• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what's in your recovery kit

Elguapo

NAXJA Forum User
Alright. Almost ready for the summer. I plan on hitting allot of trails near and far. I'd like to give myself and friends some resources for when shit goes bad.
I used to run a 25 gallon bin. Unfortunately some auto trans fluid spilled and I'm not cleaning that up again. Decided to seperate everything into 2 10gal bins and one bag.

Bin one. Trany fluid, water, oil, gear oil, pb blaster, starting fluid, brake fluid, had some power steering I threw in as well.
20140406_101707.jpg

Bin 2
Bottle jack, jack stand, jumper cables, breaker bar, rachet straps, shop rags, random hose and clamps, spare battery terminals, hand saw
20140406_110344.jpg

Bag
Various pliers vice grips, screw drivers, hammer, tow strap, wire, multi meter, electrical and duct tape, Crescent wrenches, razor blades and a versatile racheting wrench set. Impact sockets
Ingersoll rand 1/2 impact gun
20140406_112532.jpg

Regular wrench set under the passenger seat. 12v compressor under it. Tire deflators in the glove box
20140406_112544.jpg

Almost there. I need a first aid kit, new extinguisher and spare shafts.

Last edited:
My recovery kit-
Tow strap
Shackles
6 ft length of chain
Various nuts, bolts, hose, wire
Extra water and ps fluid
2.5 lb sledge and large crescent wrench
30 ft of rope
Small first aid kit
Spare tire
Spare shafts
Spare ds
Jacket
Gloves

SHTF BOX.
my shtf box has a ton of good stuff in it.
Fire starters
Food
Water
Water purification tablets
Camping stove/fuel
Rain ponchos
Thermal blankets
Knife
Small firearm and ammo
Various plastic bags and containers
Cotton swaps and qtips
First aid stuff
Various small rope and twine
8 ft of 1/4 clear tube
Tie wire/zip ties/ duct tape
P38's
100 pack of razor blades
And so much more...

I keep the SHTF BOX in my jeep in case the worst happens. Its not a complete "survival" kit bit it has many many thing that would aid in survival in case I end up stranded in some far away, remote place. No survival kit is complete, but something is always better then nothing.

Tire plug kit.
A Tupperware you can catch old fluid in (popping a diff cover off)
Highlift handle (don't need the jack, but holy hell the ways tip and I have used the handle to get off the trail)
Random nuts and bolts box ( whenever you have random hardware laying around, it goes in the box. That box lives in the jeep.)
Tarp.

Tire plug kit.
A Tupperware you can catch old fluid in (popping a diff cover off)
Highlift handle (don't need the jack, but holy hell the ways tip and I have used the handle to get off the trail)
Random nuts and bolts box ( whenever you have random hardware laying around, it goes in the box. That box lives in the jeep.)
Tarp.

I like the tupperware idea for the diff Mike. Time to raid the kitchen.
Next time I go to a parts shop im grabbing a gas tank leak kit. Worked great on a fox body I had.

I bring too much stuff nearly 350lbs of repair items and tools ...this summer the XJ will ride on the trailer and 90% of that shyt will sit either in a box on the trailer or in the pickup bed and only a basic set of wrenches and tire plugs will be riding in cab I will probably even leave the spare tire at the trail head . I have a friend who brings ...NOTHING...Danny AKA Chinakee not even a set of vise grips or a spare tire ...lol...he says they weigh too much , and even last summer when Chinakee rode on a trailer he brought no tools ,which could have been left on the trailer or truck ...LOL...first trip with him he ripped off a brake line I have spare lines but left the fitting in a box at home and he broke the fitting , so a set of VISE GRIPS were used to keep playing for the day...MY VISE GRIPS the man dumped $$$$ into an new Atlas 4.3 and nv4500 and took off brand new 42 Iroks he just bought to buy and put on 42 TSL on beadlocks B/C he said the Iroks measured "small" ...LOL...but he does not spend the cash on a cheap WAL-Mart tool set .......the man does not even carry a jack ,but then again he has no spare B/C they add too much weight .:laugh:

Mine grows and shrinks per trip. Don't forget to anchor everything down. From time to time they become fatal projectiles in the event of a collision.

Basics; (that are separated into two milk crates held in place with tie downs always in the Jeep) All fluids, 30' tow strap, hitch pin, spare tire, tire plugs/tool, metric wrench set 8mm-19, breaker bar, deep metric socket set, spark plug socket, spark plug, spark plug wire, safety wire, safety wire tool, phillips head, flat head, pry bar, VICE GRIPS, needle nose pliers, spare shock(rear; BPE's), couple sets of latex gloves, a couple of large towels, toilet paper, shop rags, trash bags), jack, 1 gallon of water.

..that's pretty much it, although I'm sure I've forgotten stuff. Maybe not.

Oh, and some twinkies.

I rarely bring spare parts. However I do bring proper clothing for the weather and a good set of shoes. Saves weight. ;)

I need to get a set of spare batteries to set myself up for weldfing trail repairs I'll have the Generator and welder on the truck at the trailhead for quality weld repairs .

ALKA Seltzer, aspirin, cold wrap, change of clothes & shoes, pre-written excuses (for calling out sick at work, change (for calling a friend to get me home), m/c helmet (comes in handy in case the wife comes after me with a rolling pin)...oops, wrong recovery list. My bad...

I run a lot of expo runs and trails solo with the wife and pups so I bring a small garage with me:

- Alternator & starter
- belts, hoses, & clamps
- full spare and patch kit
- fluids
- fuses, connectors, and wire 12 AWG- 2 AWG
- spare shafts with unit bearings and spare bolts
- snatch, recovery strap, F&R winch
-CO2 w/a few air tools.
- mechanic socket set
- misc. socket wrenches
- bottle and hi-lift jack
- roto pax - gas& distilled water.