• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When you jump a Jeep Cherokee

I used to jump my Tracker on a somewhat regular basis in the washes around here...Thing took it very well. Course it only weighed something like 2000 lbs or so, maybe 2500. Used to get around 2 feet easily, Once I got 3-4 feet and landed pretty easy. I miss my little mini-Jeep.

Bikes are safer:

MIKEPARENTIST.jpg

streetpirate said:
i caught enough air on pavement and landed on the right front wheel enough to stuff it all the way into the fender well, bend my d30 just enough to where 4wd wouldent engage, taco my wheel, and the pass frame side lca mount took a large portion of the force of landing and distributed it throughout the unibody. makes for a real wavy roofline, and passenger side door that barely closes. i was lucky.

the stuffage also lead my oilpan to take the perfect shape of the d30 housing. i dont have any pics of the carnage, save this. i kept the pass lca. after i got dragged out of the ditch, i got to drive it with this lca on it the 1/2 mile to my buddies house. it had just a little bit of a pull to one side. i'll get the pic later, no photobucket yet and time limited
Untitled-1.jpg

i might as well add my experiance. jumped a railroad track at like 35, skyed it, only had 3'' skyjacker springs. landed nose heavy. BAD EXPERIENCE dont do it. air bag hit me in the chin and resulted in fender damage and a HPD30 bent leaking gear oil on both sides tires like / \ if you looked from the rear.

used to jump my vw golf on the street...got about 1.5 feet of air once...that was really bad. sparks flying everywhere on landing. no real damage...that i knew of. oh well its someone elses now! :D

Sorry to bring this OLD thread back up, but you guys all made XJs sound like they're built out of sh!t. Is it really This bad?
I fling my solid axle Toy off of anything and everything I can, and did Much more in my old solid axle GMC.

feerocknok said:
Sorry to bring this OLD thread back up, but you guys all made XJs sound like they're built out of sh!t. Is it really This bad?
I fling my solid axle Toy off of anything and everything I can, and did Much more in my old solid axle GMC.

Toy axles are pretty strong, your GM likely had a D44 up front. Both had channel or boxed frames......the XJ's uni-frame (sheetmetal) is the weak link when repeated airtime is involved, and the stock D30 housing and knuckles will bend. XJ's can make good fliers, given the proper mods and beefing in the proper areas.

This is some real air, with a rig built to fly....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dU9M055RlU&mode=related&search=

Last edited:
DAMN!!! that video in the link is CRAZY!!

We've jumped ours twice, both in the same day and I have to say, F-250 coils work amazing.
I'm not even sure that we bottomed out in the front. Now the jump wasn't huge, I'd say about 2 and half feet or so, but the coils gave a firm, but easy landing.

Anyways, I'm done contributing nothing to this thread now.
:)

i have jumped my xj repeatedly, here is the results

front swaybar came up and dented the wheel well

rear did almost the same thing befor i removed it

rear uniframe colapsing above the bumpstop

crappy plastic battery tray broke

i think thats it, but my shocks are now bad and i think its related

i say its fun and worth it

Going way back... when I was in High School, I started with a Pinto. Lets just say, I replaced practically every single piece in the front suspension and steering. Anything I broke, I saw why it broke, and tried to reinforce it. I learned to box lower control arms and upper A arms. Longer stiffer coil springs from a Pinto wagon that I had a spring shop stretch 2". Skid plate under the oil pan, and another under the gas tank (glad there was only 2 gallons in it when it became a 3 gallon tank!!!!). Dual shocks at all 4 corners... And big rubber bump stops from a Chevy truck in strategic places. I was quite surprised that the Unibody never really got tweaked that bad...

Back