• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would be better

BigDog

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so before I do one or the other I want to know what others think and would do. If you were only able to put a locker in one or the other what would it be, front axle or rear axle?

I really dont think it makes a diffrence a locker in one or the other makes a big diffrence. But what the hell do i know mines in the rear and its the first locker I have had in a 4 wheel drive. I had posis in street cars but thats no where near the same thing.

Selectable Front....Or selectable rear. Had an ARB in the rear of my old Bronco. Worked good. Too expensive at this time to dump in the Jeep. Going with an Aussie up front, for street manners.

Do the front. Aussie. You wont even notice its there.

SEARCH NEWB. :roflmao:

Gets brought up all the time. My vote, based on years of experience and having run rigs with a single locker in each end at different times, is to do the rear axle first, UNLESS it's a D35. People will argue that the front will help "pull" you over things, etc. The MAJORITY of the time, you are CLIMBING an obstacle, and therefore the majority of the weight is on the rear axle. I'd rather have both wheels going with 75% of the vehicle weight on them, rather than both fronts pulling with only 25% of the vehicle weight on them.

John

SEARCH NEWB. :roflmao:

Gets brought up all the time. My vote, based on years of experience and having run rigs with a single locker in each end at different times, is to do the rear axle first, UNLESS it's a D35. People will argue that the front will help "pull" you over things, etc. The MAJORITY of the time, you are CLIMBING an obstacle, and therefore the majority of the weight is on the rear axle. I'd rather have both wheels going with 75% of the vehicle weight on them, rather than both fronts pulling with only 25% of the vehicle weight on them.

John

This is the best advice I've seen for this commonly asked question.

Well I do have a none c clip D35 but I also have a spare set of shafts to take on the trail. I already have a lock right locker for the rear and the reason I have it is because it came to me as a good deal with the wheels and tires I got.

So what I'm trying to do is decide if I should put the locker I have in the rear seeing how I already have it and the spare set of shafts or if I should try to get rid of it and hope for a good deal on a locker for the front (I don't have spare shafts for the front axle).

My motor swap has gotten out of hand and turned in to a rebuild of almost the whole jeep and the funds are starting to get down there and also I need to get this jeep back out on the road not let it sit around for another year.

So what I'm getting at here if people were in my spot and facing the same things I am right now what would you do? Maybe I should have put it that way to start with, then wouldn't be the commonly ask question as for there is more behind it beside "I'm going to get a locker should I do front or rear first." Does this help at taking away my newly obtained NEWB status LOL

How big are your tires? If you're at 31's I would put the locker in and be gentle. If you're at anything larger, hand the d35 locker off to someone else.

Well Im at 33" but I know of a couple people that say they are locked with 33"s D35 and have had no problems BUT there are also the people that say that, that combo is just asking for it.

The only downfall to me getting rid of this locker is then I will not have one for front or rear and have to hope to find one for the front for a very good deal. I see where you are coming from just hard to make this call when I have been open/open for so long and know I want to be locked. I might have to do some more checking to see what other options I can find but they are getting down there lol. Like I said this rebuild has took a lot more out of the funds then expected it to so not much to work with here any more.

Any one want to trade lockers :roflmao:

The reason you found such a deal on a locker for a Dana 35, is because it's a Dana 35. You won't be so lucky on other axles.

If you lock a Dana 35 on 33" tires, it's asking for trouble. One bad hop on an obstacle...

I did read about a guy putting a d35 locker in a D30 axle,I don't remember the details but he said it worked.
As crazy as it sounds.. I read about it too.. IIRC it was a D35 aussie, that he put in the D30..

I cannot find the thread for the life of me now..

:chef:

That's another thing I was wondering but when I looked up the lock right locker for D35 and D30 they were 2 different parts numbers so I wasn't sure if they would work like that or not. HHHMMM If this was able to de done that would be great.

Seems like every site/forum that has had this topic (Just about all of them) they seem to be 50/50 on what axle to put a locker in if only are doing one.

Back