The cheaper plastic head ones are not built to be bouncing around and are more designed to be hanging on a fixed wall position.

Here's how mine are mounted (both driver and/or passenger have their own and can reach them while seated). I understand not many can mount like I have it, but there are several other good ideas for close to driver mounting in the thread already:
FuelSystemComplete.jpg

Isn't it better to leave the hood shut and spray from underneath?

it might have been.

everything happened so fast and i thought "GET EXTINGUISHER TO FIRE ASAP"

didn't exactly have time to think lol.

I have had a engine fire while driving my dad's roadmaster wagon on the interstate. Brakes did not work, never did figure out exactly what went wrong. Had two passengers, definiley was one of the scarier experiences of my life. Hood was engulfed in flames by the time I got it stopped and jumped out. Both passnegers jumped out once I was down to probaly about ten mph. Had to re enter highway to get around another broken down car who had a 10 ibextinglisher but wasn't much use by then.

Back