• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When you jump a Jeep Cherokee

oh this one
airtime.jpg

rock rash said:
That is mine. I jumped it about 4 ft off the ground on that one. I was worried about cracking the "frame" or breaking a shaft but i didnt. I have no frame stiffeners or aftermarket shafts. I have the d30/ 27 spline 8.25 combo. mainly stupid but a lot of fun. i did this atleast 7 times through out the week. If you start planning on doing it alot, i would suggest strengthening alot. I may have tweaked my frame a bit.

Didn't you know those were load-bearing doors?:lecture:

I jumped mine out at Praire city a few times. Only about a 18 inches or so, no damage what so ever, and I still drive it every day back and forth to work. This 90 XJ is the best $250 toy I have every bought.

I guess ya have to lead horses to water,

BUT

Jumping shit for the sake of airtime is at the peril of the occcupant(s) and the equipment.

If going faster is the objective, plan on trying to keep the wheels on the ground, deliviring power.

Has anyone put their XJ on stands/lift behind the LCA mounts, jacked up the front axle till the load is just off the stands/lift, measured the bumper to the ground. Then lowered the axle back down all the way and remeasured? My frontend flexed like 3-4 inches.

Wolz said:
Has anyone put their XJ on stands/lift behind the LCA mounts, jacked up the front axle till the load is just off the stands/lift, measured the bumper to the ground. Then lowered the axle back down all the way and remeasured? My frontend flexed like 3-4 inches.
Hmmm most of your flexing on the trail is done one wheel at a time. Well not really one wheel at a time, but what I mean is one is stuffed the other one is drooping. I think you just described unloading :D

Anyways my droop is not as good as my flex :D

Im one of the lucky ones whose XJ has seen 4+ feet of air on multiple occasions and still drives down the road in a straight line. Granted, the front 30 tweaked ever so slightly, but not enough to do any real harm. I was running 10" of lift at the time, and no bumpstops, with my 35's aired down to about 5 psi. I assume that combo allowed the majority of the shock to be soaked into the uptravel/tire bulge.

that last pic is the 5KXJ from 4Wheel & Offroad mag. in the current issue they 4-link the rear with the rockcrawler kit and coilovers of course. sweet ride... i also remember something about axle and unibody damage.

Last edited:
I've gotten a little bit of air time in my (leaf sprung) MJ while flying down desert "roads". Nothing bent or tweaked. I have 12" Bilstein 5100s up with bumpstops tuned well, those things made by far the biggest difference.

no doubt I was fatiguing the unibody at about 1000 times the rate of street driving...

ive jumped mine but nothing too serious. if i was serious id get the bilstein air bump stops and a rollcage.

rock rash said:
Turns out i might have bent my front axle housing. Not good.
Bwahahahaha oh man that kills me....I think I told you in your pics thread to check your axle. bwahahahaha....

Sorry that sucks you bent it but still....bwahahaha!

Never ever jump an XJ, especially not stock on 30's.
Never ever jump it repeatedly and drive home.
Never ever jump it to no ill effects.
Never ever look at my avatar.

Well, maybe just little jumps.....itty bitty ones....

RE what to do to an xj to make it jumpable......
1. Take the seats and steering wheel out
2. Order your trail rated sticker
3. Buy a Lada Niva
4. Put in the seats and wheel, slap a sticker on the side
5. Nearly unbreakable (and nearly unstuckable) Jeep XJ

Back