• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's in your repair kit?

MT90 is fine. So is pennzoil synchromesh or mobil1 10w30. Don't run GL5 unless it lists yellow metal safe.

my entire tool collection fits in one 80-90lb toolbag, so I just sling that on the passenger floorboard.

spares and tools that I bought just to keep in the jeep...
full set d30 axleshafts w/ unit bearings (prefer to carry 2 sets)
rear driveshaft
front driveshaft
driveshaft ujoint
chrysler 8.25 yoke, d30/d44 yoke
CPS
tools/materials to patch any copper or aluminum radiator on the trail (alumaweld, steel wire brush, copper flashing, plumbing solder, torch, flux, flux brush)
spare ujoint straps and bolts
spare cv joint bolts
5/16 6 point box wrench, 1/4 drive 6 point socket, and 12 point gearwrench
sometimes spare shocks if I know I'm gonna be thrashing it pretty bad
spare ignition coil
fuses
DMM
spare brake lines - all 3 rubber, a T-fitting for hardlines, a 12" preflared hardline, a 3/8-24 invert flare blockoff plug
a handful of stock lugnuts as spares in case I or someone else drops one in a mudhole/rockfield and can't find it
spare d30 balljoints (one set)
spare steering linkage for long trips
valve stems
high lift
stock bottle jack
brake flaring toolkit
11mm socket, ujoint, 3 feet of cheap extensions, ratchet (you know what this is for...)
cheap ratchet straps, comealong

my rig is a haggard POS and I beat it like a stolen racecar, so that weighs heavily on my spares/tools carrying strategy... if you're nice to yours and/or it's in better shape than mine, you can probably get away with far less.

That being said, a lot of those things don't weigh much. My spares/tools *probably* weigh less than 200lbs, and if I cut out the crap that's optional or very rarely needed, I'm sure I could get it down to around 150 easy.

Oh yeah, I carry a spare thermostat, rad cap, thermostat gasket, radiator hoses, water pump, and water pump gasket after a bad experience with a radiator hose exploding due to a crummy pump and stuck thermostat two years ago. Forgot entirely about that stuff since it was behind the passenger seat.

Yeah my jeep is pretty clean and it's also 2wd so it's not like I am prone to too much drivetrain damage. The only thing I have to worry about is the motor and electrical and suspension. Other wise it's pretty solid.

my rig is a haggard POS and I beat it like a stolen racecar, so that weighs heavily on my spares/tools carrying strategy... if you're nice to yours and/or it's in better shape than mine, you can probably get away with far less.

That being said, a lot of those things don't weigh much. My spares/tools *probably* weigh less than 200lbs, and if I cut out the crap that's optional or very rarely needed, I'm sure I could get it down to around 150 easy.

Oh yeah, I carry a spare thermostat, rad cap, thermostat gasket, radiator hoses, water pump, and water pump gasket after a bad experience with a radiator hose exploding due to a crummy pump and stuck thermostat two years ago. Forgot entirely about that stuff since it was behind the passenger seat.

Back