• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats your brake pad of choice?

If you want to run cross-drilled, slotted, cryo treated rotors and expensive pads, go for it- just don't say I'm sacrificing the safety of my family to save a buck. That's patently offensive, especially when the basis of that claim is what some salesman told you. See where I'm coming from?

New cheap stuff stops way better than worn whatever brand FWIW.

If you want to run cross-drilled, slotted, cryo treated rotors and expensive pads, go for it- just don't say I'm sacrificing the safety of my family to save a buck. That's patently offensive, especially when the basis of that claim is what some salesman told you. See where I'm coming from?

i see where your coming from, i apologize, i didnt intend to come off offensive.

and i dont want to run a bunch of stuff i dont need, mostly i just want it to stop better than what i have now and last long enough to get my money out of the pads i bought, but im thinking if i want to lose the spongy pedal feel im going to have to fork over the extra shiny penny for a set of stainless brake lines which wont happen until after i get the lift

They don't sell Duralast, do they?

Who's they?

Have you seen this feature?
quote.gif

Billy

I don't understand the bickering. Just buy a reputable LIFETIME WARRANTY pad & call it done. You will never have to pay up again.

I will throw this in just to muddy the water a little more. :viking: :firedevil

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=975097

Although I do not run the Vanco Products, I will heed their advice on my next disc pads replacement. Why should I re-invent the wheel?

You do know pads are like batteries. There is a handfull of manufactures that just relabel them for Napa, Autozone, Carquest , what have you. Do you really think these parts stores MAKE their OWN pads?

Callahan Auto Parts brake pads is what I use.

You know you can get a good look at a bull by sticking your head up a butchers ass......wait it has to be your bull......

Shut up Richard!

^ Best movie ever.

Im looking into some Hawk pads, I've got big o brand under the jeep now. Yuck.

im torn between ebc's green stuff's 7000's or the hawk hps, the other thread made good points about alot of issues, makes me leery about going to a higher end rotor, i may just stick with an autozone replacement.

I bought slotted rotors from Sportcompactonly.com back in 2004 or 2005.They're still holding up good, and have seen plenty of trail time in mud, dirt, rocks, water, etc, with no detrimental effects that I've noticed. I usually just run AutoZone or Napa pads, the middle grade, and can't remember the last time I bought new ones. It still stops great, and even with 33s has enough force to almost lock em up on pavement.

I don't understand the bickering. Just buy a reputable LIFETIME WARRANTY pad & call it done. You will never have to pay up again.

I would personally RUN AWAY from Lifetime Warranty pads. They are usually harder than granite and therefore SUCK at actually stopping the vehicle.

Right on hubs97xj! The cost of pads depends on a lot of factors having nothing to do with stopping a vehicle in everyday driving situations.

Edit: Same thought applies but I see I missed a whole page of posts.

Last edited:
If you think about it, wouldn't slotted or cross-drilled rotors catch more crap in them in the dirt and mud? Race type pads will tend to be harder and not stop as well in an emergency stop from low speeds (around town) because they need to heat up first. Ever notice the race car drivers (road circuits) warming up their brakes on a restart? Bigger brakes are good (expensive) and rear disks are good (expensive), but there is nothing wrong with the cheap pads, rotors, or drums either. They will not make your brakes "spongy". That is from old fluid, air in your lines, excessive runout in the rotors or misadjustment of the rear brake shoes. Putting a lot of money into fancy non-stock brake parts won't make your Jeep any safer. It might even help you roll it over easier, especially if your lifted. First thing though is not to believe anything that a tire shop or any other place tells you with the "free brake inspection."

Back