• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would you recomend

Ewenm

NAXJA Forum User
my '94 XJ's rear diff (D35) is on its last legs, apparently the bearings are falling apart, its noisy and chunky my son in law has a D44 out of a late model wrangler, that i could have, the cost of adding spring perches is probably less than getting mine repaired,

i have 3.55 ratios, would the wrangler be the same? what do you think

fix mine use the D44 or get a new ( used) one

Ewen

My guess is that 44 would have 4.10 gears. If you can weld or can have it welded then the 44 sounds like it is the way to go. Being in Australia I would think finding a rear end from a junk yard would be near impossible, so even if you have to regear the front to match the rear or vice versa youd probably still come out way ahead.

thanks for that and yeah finding parts is hard its almost easier to buy a complete car and break it up

is the gear ratio stamped on the gearcase ??

Regards

Ewen

Depending on what brand gears it has it might be on the ring gear if you pull the cover. Sometime there is a tag attached to the diff cover bolts and it will also be stamped on there.
Otherwise if you are set on using the axle you can count the teeth on the ring gear and divide but the number of teeth on the pinion and youll get your gear ratio.

Back