• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheeling Trip to the Real Silent Hill (Centralia, PA) - Underground Mine Fire

that is one of the coolest things i have ever seen

It actually is a pretty cool place to see, at least once.. maybe twice. I go there often, though, 'cause I enjoy seeing how it changes - plus my friends never stop bugging me: "When you going to Centralia next? I wanna come!" - it's constant I tell ya!

Ive never really looked to see where this place is until know its about 3 hrs from me. I might just have to take the trip if anyone has a trip soon who knows where to go Id like to tag along

Most of the area is just abandoned town with streets and no buildings... some of the areas like the closed section of highway are hidden on purpose but there are many people back there each day. Are some areas illegal, maybe but most of it is just abandoned roads.

Since Centralia is back in the news...

Its boring. I was expecting a little more to see... But what is actually Centralia is ...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz snore.

Rausch creek trails are more worth the drive / gas money, by all means

They knew you were coming and knocked down all the vacant buildings. No fun for you! :confused1

That church is actually in Centralia itself. It's on the North side of town. It can be seen on the mountain ridge from most spots in town.

It's always a fun trip up there. Lots of random things to see and do, especially in summer when Knoebels is open :-D It is possible for a piece of ground to open up under your feet or your vehicle, but it's still kinda rare.

What!? KINDA rare? haha. Thats a bit scary... Reported cases?? I'm assuming if something happened and someone got injured/died/sued... it would be really blocked off, right? Im still going! haha.

And GhoatDakota... you say it changes often? Is the ground really that active?

The most infamous story is listed online, I can't look right now since I am at work but give it the ol' Google try lol.

Regarding the actual change of landscape, it happens every time I am there, especially on the old 61. Very cool.

More news:

AP By MICHAEL RUBINKAM

ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) - March 9, 2010 -- The few remaining residents of a Pennsylvania coal town decimated by a 48-year-old underground mine fire claim in court papers that a "massive fraud" is being perpetrated against Centralia by parties seeking to grab the mineral rights to hundreds of millions of dollars worth of coal.

In a filing late Monday, four property owners and the borough asked a state appeals court to block Pennsylvania officials from seizing their homes. The state condemned the homes in the early 1990s but only recently moved to oust the remaining holdouts.

Centralia all but ceased to exist in the 1980s as the mine fire spread underneath homes and businesses. More than 1,000 people moved out.

The holdouts say they have evidence that the fire isn't a threat and may never have endangered the town.

(Copyright ©2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=7320222

Back