• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats wrong with my heep?

well, seeing as how i really feel the problem in the exaust (putting, choppy, and my muffler sounds different at low RPM's now) it may be the CAT.... HMM. how do i check the CAT? is it underneath or in the engine bay?

Splice a vacuum gage into a intake manifold hose and start your motor. If the vacuum starts out high and steadily goes down, that is a sign of an obstruction in the exhaust system. Cat, smashed pipe, etc.

a compression check does not mean head gasket neccisarily, with the sound of your exhaust and the engine tone you are describing it sounds like a burned valve. A way to test for this without a gauge is to start the engine, let it warm up, then rev it up as high as you are comfortable and with the RPMs still pegged shut the key off. When you shut the key off keep your foot to the floor. If you still hear the putting sound in your exhaust when you turn the key off, it is a mechanical problem I.E. burned valve or broken compression ring, If the sound goes away it is a timing/fuel delivery problem. You can check for head gasket problems by pulling the spark plug and checking for a white crust building up on the tip, also by smelling the tip (i know, sounds wierd) for a slight sweet smell. If you are only getting a miss on one cylinder if a head gasket is bad it must be leaking to the water jackets and not leaking between cylinders.

well, seeing as how i really feel the problem in the exaust (putting, choppy, and my muffler sounds different at low RPM's now) it may be the CAT.... HMM. how do i check the CAT? is it underneath or in the engine bay?
You have not made it to Josh's yet???

Not to bag on you Jonathan, but a little help and a little mentoring will take you a long way right now. You even get to make new friends in the process. ;)

in4aride said josh was sick today. and i feel dumb for not knowing what the CAT was. I should have figured it was the catalytic converter under my rig. I know suspension, steering, and all that crap. Motors.... not so much.

the vacuum gauge read a steaqdy 16-17 when i had it hooked up. left it on there for@5 minutes, which is why i already stated i dont think it is an exhaust problem. from start to finish, 16-17in of vac.
i also highly doubt, as i said before, a head gasket.
i did say how to run the compression test, and how to check for a valve or ring problem if the compression is low at number 1 cylinder.

johnathan, dont feel stupid for not knowing what the cat etc was mate, we all had to learn one time! i dont see the exhaust being a problem, it will sound like it does as soon as the motor has an issue, not sound like that because there is a blockage in the exhaust! an uneven exhaust sound is either an aftermarket cam or an issue with the motor not running smoothly.
just my .02...

martin

the vacuum gauge read a steaqdy 16-17 when i had it hooked up. left it on there for@5 minutes, which is why i already stated i dont think it is an exhaust problem. from start to finish, 16-17in of vac.
i also highly doubt, as i said before, a head gasket.
i did say how to run the compression test, and how to check for a valve or ring problem if the compression is low at number 1 cylinder.

johnathan, dont feel stupid for not knowing what the cat etc was mate, we all had to learn one time! i dont see the exhaust being a problem, it will sound like it does as soon as the motor has an issue, not sound like that because there is a blockage in the exhaust! an uneven exhaust sound is either an aftermarket cam or an issue with the motor not running smoothly.
just my .02...

martin

martin,

only just got your voicemail today! sorry i missed your call. we have been sleeping and sitting on the couch for the last 2 days recovering from our trip! what a long drive. Once my friend here in Colorado feels better i will be going to his place to do the compression test. Its about 20 degrees here right now but there is warmer weather on the horizon they say. I hope to get outside and working on it again in the next day or 2. Ill keep you updated! Thanks again Martin.

Jonathan

fear not, it is 10 degrees here in minot,nd mate!!!! too bloody cold....

keep me posted

martin

Have you tried a seafoam treatment? I remember seeing a TSB for a cylinder misfire and it recommend use of Mopar Combustion chamber Cleaner to clean the valves off. Something about he valves not rotating and gumming up resulting in a valve not closing 100% (I think it was the exhaust valve too).

Now that's interesting, and also something that should show up with a leak-down test.

You are doing good Jonathan. We all start somewhere, leftlane pretty much nailed the sentiment for me. You are getting deep enough into the diagnostics that it's easier and cheaper to get with someone who has been there, done that, and still has the toys you need.

Not to hyjack...... but my 98 has exactly the same problem as you mentioned....and i mean exact like every symptom..... And i tryed all the same fixes new cap and rotor, plugs twice diff brands, wires and also tryed replacing the upstream O2 sensor.Also a new coil.... i never tryed the ccv valve or IAC.......i said screw it and just kept driving it .. id really like 2 get rid of the cly 1 missfire myself...

Last edited:
I had a Jimmy that did this type of thing for a while, could it possibly be the EGR valve, thats what did it on my jimmy

edit...Upon further investigation, a bad EGR valve will throw this code sometimes also.

Last edited:
Back